How to make exercise enjoyable

Options

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Fitness classes are the magic key for me! Hate the gym, running is uncomfortable and lonely, not into biking. Fitness classes? I can dance! I can Spin! I can bounce on a mini trampoline!

ditto
    I punch invisible idiots and hit the floor with drumsticks! classes rule!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I love to exercise but my husband does not. What does he do? He knows that he is reaping many health benefits from it, and enhances his weight loss efforts when needed. Maybe too he is trying to keep up with me.. lol

But in any regards, if you can't get past the idea that you hate purposeful exercise, try to look at it from your health and weight management stand point.

I agree that doing something you can find some enjoyment factor in it will go a very long way.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE HAS TIME! How bad do you want it? MAKE IT HAPPEN!.

Lol not when you have a little girl with tennis lessons and a teenage son who is the drum major of his marching band.

Sorry, poor excuse. Most recent US presidents have exercised on a regular basis. Are you busier than they were.

How about working out at 5 AM? Doubt if tennis lessons or marching band activities going on then.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Music helps I like running a lot more to Broadway show tunes for example
    Friends help ie walking or running or really anything with a friend
    Cooperative team sports add the friends and social life to exercise
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Lol not when you have a little girl with tennis lessons and a teenage son who is the drum major of his marching band.

I have a 19 year old at home starting college this fall, a 13 year old who is in hockey and spends 4 days a week at the rink, and I work from 5 am until 5 pm four days a week. I still get in my 30 minute workout six days a week. 30 minutes isn't a long time, and after you do it for a bit, you start to find you're whole day gets easier

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Having said all that, I work out at home and it's the best decision I've ever made. Every lb lost and every gain made happened outside of a gym. I found with my gym memberships, it was too easy to say, "It's -40 out, I'm not getting in the car" or "I'm already running across town to go to hockey, I don't have time to get to the gym" And once you make that excuse once, it gets easier and easier to come up with another. Now no matter how busy my day is, when I finally plop on the couch and look at the TV, I tell myself, "It's only a half hour" and push play
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Just get out and do something.. keep trying options till you find something you enjoy. Try working out with a buddy... some people need an accountability partner.. some people need to train alone.

Don't look at it as flailing, but as sampling... There's a million different things to try... once you find a fit, stick with it. and get organized.
  • vnsabrwn9
    vnsabrwn9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a awesome time riding my bike yesterday. Beautiful day on Lake Michigan!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Doesn't have to be "exercise". Can be any physical activity. Gardening, yard work, landscaping, window shopping, sight seeing... YOU have to find something you like, it's really hard to force yourself to like something you don't.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to podcasts. Some I like:

Shredded by Science
    Radiolab
    Snap Judgement
    Criminal
  • kiiibbb112253
    kiiibbb112253 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

And what are you doing while they are at their activities?

I stay there volunteering with my wife
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Go outside! That makes it more interesting. On a bike or in a pair of running shoes. If you can't run, power walk. A stationary bike is boring as is the treadmill. If exercise a chore, you won't stick with it. When I had teenage kids at home, I set my alarm an hour early so I could get my exercise done (walking then eventually running) before the house woke up. It was really hard at first but within a few months, it became a part of my day I looked forward to. A friend of mine who had kids that were going to soccer, and other activities, she went running while they were at their practices. She just wore or brought her running clothes and ran then.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am a person who overall does not enjoy exercise. I can't go out and play tennis because I don't have a lot of time on my hands. The only thing I have is a stationary bike that I can use right before work starts. I listen to music, but that gets boring rather quickly. Do you guys have any ideas on how I could spice up my exercise?
    Watch a movie or a show that you really like!!!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

So no one whose kids have activities can exercise themselves? Wow.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

And what are you doing while they are at their activities?

I stay there volunteering with my wife

I was very active with my kids activities as they were growing up. Also worked a high stress job and had a 45-60 minute one way commute.

If you work out at 5 AM, in most cases, nobody will bother you.
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Make a playlist of your absolute favorite music :)
    Find something that works for you... maybe you just don't enjoy what you've tried.
    Anything can become exercise... dog walking, hiking, grocery shopping, swimming.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am a person who overall does not enjoy exercise. I can't go out and play tennis because I don't have a lot of time on my hands. The only thing I have is a stationary bike that I can use right before work starts. I listen to music, but that gets boring rather quickly. Do you guys have any ideas on how I could spice up my exercise?

I used to have a "dreadmill".....yeah, that was boring too. I switched to something else.

For your bike - maybe look for interval workout ideas.......

http://www.livestrong.com/article/330834-interval-training-on-a-stationary-bike/

Look for a "virtual" bike ride video (Hawaii, Italy, etc). Youtube has some.
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You know, I have the same issue. Exercise is not fun to me. I don't like it. I get sore and if I could take a pill to get stronger, I would. lol So, I manipulate myself. Instead of trying to make exercise fun, I take something I love and put myself on a strict plan that I can ONLY do that AFTER I exercise. Then it's a step to reward, instead of a chore that I have to do. I think about the reward the entire time I'm exercising and it doesn't bother me at all. Just a thought. My brain is clever. I have to find ways to trick it. lol
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I believe there is no shame in watching netflix while you bike, just make sure you up the resistance every few minutes and keep the hard work up without getting too distracted! :smile: