What do you do after a day of overeating?

I was eating a snack with my husband last night and misheard him when he read off the calories so I ended up eating way more than I had planned for the day. What do you guys do after a day of overeating? Do you start fresh the next day or do you try to cut back more to balance the extra calories from the day before?

Replies

• RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    edited May 2017
    Just get back to normal the next day. There's no point punishing yourself by cutting calories any further.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Mentally try and move on .... maybe just take a couple of quiet alone moments to think about why... what happened during the day to push you into it.... not as a punishment but just to reflect on the thoughts and feelings you experienced.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    One snack has not done anything negatively. I also look at my calories as a weekly average. Log it and move on.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If it's a small amount then I would deduct it from the next day. If larger then maybe spread the deficit over a few days.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Probably just eat normally the next day.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Just reset with the sunrise. The best way to make it a habit is to either, punish yourself... which initiates the yoyo.. or repeat the mistake the next day
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again! I think it depends on what is way more? Like 500 calories? I probably wouldn't sweat it. 3500 calories? I would divide it over the course of a few days and incorporate a little more exercise to rebuild a deficit for the week.
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Great thing about this is you just pick it back up and continue eating correctly. Well, then I feel shame about over eating ! :-)
  • danisius
    danisius Posts: 1 Member
    Just going as usual think as it was cheat day.
    I often (let say one or two times a week not every week) drink 2-3 to 4 beers and eat chicken fingers and salat. When calculate them all it gets 700-1000 calories above my target intake.
    For a year i lost 42 kilos without too much effort just consitancy in long term.
  • FlippingFins
    FlippingFins Posts: 20 Member
    Carry on as normal. Cutting calories will just make the next day harder, and one day over calories really isn't the end of the world.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    I've recently had a few days of overeating due to visiting my mum, I am what you call a food junkie.... at home following my normal routines I am pretty ok, cravings don't get the best of me etc but at my mums even though she is supportive and nags at me a lot about my weight I just lose my self control, I forgot my scales and cups so I was unable to measure or weigh my food plus it was just dished onto a plate for me so would be hard anyway plus she made me a sunday roast and as I rarely have one its my one weakness.... then on monday she suggested a pizza as the local takeout has a deal on mondays 2 for 1on any pizza so we had pizza.... yeah I know, bad! bad! bad! but its in the past now, I am back at home so I can just move on and continue with my normal routine and pray that I have not undone too much of my hard work, if your like me where "dieting" is a longterm thing more of a lifestyle change then there are bound to be days where you overeat due to special occasions or family/friends visiting or you visiting them, all you can really do is just shrug your shoulders and think "ah well" and just continue as you were before.
  • Anaryne26
    Anaryne26 Posts: 23 Member
    I start over each day. Cutting back the next day or two can train yourself to get into a habit of "punishing" yourself if you overeat, which can lead to having guilt associated with food, or starting a starvation-binge cycle.

I made beer can chicken, corn on the cob, and baked potatoes for dinner last night. I enjoyed a couple beers while waiting for the beer can chicken to smoke. It put me over my calorie limit yesterday, but there's no way I'm going to eat less today to make up for it. I enjoyed my entire meal, including the beer, and I don't regret it. I want to have a positive association with food.

It's a lifestyle change for me, not a diet. I'm not going to practice things that won't work for me the rest of my life. I've lost 50+ lbs over the last two years (most I lost in the first year, when I was religious about logging). I still am working on the last 10-15 lbs, but I also took a long break from calorie counting when I moved last summer.

Enjoy life, and enjoy what you eat. If you go over, be honest. Log it so you recognize the amount of food/drinks that puts you over your "limit," and move on. There's no need to punish yourself.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    I just go on as usual.
  • Jasonkid86
    Jasonkid86 Posts: 3 Member
    I was eating a snack with my husband last night and misheard him when he read off the calories so I ended up eating way more than I had planned for the day. What do you guys do after a day of overeating? Do you start fresh the next day or do you try to cut back more to balance the extra calories from the day before?

Need to make up for it during the week. Can't reset everyday. You can do it there is still time in the week. All the best
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    You can either make up for it in the rest of the week or just forget about it and eat as normal.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    I usually just log it and eat normally the next day. If it's 400+ calories over, I'll try to be a bit more active for the remainder of my day by doing stretching, bodyweight exercises, or yoga.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    You talking about a couple hundred calories? Or a 1000? :# If it's just a couple of 100, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Log it, learn from it, move on.

People aren't overweight from overeating one time. It's the consistent overeating / lack of exercise that is the root cause.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I usually just go back to normal. However, sometimes I'll be less hungry the next day, so if that's the case then I eat less.