Weight loss and vitamin depletion

Options
Wondering if any intelligent people can shed some light
Ive lost 60lbs since September. It works out about 7lbs a month. 1.3 a week. From what I understand this is safe. Started at 250lbs 5ft8
I'm doing this through cico 1200 a day as much as poss maybe more weekends. Im inactive hence 1200
This time my diet is no fad no yoyo no stupidness not a meal skipped. In fact I now eat more often and more regularly more sensibly balanced not one massive dinner that's it. I'm eating lots of fish beans pulses spinach and even beef and liver. I'm eating better than ever all be it 1200 a day. I just have to eat smart.
So given this - is there any reason anyone can see that I wouldn't get enough vitamins? I just been told I got low iron vit d and folic acid. I take a berocca a day too most days. Thanks in advance

Replies

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you should, but some vitamins are not always absorbed that well by the body. Greens and broccoli are good sources of folate, and many cereals I believe are fortified. For vitamin d, just go outside, without sunscreen for a little bit everyday.
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go outside in a diff country maybe lol. U.K. Sucks for sun. I don't eat cereal at all as milk is one thing I don't like. I will eatyoghurt and cheese just not milk and this cereal
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Well, it is what it is,right? Easily fixed. I think it is now recommended that everyone in northern or cloudy climates should supplement Vit D. It's hard enough to get enough in the summer, but in the winter it's nearly impossible for me in a northern climate. I've supplemented for ten years. It makes a huge difference.

I also use a cast iron skillet for meats. I was anemic for a while, too - not tied to weight-loss. Greens for folate.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Before I started to lose weight, so I'm talking last March my vD was low because my bloods were taken at the end of winter, I now take a supplement. I'm awaiting recent bloods so will be interesting to see what they show. Women often have low iron and folates, just goes with the territory unfortunately. I now take a good multi vit with iron every morning with breakfast ,which contains whole milk and vit C, to aid iron and vitamin absorption.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I ran into that problem, also. My vitamin D was dreadfully low, even though I thought I was eating a rounded, healthy diet at around 1200 calories. The way my doctor explained it is that vitamin D is absorbed especially well in the presence of fat. When you lose weight, you lose fat...and vitamin D can go with it. Combine that with dieting through winter months when a lot of time is spent indoors, and you can have a recipe for a vitamin D deficiency.

I got a RX for 50,000 units for 12 weeks and then go in for a recheck to see if my levels have stabilized.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take liq. vit D every morning, 5000 IU and New Chapter Women's multivitamin. I don't seem to be lacking anything and it's easy to incorporate to your morning routine.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My vitamin D was low when I was fat and after I lost weight. Supplementing now.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    24clouds wrote: »
    Ive lost 60lbs since September. It works out about 7lbs a month. 1.3 a week. From what I understand this is safe. Started at 250lbs 5ft8
    I'm doing this through cico 1200 a day as much as poss maybe more weekends. Im inactive hence 1200
    This time my diet is no fad no yoyo no stupidness not a meal skipped. In fact I now eat more often and more regularly more sensibly balanced not one massive dinner that's it. I'm eating lots of fish beans pulses spinach and even beef and liver. I'm eating better than ever all be it 1200 a day. I just have to eat smart.
    So given this - is there any reason anyone can see that I wouldn't get enough vitamins? I just been told I got low iron vit d and folic acid. I take a berocca a day too most days. Thanks in advance

Many of us in northern climates test low in vitamin D and have to supplement above and beyond what is in a 1-a-day multi.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    24clouds wrote: »

I eat a lot more than 1200 calories but since I am in the Northern US, I too need to supplement with Vitamin D.

I looked up Berocca in the UK. It doesn't have iron or Vitamin D, so that's why it's not helping with those.

Who knows about the folic acid. Perhaps they use a type that is not easily absorbed. Here's the B complex I take: https://www.iherb.com/pr/p/14591

I take C, magnesium, and iron separately. (As well as other vitamins and minerals, but I'm limiting this to your OP and the contents of Berocca.)

When companies try to squeeze too many vitamins and minerals into one serving, you don't get optimal forms and quantities.
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate that x