Any BMX racers out there?

Options
My kids race BMX and I was tired of standing on the sidelines and just keeping score. My husband had a custom 24" cruiser made for me for our anniversary. Just curious if anyone else out there races...

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My oldest has gone bonkers in motox, so he spends a lot of time bmx-ing when he's not burning gas. No racing, but I'm getting familiar with the riding lifestyle.

Fun stuff!
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    BMX was my thing back in the day. I would hit the dirt tracks all day. I think I rode my bike more in one day than my kids have done all summer.

Just like skiing, I don't think it is wise for me to pick these sports back up. I fear I will try to pull off the tricks I would do as a teen. Probably won't end well for an old man.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I rode Freestyle BMX back in the day. Haven't touched my bike in about 4-5 years though...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That sounds fun. I mountain bike race (very slowly) but no BMX. BMX doesn't seem to be much of a thing in Colorado.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    qwikstreet wrote: »
    BMX was my thing back in the day. I would hit the dirt tracks all day. I think I rode my bike more in one day than my kids have done all summer.

Just like skiing, I don't think it is wise for me to pick these sports back up. I fear I will try to pull off the tricks I would do as a teen. Probably won't end well for an old man.

^ An internal conversation I have with myself every time I get on my mountain bike. :)
  • eastbke
    eastbke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    a1xrujp5nmre.jpeg
    At the age of 31, I still ride most days of the week along with hitting the gym. Definitely an awesome recreational activity to stay in shape.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I used to race back in the day along side two of my three brothers and our dad joined us too! So many fun times at the track with my family! I raced again when I was 18 or 19 with my boyfriend of the time; he was a freestyle rider and I converted him for awhile. :smile: I'd be nervous to do it now but maybe when my kids are a little older we can do the family thing at the track again!
  • Lesgamble
    Lesgamble Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We've just completed our 5th season racing BMX in Christchurch, New Zealand. I got the kids into it when they were 5&6 yrs old, and I was desperate to give it a shot too. After years of riding/racing MTBs and MX, it was a bit of a shock to realise that my bike skills were so deficient :)
    My daughter got South Island 4th as a 7yr old, but has taken a break from racing after a couple of seasons. She vows that to return as a teen. My son (now 10) is going hard-out and will be thrashing me in the next season or 2.

I can highly recommend BMX racing as a sport for both kids and adults. Its basically high intensity intervals, but with a huge grin-factor. Its a great buzz to be able to ride with your kids, and it turns them into awesome MTB shredders too! All the BMX skills transfer directly into MTB

After 5 seasons I've still haven't mastered the skills (especially manuals, and jumping), but my gate starts and general fitness/strength have improved.
    Managed to scrape 3rd in the South Island Champs on the 24" Cruiser this year (I choked in the 20" class semi's :( )

Good things come to those who gate!!

mnbwi1y1jjb4.jpg
    fa5ub7uzcv5q.jpg
    b43t3wkfrnjb.jpg

• Lesgamble
    Lesgamble Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just had to post this shot of the boy, because he is gorgeous :)
    This was taken last year at Christchurch Adventure Park, before forest fires ripped though it :(
    Hopefully it will be open next summer (minus the trees) so we can hit the trails again

0ggjdj2a10sj.jpg
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I never really raced, but we engaged in all kinds of BMX stupidity in our younger days in Southern California. Being I managed to escape that without any major bone breaks, tempting fate at this age might not be wise.

Great for cardio and balance though, and I hope you have fun!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Don't ride the bmx bikes anymore. Was more of a skate boarder then as well.

Love mountain biking though and plan on doing some races when I get to my goal weight. One of the main reasons I'm trying to lose.