I think I see a pattern

Options
I've been tracking everything I eat for three weeks and I believe I see a pattern. I'm almost always over on my sugar intake. I'm going to try to eat very much less sugar this week...I don't have any problem giving up fat and i can even stay away from bread, rice etc...but sugar I believe is my problem I'm always over on protien too so I think I have to eat more vegtables and less fruit (not to mention my sweets) I think it will be hard to eat enough calories without the sugar and carbs if I don't eat more protien. I feel like a science experiment gone wrong lol....how to stay within the food nutrient categories is hard! I think I may need a precribed menu. Does anyone have a menu they follow that stays within the 1200 calories and nutrient allotments?BTW...havn't lost a lb. yet. That's why I'm anxious to tweak this and see some results this week. (no my clothes don't feel better either and I'm tired all the time) My Dr. said my age is against me and that I have to exercise until I cry or throw up like they do on TV dieting shows.

Replies

• rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm having such a hard time with sugar, too. It's not from anything like cookies or ice cream or candy bars, either -- it almost ALL comes from fruit! I love fruit, and it's my go-to snack. Plus my breakfast every morning is a green smoothie made with fresh fruit and spinach. I guess that's better than getting my sugar from dessert-type foods, because I know fruit has a lot of other benefits, but... argh, it's so frustrating!
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or anything of course, but from the research I have done about protein, I wouldn't worry about staying in the range that MFP allots. I too need to decrease my sugar intake, but I keep up on the protein.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Bull puckie on the "Work out till you puke or cry." I lost 52 lbs in 8 months at age 53 and I never felt that way. I did work out consistently, but only in the aerobics zone or under for about one hour a day 4-5 days a week.

I was consistent on my food, too. No processed sugar for most of that time. I still ate fructose and lactose (fruit and dairy sugars.)

Don't use your age or menopause or blah blah blah as an excuse. Just be consistent, set your weight loss realistically and don't expect to lose every week.

Here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You need to eat CLOSE to or exactly 1200 calories AFTER exercising. DO NOT worry about being over on protein. Being over on protein is actually fine as long as it's LEAN protein like Turkey, Chicken, Fish, etc. No bacon, sausage or the like. Eat red meat sparingly.

I agree about eating more vegetables and find fruits LOW in sugar. Hope this helps.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    as i use virtually no artificial or processed sugars, (and i am not diabetic) i pay no attention to the sugar count *S* (because the sugars in the natural foods i am getting as fine for me)
    sodium is more important to me.

i also pay no attention to the fat as we all NEED fats, so long as we are getting them from healthy sources... olive oil, avocados, eggs, nuts etc.

i still have pasta and rice and potatoes etc. because i cannot imagine life without things i love *L*

i follow a 1200 cal per day plan, and DO eat back my exercise calories *S*

i also make sure i drink at least 12 glasses of water daily.

feel free to look at my diary if you wish, it's public *S*
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I actually ignore sugar altogether. Most of my sugar comes from fruits and I don't know of anyone who became fat and/or diabetic because of fruit. I try to keep my carbs, fat, and protein within certain limits, I keep my calories on target, and I keep my sodium and cholesterol very low. My BP has come down to the point that the doc and I will soon be discussing conditions to come off my meds and I've lost 26 pounds in three months...and I'm over on my sugar every day. Personally, I'd only worry about it excessively if you've been diagnosed as pre-diabetic.
  • georroy
    georroy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should eat a gram of protein for every pound you want to weigh. Muscle burns fat and you need protein to feed muscle.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    I'm having such a hard time with sugar, too. It's not from anything like cookies or ice cream or candy bars, either -- it almost ALL comes from fruit! I love fruit, and it's my go-to snack. Plus my breakfast every morning is a green smoothie made with fresh fruit and spinach. I guess that's better than getting my sugar from dessert-type foods, because I know fruit has a lot of other benefits, but... argh, it's so frustrating!

If you are over on your sugar and it is because of fruit, don't worry about it. Fruit is good for you. Plus, the numbers that MFP provides are only recommendations.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Bull puckie on the "Work out till you puke or cry." I lost 52 lbs in 8 months at age 53 and I never felt that way. I did work out consistently, but only in the aerobics zone or under for about one hour a day 4-5 days a week.

I was consistent on my food, too. No processed sugar for most of that time. I still ate fructose and lactose (fruit and dairy sugars.)

Don't use your age or menopause or blah blah blah as an excuse. Just be consistent, set your weight loss realistically and don't expect to lose every week.

*LOL*
    love this!

(yup, 54 myself and i agree completely.. consistency works!.. so does eating all your calories, exercise ones included..BUT you can still lose without exercizing too as i lost 1/2 my weight that way)
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar but I did see that I was over on my carbs by quite a bit even though everything else was within the right range. Set out to keep with my carb goal and reducing that also led to reducing my sugar. Within four days I lost 2 pounds and am continuing to lose by doing this. I hadn't lost a pound in the last few months even though I should have based on my calories and everything else. So, it could definitely help you. :) Good luck.
  • vinkariz
    vinkariz Posts: 17
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the comments. All good advice. I agree...no one got fat from eating blueberries. Consistency....I'll work on that. So far I think I have been. I'm going to watch the carb intake and find a new Dr. lol.
  • KandiAndi
    KandiAndi Posts: 7
    Options
    I would seriously question a doctor who told you that. That just does not seem like realistic or healthy advice regarding exercise!
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You need to eat CLOSE to or exactly 1200 calories AFTER exercising. DO NOT worry about being over on protein. Being over on protein is actually fine as long as it's LEAN protein like Turkey, Chicken, Fish, etc. No bacon, sausage or the like. Eat red meat sparingly.

I agree about eating more vegetables and find fruits LOW in sugar. Hope this helps.

No bacon??? 3 slices is just 110 calories and loaded with good fat and protien.
    I've lost 5.4 lbs in two weeks and I eat bacon and eggs every day! Check out my food diary.
    It's not perfect, but a good example of how you can eat very satisfying meals without all the starchy carbs that spike your blood sugar and cause fat storage.