On my way... but to where?

Options
Hi all,

I`ve been using MFP for 2 months now but today is my first day checking out the forums. Starting weight 372, down to 335 today. Woo hoo! Feeling good about the accomplishment (10% body weight loss) but my body is exhausted and I guess I`m feeling kinda lonely and wanting to reach out to others who have been where I`m at and can inspire me when I need it.

So far my motivation is still very high, but I`ve been down this road before and I know that I can suddenly lose all motivation and regain the weight - again. I`ve lost over 100lbs twice before, and this time I want it to stick. I feel like I`m headed in the right direction, but there is some self-doubt there. The psychological effects of weight loss seem to be my biggest stumbling block, and I`m hoping to figure out a way to overcome such obstacles this time around.

Anyway, I decided to put myself out here and see if there are others who are in similar situations. I don`t have any friends on here yet, but am hoping to find some eventually. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I come on here daily to give support, and to get it. I, also, don't want to regain hard lost pounds like has happened many times in the past. Keep reading these boards and you'll find people in the same boat. Many people!
  • graydreams
    graydreams Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've done a great job so far. The fact you did this before means you have some experience on what works for you :) What do you mean by the psychological effects of weight loss?
  • damdam96
    damdam96 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello! These forums are so great, discovered them this week and they've been a massive help. For me, there are so many times I don't feel motivated. On those days, I rely on discipline. I have routine I follow so it's basically just muscle memory. You've done this before and you can do it again! Feel free to add me as a friend for daily encouragement
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on being off to such a great start! When I first found the forums, I got so much motivation from this thread - it's truly inspiring and one of my favorites to go back and read :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10087100/what-nobody-tells-you-about-losing-weight#latest

• theonlyanneb
    theonlyanneb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the messages ladies. The biggest psychological roadblock I have is about failure. I feel like every time I gained the weight back, I've failed myself. I don't want to fail again. I waited several years before making this latest attempt because I think I just couldn't accept the possibility of failing yet again. I chose to carry around all of this extra weight rather than lose it and accept the possibility that I may gain it all again. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs multiple times as well, but I never got this lean or got my thinking corrected as much before I found this place. The community is -mostly- very level headed here and preaches solid advice. The calorie tracking app works amazing, and while my recommended calories are lower than I ever thought they would be, I find myself leaning out greater than ever before and getting in the best shape of my life. Between picking up a new martial arts hobby (and its community) and this app (and its community) Im down over 130lbs and this time I know it is forever. If you dig deep I know you can make it happen too. This website is that "one trick" that actually works.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have lost many pounds and I have gained back the same pounds. It is a life style change of eating habits. It helps to set up a weight limit that you will not go over.

My first weight was 200. Now it is 180 pounds.

It helps a lot to come to the forums. Record your weigbt weekly.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the self doubt. I've lost a substantial amount of weight a few times in the past, but always had a fear of not reaching my goal due to a loss of motivation. Sure enough, the motivation faded due to one thing or another, and I would return to my old eating habits and regain.

This time around, I've discovered that a low carb diet really agrees with me. It came as a big surprise. At first I thought, "A lifetime of meat and veggies? Impossible!" Then after a few months of meat and veggies, I would think, "I've never had this level of contentment and self control before, but how long will it last? What is it going to be this time that derails me?" I talked to a nutritionist about it and she said that her father had only eaten meat and veggies his whole life and was very content doing so.

Then I talked with a very slender 90 year old lady about her relationship with food. She said that good eating habits take a long time to cultivate. Years. She said habits couldn't be cultivated if you kept allowing exceptions to your rules, or if you allowed yourself to have doubts about the future. Once you discover the type of eating that brings you true satisfaction, not just fleeting pleasure, you need to latch on to the belief that eating for true satisfaction is something you can and will love to do forever.

You have to guard that belief, and when doubts come, push them aside and turn your thoughts to all the benefits you find from making the right choices. Believe in your decision. Believe in yourself. Believe that your future with food will be happy. Doubts open a door that should be kept closed and locked.

That advice has helped me tremendously. I have experienced so much failure in the past with food/diet/weight that it is an effort to turn my mind to positive, hopeful thoughts. After 5 months I'm getting better at it, and I feel much more relaxed and optimistic about a healthy future.
  • theonlyanneb
    theonlyanneb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your insightful words! I think I'm starting to find my own way also...at least I hope I am. Time will tell! I hope your journey brings you everything you hoped for and more!
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the messages ladies. The biggest psychological roadblock I have is about failure. I feel like every time I gained the weight back, I've failed myself. I don't want to fail again. I waited several years before making this latest attempt because I think I just couldn't accept the possibility of failing yet again. I chose to carry around all of this extra weight rather than lose it and accept the possibility that I may gain it all again. Has anyone else experienced this?

In my experience it has been a journey with teaching myself mental self awareness as much as weight loss/muscle training. I've had to drop the whole "failure" tag on myself and instead forgive.

I use to rely on my scale for progress and motivation but that didn't help either, especially thanks to monthly water gain, muscle growth weight, etc. So...It was going to be a long haul, roller coaster, painful life long journey and I had to accept that.

Mentally it sounds tiring, annoying, painful, and frustrating but I want to stay alive without medical problems so I'll do it.