"Real athletes (lifters) don't use fitness trackers"

Options
13»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Heart Rate Monitors are designed for long steady state cardio - running, biking, swimming. The algorithms are all based upon these models, so the more you stray from this, the less accurate your estimation.

I use a fitbit Flex 2 to track my daily steps, but switch over to a Polar H7 for my run/bike/swim. I don't use a tracker for lifting.

Heart rate monitors are just sensors, they don't have algorithms. They're like thermometers.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like my Apple Watch for this.

Now, there isn't a "workout" for weight lifting but it helps me a ton to make sure I'm not working to hard (heartrate tracker) with each set. I can bring my heart rate down between sets and that helps me a lot.

Fitbit is a different thing for me, so I can't vouch for its usefulness. My BFF has one and it's mostly steps. But I know there are different ones to choose from.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    I posted this in here (not in the fitness forum) because I wanted to get advice from lifters and bodybuilders. I'm about to turn 30 and I'm really excited to see what my body can do as soon as I'm done with my last pregnancy in July. I plan to focus on heavy lifting and see how strong I can get.

But I want to get lean, too. I also love to eat. So I brought up getting a fitness tracker to my husband. He shrugged and said, "Those are for counting steps. Not for lifters. I don't think serious lifters use those things."

Of all the research I've done, the ones that track your heart rate sound pretty useless anyway for figuring out how much you burn during a weightlifting session. And since I do minimal cardio (a couple miles a day maybe of walking the dog), and the rest is just walking around the house chasing the kids, I guess what I'm asking is, is a fitness tracker for a lifter a worthwhile purchase or not? Because right now I could either buy a FitBit or add equipment to my home gym and I'm wondering what's a better purchase at this point.

I am not sure if what you mean by real athletes, like, professionals with a call away to their dietitians, massage therapists, strength coaches etc etc? Well turns out I don't have any of those on my fast dials.

So I need to pucker up and try to estimate my TDEE, workouts, rest days, while navigating through my "real" work. The trackers, HR monitors helped me so much so far, so I don't really care what the "real athletes" do to be honest, I do what works for me. If you have a chance, I would give them a try though, its one of those things, works for some, doesn't for others.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    A lot of good input here... thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. I'm thinking of getting a China cheapie (they're like $22 on Amazon, with decent reviews) and seeing how useful I find it. I do think it would motivate me to move more outside my workouts.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'd ask them what their marathon time is :D
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have one and I just don't wear it during my workouts. I use it just for my daily calorie needs. I too realized I was undereating when I realized how much I was burning from walks and daily cleaning. It can also be a motivator for me to move more. I used to think that if I exercised for just an hour a day that was considered an active lifestyle...not when you sit on your butt for the rest of the day. As for weight lifting, they are useless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A fitness tracker/fitbit, etc is going to be pretty useless for anything besides step based activity...it's really just a fancy pedometer. A fitness tracker may encourage you to move more...it may not, but as far as tracking anything meaningful for lifting, it won't.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I can see how they'd be useful but I can also see how they could easily lead to been overly obsessive over food, so for me personally I avoid them.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I was really torn about this too. After reading a ton of reviews and watching a bunch of review YouTube videos, the only Fitbit that seemed to come close to being helpful for weightlifting was the Charge 2. (He used it in comparison to a chest heart rate monitor). Since I didn't want to waste money why undecided to do was download the Fitbit app on my phone and link it to Apple health. This way I could just use the pedometer on my phone for a while to see if I actually cared about any of the information. It was eye opening!

1) I don't move NEARLY as much as I thought I did. I always put lightly active but I'm basically sedentary, especially on weekends where I do work from home (separate from my day job). I did NOT like seeing that.

2) Since sometimes I put my phone down and walk around without it my numbers are less accurate. I realized just how much I want more accurate data. I suddenly really wanted a wearable to dial in those numbers.

3) I don't track my water intake on MFP, I just can't be bothered. But I love to track it on FitBit. I'm seeing that some days my water is stupid low.

4) Seeing how few steps I was taking really made me realize that I was ready to do more cardio. Get back to running. So I've started power walking with the Zombies, Run! app, and am working my way back to running 3km a night.

So maybe try using the Fitbit app on your phone for a while because it may help you discover what info is important to you before you take the plunge.

Oh at the start of this I was also torn between the Alta, Alta HR, and Charge 2. I ended up ordering the Charge 2 a few nights ago.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I vote for you to get a set of weights (pink if you can swing it), a resistance band, a foam core roller, a yoga mat, and a food scale.

The food scale will help you stay lean with maximum calories (with MFP's help).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you are only lifting- then no- not really worth it.

But if you want a new toy to help you get more steps in- then have at it.

I personally can't be bothered. People have been doing this for years without fitness trackers- but if you think it'll make you happy and impact your life in a positive/meaningful way- then have at it.