Any breast feeders on here?

Options
Looking for some support/guidance on how to lose some weight without it effecting my milk supply/ quality

Cheers in advance

Jane

Replies

• janegal88
    janegal88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh & feel free to add me
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Not currently, but I did bf for several years. How old is your baby? Generally, the easiest thing is to set MFP to "maintain" and us BFing as your deficit.
  • janegal88
    Options
    He's still pretty young. 9 weeks tomorrow.. third baby and the weight isn't coming off on it's own at all. Was back to my normal size within the month with his 2 big brother's
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Not currently, but I did bf for several years. How old is your baby? Generally, the easiest thing is to set MFP to "maintain" and us BFing as your deficit.
    I agree, try eating right at maintenance and letting BFing be your deficit and then adjust if necessary

• tsmkatd
    tsmkatd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I breastfeed- currently weening due to health issues. Everything I read says the same as the above 2 commenters. Unfortunately if you lower your calories too significantly, you will experience a dip in supply. Breastfeeding is offen compared to running 5 miles a day burning an extra 500cal! Don't take me at my word, though. What WOULD still be beneficial in lu of cutting calories low is drinking TONS and TONS of water, and eating as clean as possible. You can still exercise when you get a chance, just remember to eat enough to cover the deficit. Good for you and baby. Also, what helped me more than anything with my supply (even more than fenugreek) was CARROT JUICE of all things! Added bonus, it helps with gas for both you and the baby and is hella good for your skin. Note - It takes some getting used to. But by the end of day 2 or 3, you actually start to enjoy it. You can also mix it with 1:1 ratio of OJ in the beginning. (It can tinge your milk a little yellow) The added vitamin C also helps :) Good luck!
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat :/ my son is 5 months old now and I still have 15 lbs to go before I'm back to my pre pregnancy weight (I gained 33 and lost the initial 18 during labor and the first week after birth). When I eat at maintenance and use exercise and breastfeeding as my deficit, I either don't lose any weight at all or even gain in some cases, and when I try to reduce my calories I experience a somewhat worrisome dip in my supply. So far it's all been trial and error for me, with very little success
  • janegal88
    Options
    Iv started adding flaxseed to my meals and taking brewers yeast. Brewers yeast has defo made a difference to the quantity but hoping the quality is still good. Will soon find out at babies nest weight in. He's averaging about 10oz weight gain each week. Trying to eat cleaner and move more... iv lost 4lbs by putting down the car keys and walking to school every day
  • cbailey989
    cbailey989 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    flaxseed and brewers yeast is a great place to start! If you see a dip in supply may eat oatmeal for breakfast or making lactation bites, ground flaxseed, brewers yeast, oatmeal, coconut oil, and honey. At 9 weeks your supply is still regulating. Make sure to empty breasts often and drink lots of water. I just weaned at 14 months but didn't start working out until 3 months pp. I would see occasional dips in supply but I don't believe it was workout related.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but my mom says I should start thinking about solids.

I kid, I kid. ^_^
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Are you boobing exclusively? On demand? 24/7? @janegal88 ?
  • Lmac_2017
    Lmac_2017 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Me! I am exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old. Feel free to add me!