Sofa to 50k

Options
I'm thinking of starting the sofa to 50K training plan.

Do you think it could be tweaked to runs instead of cross training on the non cycle days?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Is that a cycling thing ... like cycling 50 km? Or running?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's a cycling beginners programme
  • Machka9
    Options
    It's a cycling beginners programme

Where are you at with cycling ... what distances do you currently feel comfortable doing?

How about running?

I ask because I'm very comfortable doing all kinds of distances cycling but on my non-cycling days (rest days), the most I do is walking and some weights. For me, doing a run on those days would be too much work. I can barely manage a 20 min run!

But if you're really comfortable with running, maybe that is a relaxing choice for you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Total novice at cycling, I do cycle and own a bike but just do 10k leisurely rides.

Running wise I do up to 15 miles.

I'd like to start brick training but need to work on the cycling first I think. That's why I think this programme might be good to start with. I just don't own a cross trainer and hate being in doors.
  • Machka9
    Options
    If you're comfortable with 15 miles of running, then maybe just do something like 5 miles on the non-cycling days for a while until you're into somewhat longer cycling distances, and then start working on your brick training.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you can run 15 miles I would think you could ride a bike for 31 miles. You're working your body a lot more running than cycling. Are you looking to be competitive or racing? I'm an all around pretty solid triathlete. I hate swimming just like 99% of the other triathletes. I'm attempting my first Ironman this fall. I've done all other distances. I would say don't over think it and just do it. Take it easy if you have to but I don't see why you couldn't do it.
    Brick workouts are awesome. I enjoy mine for the most part. They even begin to hurt after a certain distance. Good for you on the Brick workouts. Those separate the men from the boys.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    I don't have competitive times in me. I'm 40 now and have bone density issues. Just looking for a new challenge.

I get you on the swimming, I'm rubbish at it but would like to do a bike run event if I can train up in the cycling.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Cross training is usually considered anything different that the sport you are training for. With cycling as your training goal I'd say running would be ok. You will have to be the one to decide on how your body handles the volume. Good luck!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    If you have the cardio base and leg strength for 15 mile runs, then the biggest hurdle to 50k on a bike is probably just comfort and pace. Though I run very little due to back issues, I'd say even 10 miles running is more taxing than 25-30 on a bike.

The one thing I did find as I logged longer rides was that on the bike I can waste a lot more power during acceleration events and in the wind. Cross training on the elliptical with all the data in front of me helped me get more in tune with where and when I was wasting energy on the bike, and now I generally ride more on a heart rate target, with the rate depending on my distance and speed goals.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't run on the non cycling days. The only consideration I would have would be to allow some rest days between the two. I was biking and using the elliptical on alternating days, and a rest day here and there would result in an easier or quicker workout on either the next time.

As for the bricks, I did them here and there after ending the bike ride and home. Since I don't run much and my pacing was an issue, I decided to stop at a school track and do them to work more on my run pace. All I can say is that bike to run isn't the most pleasant thing, but getting back on the bike after a run was just horrible!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to dust the bike of Sunday and give it a try.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    After a bit more advice on this please.

Started the plan and found it easy so jumped a little to week 4 and now tomorrows long ride will be 2 hours.

How do you stop the cycle bum pain? :o
    I have proper padded cycle leggings (Muddy fox) and a decent gel seat but my nether regions feel almost bruised!

Is this something you just have to get on with or is there something I can do to stop it?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Started the plan and found it easy so jumped a little to week 4 and now tomorrows long ride will be 2 hours.

I have proper padded cycle leggings (Muddy fox) and a decent gel seat but my nether regions feel almost bruised!

Is this something you just have to get on with or is there something I can do to stop it?

You'll get used to It!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    I've done some multi-day long rides. Yeah, that second/third/fourth day - the first sit down is painful. After the initial owie, it gets better. It never stopped me from completing a ride.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

You build up to it...

A lot of it is about time in the saddle, but equally bike fit makes a difference.

Personally I'd ditch the gel seat, but the main thing is getting used to it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

You'll get used to It!

Bloody hope so, I'll get it done any way but sitting down afterwards on our garden chairs was ouch!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

You build up to it...

A lot of it is about time in the saddle, but equally bike fit makes a difference.

Which seat would you suggest? I presumed gel would be the most comfortable but I'm a total novice at cycling other than a family chilled 10k to the local park and back type thing.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

You build up to it...

Which seat would you suggest? I presumed gel would be the most comfortable but I'm a total novice at cycling other than a family chilled 10k to the local park and back type thing.

All of my bikes​ have fairly hard seats, but contoured to put less pressure on the perineum. That means your bodyweight is supported by the pelvic basket rather than anything else.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Thank you, makes perfect sense. The perineum is where I'm most tender shall we say.

I think I might nip to the local bike shop Wednesday when I'm off work and get it changed.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    +1 to ditching the gel seat. I also like the seat long enough to allow some forward to rear area slide so you can adjust some with your posture on the bike.

Shorts that wick away and breathe well are also handy.

And no matter what else, time in the saddle and the small fit adjustments to the bike as needed.