can i use a....

Options
can i use a regular 1 cup measuring cup instead of a 1/2 cup, to measure 1/2 cup of uncooked oatmeal. like could i just fill it up half way?

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sure you could, but investing in a food scale on the long for more accuracy and peace of mind will be a very good idea.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Cups are very inaccurate.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    try to use your most accurate option. using half a cup will be more accurate than eyeballing half a cup out of a whole cup. weighing will be more accurate than measuring if that's an option.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    syousaf571 wrote: »
    can i use a regular 1 cup measuring cup instead of a 1/2 cup, to measure 1/2 cup of uncooked oatmeal. like could i just fill it up half way?

Yes, a 1/2 cup is a 1/2 cup regardless.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Use a 1/2 cup measure but don't mound the oatmeal, fill the the cup less than level.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could do that but you are likely to be inaccurate.
    If accuracy is important to you then using the 1/2 c and leveling it would be more accurate. Using a food scale to weigh out the amount would be the most accurate. 1/2 c uncooked old fashioned oatmeal is 40g.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Depends how accurate you want to be. For me a cup would be fine I don't care about being super accurate down to the calorie but that's just me.
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can do what you want because you are an individual, a free soul, a winner, unique in many ways but to be ACCURATE...I'd use the right measuring tools.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It depends how accurate you want to be. Sure you can eyeball it, you could use a 1/2 cup to be a little more accurate or a scale to be very accurate. I personally prescribe to the eyeballing club, I don't lose weight as fast, but I would rather spend my time and money elsewhere.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Since you're using measuring cups to start with I'll assume you're not that concerned about accuracy yet - so YES of course 1/2 of a full cup is 1/2 cup no matter if it is measured in a 1/2 cup measuring cup or if you only fill a full cup half way.