Body fat went up?

Options
So my measurements have gone down by about a half inch everywhere, and my weight has gone down. Why is my body fat calculator telling me I've gone UP a full 2%? That doesn't seem right. I've been working out hard, so I don't think I've been losing muscle...

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    So my measurements have gone down by about a half inch everywhere, and my weight has gone down. Why is my body fat calculator telling me I've gone UP a full 2%? That doesn't seem right. I've been working out hard, so I don't think I've been losing muscle...

If you are using a scale or one of thise hand held things, don't worry about it. They are not very accurate to begin with and your water rentention can really screw up the readings.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you're using a home body fat monitor, hydration levels matter a lot. Your best bet to get consistent results is to only use it in the AM after waking up and before drinking anything. It still won't give you perfectly accurate results, but using it in a consistent manner will yield the best possible results with a home monitor.

Also, if you cut your calories too low and are focused heavily on cardio/leaving out adequate strength training... yes, you could be losing muscle.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    Lets say a 225lb person has 30% body fat that would equal 67.5lbs of body fat.... then loses 20 lbs and now has 32% body fat which now equals 65.6lbs of body fat...30% of 225 is more than 32% of 205...so you havent gained any fat...your total mass has gone down so a bigger percentage does not always equal more
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Lets say a 225lb person has 30% body fat that would equal 67.5lbs of body fat.... then loses 20 lbs and now has 32% body fat which now equals 65.6lbs of body fat...30% of 225 is more than 32% of 205...so you havent gained any fat...your total mass has gone down so a bigger percentage does not always equal more

Your example #s here actually perfectly illustrate loss off LBM, albeit extreme.

30% BF of a 225 lb person = 67.5 lbs of fat... and a LBM of 157.5 lbs
    32% BF of a 205 lb person = 65.2 lbs of fat... and a LBM of 139.4 lbs

The person in your example has lost 18.1 lbs of LBM and only 2.3 lbs of BF in their 20 lb loss.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you're using a home body fat monitor, hydration levels matter a lot. Your best bet to get consistent results is to only use it in the AM after waking up and before drinking anything. It still won't give you perfectly accurate results, but using it in a consistent manner will yield the best possible results with a home monitor.

Also, if you cut your calories too low and are focused heavily on cardio/leaving out adequate strength training... yes, you could be losing muscle.

I strength train twice a week and I'm definitely conscious of not cutting my cals too low. I'm hoping it's water retention.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just like weight, body fat can flucuate. Also, depending on your method of measure, the tool might be inaccurate. Would you be able to make yoru food diary public. It is possible you might not be getting enough protein. The ammino acids are crucial to building muscle. During a muscle building phase, you need to have more protein so your body can develop muscle. Also, if possible, I would suggest 3 days of strength training and lift heavy; heavy means that you fail after 12-15 reps. Also, keep in mind, to keep muscles growing and not plateauing, you need to change your routine every 30 days. To do this, I would increase weights and decrease reps; do 8-10 reps and still fail at that point. On your cardio days, i would look to do high intensity interval training (HIIT). Short spurts of powerful moves which help keep muscle but make yoru heart race. Just some suggestions.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just like weight, body fat can flucuate. Also, depending on your method of measure, the tool might be inaccurate. Would you be able to make yoru food diary public. It is possible you might not be getting enough protein. The ammino acids are crucial to building muscle. During a muscle building phase, you need to have more protein so your body can develop muscle. Also, if possible, I would suggest 3 days of strength training and lift heavy; heavy means that you fail after 12-15 reps. Also, keep in mind, to keep muscles growing and not plateauing, you need to change your routine every 30 days. To do this, I would increase weights and decrease reps; do 8-10 reps and still fail at that point. On your cardio days, i would look to do high intensity interval training (HIIT). Short spurts of powerful moves which help keep muscle but make yoru heart race. Just some suggestions.

My diary is available for view to my friends, but I usually average between 70 and 100 grams of protein a day, and when I lift, it's so that the tenth rep is a real push for me to get through. I only lift twice a week because I do yoga (vigorous, vinyasa yoga) twice a week for my back. I run for cardio because I'm planning on running a half marathon on Thanksgiving. I was a collegiate athlete, so I've had all the nutrition and lifting talks before :-). Thanks for the tips, though!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

My diary is available for view to my friends, but I usually average between 70 and 100 grams of protein a day, and when I lift, it's so that the tenth rep is a real push for me to get through. I only lift twice a week because I do yoga (vigorous, vinyasa yoga) twice a week for my back. I run for cardio because I'm planning on running a half marathon on Thanksgiving. I was a collegiate athlete, so I've had all the nutrition and lifting talks before :-). Thanks for the tips, though!

<--- speechless, lol.

Sounds like you have a pretty good routine. I would try to switch it up a little though. Your body can adjust to a routine within 30 days, so if you don't switch it, then you can plateau, no matter how rigorous it can be.
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you have a handheld monitor like the one my PT uses, you need to make sure that your hands are covering the entire metal area. Last weigh-in, my PT remeasured because I had a little bit exposed, and it turned out my fat % was even lower.