Need supplement advice/thoughts for a minor (if any nutritio

Options
bzmom
bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
Hello Everyone,

Im just curious about your thoughts/views on this subject.

I have a 14year old boy (just turned 14 last week) He is curretnly enrolled in H.S. Football he began training In January doing weight lifting in school. When summer break began they moved training/practice from 1hr to 3-4hrs a day wich include endurance (weight training), cardio (running) and of course practicing plays.

He has been loosing weight and of course gaining muscle and has asked me if he can drink protein shakes too. Now I asked the lady at vitamin shoppe and she said they can not recommended to anyone below 15yrs old. When I called the pediatrician she said not till he is 21yrs old.

He is not good with dairy products and cant really eat eggs either (they get him sick).

My question does a 14yr old doing this kind of workouts/training need some type of supplement? Is protein powder really not good for him? what altrenatives may he have??

Thank you in advance :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tinamarie204
    Options
    My sons are also active in sports...he should be able to get all the vitamins and minerals, plus the protein he needs just by eating a healthy proper diet.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your pediatrician for a referral to a nutritionist.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your pediatrician for a referral to a nutritionist.

Ditto!!!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I know nothing about this stuff, but is it possible to add more lean meats to his meals? Chicken, Tuna, etc?
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    no expert here, but I would just real food is always best, especially for a teen. Chicken, fish, lean meats etc, those will do the trick.
  • MichMich1982
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. but I know what he may need to do is beef up his protein intake naturally. So eating more red meat, eggs, etc. He may also need to eat more frequently during the day, maybe five meals/day. Here's a thought...put in his weight and number of hrs of exercise per day/per week...see how much calories they recommend and adjust his diet accordingly. Just my two cents.
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Most doctors will tell you not to give the powder to developing bodies due to the effect of too much protein on the kidneys which are still growing. It takes quite a bit of protein over extended periods of time for damage to occur. I took protein powder from about the age of 12 until 18, at the doctors advice, guess that just shows how medical opinion changes in 20+ years. I agree with one of the previous responders though, that getting a referral to a nutritionist is probably the smartest approach.
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A fourteen year old boy who is inactive needs way more calories than an adult just because of his growing needs adding strength training into that ups it even more, trying to generate a target calorie range with MFP will not be accuret due to the age. Look at overall calorie intake not just protein.
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    when i was that old and on the football team i ate a butt load of chicken and brown rice, spinach, and mixed vegetables...i kept up with the other boys that were on the fancy metrx bars and shakes, i couldnt afford that stuff, so i did it with just good nutrition, i cant say its bad for him just not needed, but im in no way a doctor or nutrionist but i can speak from my experience

best of luck to ya'll
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    At 15 years old, he should not be worried about drinking protein shakes. Now if he was allergic to meats, beans, eggs, and other products that significantly had higher protein content then maybe (with a doctor approval) he should intake whey protein. Otherwise, it is not needed and he should get his macro and micronutrients from foods.

He should be eating like a horse if he is interested in football.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but I think your son's pediatrician would know what is best for a growing 14 year old - as opposed to those on MFP who have no medical background. Granted, some may tell you what you are looking to hear but once again, his doctor knows best.

Encourage him to eat more protein or more calories period. Give him a multi-vitamin. Call it a day.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!! NurseLocke your not rude I asked for your thoughts and thank your for adding them. I will just try to add more hight protein foods that he will eat. Unfortunately he is a picky eater and I understand he should be eating a nice large amount of calories but sometimes I cant make him eat enough. I have to almost force him telling him he cant have the ice cream he wants or pudding till he eats at least something before it and no he does not eat alot of junk food either this is just every once in a while its just that I prefer him to eat more food rather than a pudding :smile: .
  • Slimntrim90
    Options
    High protein intake can be a problem IF your son is not flushing his kidneys well by drinking a lot of water. Just be sure he remembers to drink a lot of water because proteins are larger than carbs or fats (in size) and can clog the kidneys if not accompanied with sufficient water intake.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    High protein intake can be a problem IF your son is not flushing his kidneys well by drinking a lot of water. Just be sure he remembers to drink a lot of water because proteins are larger than carbs or fats (in size) and can clog the kidneys if not accompanied with sufficient water intake.

Just don't overdue it with the water! For him, (and in the heat) 64-68oz is PLENTY!! Once again, it will deplete his body of necessary electrolytes which can be far worse!!