Can I get some help to get me back on track?

Hi guys,

I was doing pretty well for a while. And then I got unfairly fired from my internship, which made me pretty depressed for the last week. I went to my parents' house to recoup and wound up eating horribly -- they eat out all of the time and I LOVE eating at restaurants so I easily get sucked in, even when it's just fast food. Then on Tuesday, my boyfriend got the call that he got a (really good) job in DC and will finally be moving here. This made me happy obviously, as we've been long distance for over a year and have never lived in the same city before. However, this soon turned to stress over finding him an apartment quickly, and the little bit I was caring about my diet completely vanished.

Now I am back in DC in my own apartment with my own relatively healthy food but I am having such a hard time getting in the right mindset again. I'm still a little stressed and a bit depressed. My brain tells me to eat even when my body isn't hungry.

Do you have any advice to get out of a slump like this? Or how to make your emotions not impact how you feel about eating well?

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    I don't have an immediately advice at this time, but add me as a friend and I'll keep you motivated!!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    yes! come and join the "BOB Challenge" and friend all of us!!!

see my signature for details, it's a blast!

best wishes for your success:flowerforyou:
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    How is your exercise going? Sometimes when I am feeling down and want to eat, I tell myself to go for a walk. Getting out and moving seems to help my mood and often the desire to eat will be gone. Something to try.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    That's a tough one. It's hard to avoid every stressful situation, but anything you can do to minimize the stress helps. For when I can't avoid stress, I picked a "stress" food - carrots. I can nibble, crunch, snap, and grind for very few calories. And running helps me to bodily work off stress.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    I've done the same as you.....completely fell away from eating correctly. I am working on changing my mindset to get back with eating healthy and losing the weight. I've gained back the pounds I lost and since I have a full time job now I find myself grabbing fast food for lunches and some dinners and am back to the sweet cravings which I've given in to. I wish you the best in this battle and I am slowly going to try to achieve back my goals.
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Just try to take it one step at a time, start logging your food, go for a walk, drink water. You know, the little things. Some times it is hard to get back on track nbut the sooner you do the better off you will be :-)

Good luck!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Take a hot bath, give yourself a home facial & de stress - drink 20 oz of water
    Tomorrow is another day, plan your menu & give it your best effort
    That's all you CAN do, then let it go
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    I wish I had good advice for you. It sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate.

Feel free to add me as a friend, and I will do my best to encourage and motivate you, and hopefully we can both get that mean little voice out of our head telling us to eat when we don't need to.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    I make myself go exercise when I'm stressed or upset - that in turn helps to reduce the stress and I feel better about myself, and can get back into the right mindset. You may have to force yourself, but once you get out there and get moving, you WILL feel better. Even if it's just going for a long walk, which gives you some time to think and process things. But working up a good sweat is even more cathartic :-)
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    A few tips that worked for me...

1. If you can, throw out (or donate) all the bad junk food around you and stock up with what you know to be good foods for you. For both a quick lunch to throw together, dinners, as well as the small snacks...this way you aren't tempted.

2. Even while you are eating poorly, keep your diary up to date with your food. This way, you can reflect back on yourself on how you ate and maybe try for a better day tomorrow.

3. Keep moving...even if its a 30 minute stroll or 100 sit ups at night before bed. Do some squats while brushing your teeth (and my boyfriend finds that to be the hilarious of the bunch)....

4. Remember you can do it and its okay to feel the emotions and just keep pushing forward. I have a journal with me where I can write down all my emotions... i also vent to a few close friends (thank you to those who are them) and it helps me relax and move on.

We are human and we have our ups and downs but let yourself get back up from being down. Add me if you want some more support and an honest friend.... Good luck and enjoy DC... :) I miss it!
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Wow, sounds like it has been a rough few weeks. Try to distract yourself as much as you can so food isn't your main focus. I am a complete emotional eater and I find I try to distract myself by playing a physical game (like WiiFit) or go for some walks. Really ask yourself when you feel you want to eat if you are hungry or just bummed and bored. Think of the success you have had to help you get back on track.

I hope things get better for you very soon!
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    I'm in the same situation right now. Not with the whole boyfriend thing but getting off track - WAYYY OFF TRACK! Like today, I had a bowl of Golden Grahams and OJ for breakfast, a slice of cheese pizza for "snack", the Krystal Chics meal from Krystals (3 chics, all the fries, and 1/2 of my coke), fresh corn on the cobb, green beans, fried potatoes, cantaloupe, and cucumbers for dinner, and then my daughter wanted an ice cream from Dairy Queen so I ended up splitting an Oreo Earthquake Brownie with my husband. And on top of that, I ended up eating another piece of pizza! WTF?! I mean seriously, it's like I have no self control anymore! Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other to get back on track! I have held steady at the 150-155 mark for 6 months now and I KNOW it's because of my binge eating craziness! Ughh...
  • FilmGirl
    FilmGirl Posts: 5 Member
    I do the same thing when I go home to visit my family. I rarely stick with the diet. I have found that if I am in a pinch and have to eat fast food or don't eat at all, there are a few places that have grilled chicken salads on the menu. I feel like I'm not really cheating since I am logging everything I eat. I agree the carrots as a stress munchie will really work.
    You can add me and we can help keep each other motivated.

Good luck!
  • I had a multi-year slump while my hubby was fighting cancer. (He's much better now!) I was so depressed and sad and tired, and I stopped eating right and exercising. When things started stabalizing in my life, I started thinking about getting in shape and losing weight. The sad thing is that I would have been so much better off when I was going through that period if I had been exercising becuase of the mood stabilizing benefits, but you can know that intellectually and still not do anything about it. I think the hardest part is the first month when you're hungry because you're not used to the calorie levels, and exercising is so hard becuase you're out of shape. After that it gets easier because it's a habit. My advice is to get someone to exercise with on a schedule so you have to meet them somewhere. Much easier to bail on yourself than on someone else. Start exercising first, then diet a little later on. I used to be an "all diet, no exercise" person, but I definitely see exercise as a crucial aspect now. I hate it less and less every day. Oh, this is not an advert, but I joined Planet Fitness a month ago, and you can't beat the price! They seem to be all over the place, but I don't know about the DC area. Btw, lucky you living in DC! If I could live anywhere in the US (mind you I haven't travelled all over yet) I would live in Georgetown.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    welcome back im glad u came back to us. We are here for u every step of the way. My advice is just don't dweld over the past; lets make this a new start for u. like i always said.....at least u are not giving up ..im proud of u