Cucumbers

Options
live2dream
live2dream Posts: 614 Member
I got 6-7 cucumbers from the farm the last couple weeks that I need to use up. I've never pickled before and from what I'm reading, the cucumbers I have may be too overripe for pickling. Plus, I don't have dill or any jars. What else could I do with them? I'm sooo sick of salads! Except pasta salad- I made some of that and threw one of the cukes in there!

Replies

• LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You can make a dish by dicing cucumbers, tomatoes and red onions! Add salt and pepper and maybe a splash of balsamic vinegarette. Delicious!
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Slice them and put them in tuna sandwiches.
    I also cut them into stalks and dip them into hummus.
    They are also good in ceviche or gazpacho.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Cucumber soup is nice.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    add it to a stirfry
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I love fresh cucumbers sliced w/ a little salt and pepper and a few tablespoons of light ranch dip. It's a nice little salad to have with lunch of dinner. Yummy!
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    eat them with pepper and herbs and a splash of vinegar, red wine is my fav. Or put them into sandwitches or wraps. YUM
  • lauriannfish
    lauriannfish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to just slice them and eat them as they are. You can peel them if you want to, but I usually don't.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Get some greek yogurt and make a nice tzaziki sauce for dipping or sandwiches :)
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Slice them thin, add some rice wine vinegar, touch of soy and a dash of agave nectar instead of sugar. Its a quick Japanese cucumber pickle.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Do you have a juicer? Cucumber juice is sooo refreshing, especially with a little lemon.
  • ItsMeTime
    ItsMeTime Posts: 44
    Options
    Whole grain bread and light cream cheese- makes a great veggie sandwich with the cucmber slices
  • dino_morgan
    dino_morgan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use cucumbers as toppings on food I would usually put tomatoes and spinach on. I use all three on burritos, nachos, etc. It's delicious! :)
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    cucumber sticks with greek lowfat yoghurt! :D yummy
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Slice them thin, add some rice wine vinegar, touch of soy and a dash of agave nectar instead of sugar. Its a quick Japanese cucumber pickle.

That sounds reallyi good. . Thank you for sharing.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Quick pickles, aka bread and butter pickle**. Cider vinegar, onion, fresh garlic, and a wee pinch of sugar. Black pepper, bay leaves, basil, etc., can also be added if you're adventureous; and if the cider vinegar is too harsh, I tend to cut it a bit with water, probably not more than 50:50. Just throw sliced cucumbers in this mixture in a jar, leave it in the fridge for a few days, and eat within a couple of weeks. I've seen recipes that heat up the vinegar mixture, and ones that use more sugar, and I've never done either. I like to eat the onions and garlic with the cucumbers, too. Look for recipes on google, too.

I've also grated them longwise with cabbage and onions and garlic and given a similar treatment. Makes a crazy good condiment for things like hamburgers, brats, etc.

**Yes, I know, it's not really pickled. Its just what my mom called 'em.

Oo, cucumber soup... very summer and fresh. If you go to allrecipes dot com and put in "cucumber" they seem to have a lot!
  • AugiPug
    AugiPug Posts: 3
    Options
    Make chilled cucumber soup.
    2 or 3 cucumbers
    1 cup plain greek yogurt
    Fresh or dried dill
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Puree in blender or food processor till smooth
    Enjoy!!
  • sarebak
    sarebak Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i've marinated them in a light italian dressing and then put them on the grill. pretty good.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Great ideas all! Thanks! :)
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    In the water pitcher ! To replace lemons !
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OOO! Grilled cucumbers! Cucumber summer beverage! OMG, those sound AWESOME!
    Thanks for this thread, I'm off to the store for come cukes.