Bulking - 50g Protein Breakfast

Options
Joordzz93
Joordzz93 Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2017 in Recipes
Hey guys, new on here and trying to bulk up. Just thought id share my breakfast that i make in the mornings with you if anyone is interested. Ive experimented with quantities if stuff so i enjoy the taste but by all means you can alter things as you please. This works out at over 1400 calories.

400ml semi skim milk
1 or 2 bananas
Heaped tbsp peanut butter
Tbsp honey
Tsp maple syrup
150g MyProtein ground oats
2 tbsp cacao powder
Ice cubes

Works out about 50g protein, its not too sweet and the cacao powder makes it nice and chocolatey. Im not a massive fan of peanut butter but its high calories so i try my best to sneak it in some of my meals, you can obviously add in some more! :)

Replies

• ayooladedeji
    ayooladedeji Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hate to state the obvious but 50g of protein for 1400 calories is a very bad protein/calorie ratio.

OP is bulking though
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Hate to state the obvious but 50g of protein for 1400 calories is a very bad protein/calorie ratio.

OP is bulking though

There are 4 calories in a gram of protein. The other 1200(!) calories in this are NOT protein. Bulking or cutting, this is a poor ratio, if the stated intent is to maximize protein.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Hmm too sweet for me, and not enough protein for a bulker. If I didn't have any food sensitivities, I would probably switch to whole milk, get rid of either the honey or maple syrup (or both), add some Greek yogurt and berries.
  • sjerotic
    sjerotic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here is my morning shake - I am loosing weight but I workout first thing in the morning and need this shake to live afterwards (high pressure job).

1 scoop, Amazing Grass Green Superfood Chocolate
    2 scoops, Orgain Organic protein Chocolate
    1 cup Frozen Mixed Fruit
    1 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
    0.25 tsp Organic Ground Cinnamon
    0.5 tsp Organic Acia Powder
    1 tsp Flax Seeds
    1 tsp Chia Seed
    1 cup, Skim Milk
    59 grams, Banana (half a medium banana)

I would love recommendations or comments - I need it to taste chocolaty and be pretty bulky - this blend (with 1 cup of ice and half a cup of water) fills my 24 oz blender bottle.
    et5c6fs1rnx7.jpg

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

OP is bulking though

There are 4 calories in a gram of protein. The other 1200(!) calories in this are NOT protein. Bulking or cutting, this is a poor ratio, if the stated intent is to maximize protein.

While bulking carbs are king, so that protein ratio is just fine, as long as for the day he gets enough. Protein is much more important when cutting than when bulking
  • autumnblade75
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Edited to fix weird double-quoting issue - sorry.
    erickirb wrote: »

OP is bulking though

While bulking carbs are king, so that protein ratio is just fine, as long as for the day he gets enough. Protein is much more important when cutting than when bulking

Ok. So if OP is eating similarly "balanced" meals throughout the day, that's only 14% of his calories from protein.

No one will deny that a surplus is all that's needed to gain weight, though. So, I'd have probably titled the post something more like "Look how many calories I drink for Breakfast!" But that's just me.

I did a quick search, and the recommendation is that when bulking, you should aim to gain 0.5 - 1 lb per week, and consume 0.8 to 1g protein per pound of body weight. So, if OP weighs more than 140 - 150 lbs, he should probably try to increase the protein per calorie in this shake, or brag about the meal he actually eats some protein in. I assume that this is the best example of protein intake based on thread title alone, though, so that's where any criticism I offer comes from.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

OP is bulking though

Ok. So if OP is eating similarly "balanced" meals throughout the day, that's only 14% of his calories from protein.

No one will deny that a surplus is all that's needed to gain weight, though. So, I'd have probably titled the post something more like "Look how many calories I drink for Breakfast!" But that's just me.

I did a quick search, and the recommendation is that when bulking, you should aim to gain 0.5 - 1 lb per week, and consume 0.8 to 1g protein per pound of body weight. So, if OP weighs more than 140 - 150 lbs, he should probably try to increase the protein per calorie in this shake, or brag about the meal he actually eats some protein in. I assume that this is the best example of protein intake based on thread title alone, though, so that's where any criticism I offer comes from.

Nope. If he were extremely lean? Then maybe. But that's quite a bit more protein than necessary for the vast majority of people. For bulking, 0.6 g per lb would be fine.

• autumnblade75
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

OP is bulking though

Nope. If he were extremely lean? Then maybe. But that's quite a bit more protein than necessary for the vast majority of people. For bulking, 0.6 g per lb would be fine.

Can you provide a citation? None of the articles on the first page when I Google "best macros for bulking" suggests less than 0.8g per lb. Except one site recommended by percentages, and called for 35% protein, give or take up to 10%. That would still be at least 25% - and OP's shake is still only at 14% protein. Not high enough of a ratio to brag about.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

OP is bulking though

Can you provide a citation? None of the articles on the first page when I Google "best macros for bulking" suggests less than 0.8g per lb. Except one site recommended by percentages, and called for 35% protein, give or take up to 10%. That would still be at least 25% - and OP's shake is still only at 14% protein. Not high enough of a ratio to brag about.

what was your "source" for .8 to one gram????????????
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP is bulking though

what was your "source" for .8 to one gram????????????

https://www.google.com/search?q=macros+when+bulking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Some of these actually say 0.8 - 1.5g protein per lb bodyweight.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

OP is bulking though

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
    Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.

Addtionally, that's approximately what experts such as Alan Aragon (1.5 g/kg ~ 0.68 g/lb of LBM) recommend.
  • autumnblade75
    Options

OP is bulking though

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
    Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.

Addtionally, that's approximately what experts such as Alan Aragon (1.5 g/kg ~ 0.68 g/lb of LBM) recommend.

After reading the article, I am willing to concede that there may be no need to eat MORE than 0.8g protein per lb of bodyweight. The point still stands that 50g of protein in a 1400 calorie shake is not a hugely impressive feat. Thank you for the link.
  • Joordzz93
    Options
    Interesting read through the comments. I agree that 50g of protein isnt that much for the 1400 calorie shake, the intention isnt to cram as much protein as possible in it for myself. I posted this in the 'recipe' section because thats what it is, a recipe. For myself its a high calorie shake i enjoy, the fact I added in the 50g protein in the title is just to quickly show the protein value if its any use to anyone at a glance. Im by no means bragging or trying to claim 50g is a massive feat for a 1400 calorie shake.

My intention is to bulk, at the end of the day i get enough protein etc to reach my goals which is what matters.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    Joordzz93 wrote: »
    Interesting read through the comments. I agree that 50g of protein isnt that much for the 1400 calorie shake, the intention isnt to cram as much protein as possible in it for myself. I posted this in the 'recipe' section because thats what it is, a recipe. For myself its a high calorie shake i enjoy, the fact I added in the 50g protein in the title is just to quickly show the protein value if its any use to anyone at a glance. Im by no means bragging or trying to claim 50g is a massive feat for a 1400 calorie shake.

My intention is to bulk, at the end of the day i get enough protein etc to reach my goals which is what matters.

I never even noticed we were in the "Recipes" tab. Apologies for the derailment.
  • Joordzz93
    Options
    Joordzz93 wrote: »

I never even noticed we were in the "Recipes" tab. Apologies for the derailment.

No worries! :)