It's just so hard.

Options
The more the days pass by the more I realize it's getting more difficult to exercise... kind of like I don't have the energy to keep pressing on. Just feel like I don't want to but I know I must if I want to reach my goal. My question is what do you do to keep your drive to keep on pushing and keep on working out.?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    It's a habit ... plus I love being active.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that as much as I don't feel like doing it, after I've done it I'm going to feel great that I did it. (And I try to vary the routine a bit. I work out at home, but I have a big book of strength training exercises and a little booklet of fit tube exercises. When I don't feel motivated, I try a new one out of one of the books, and maybe drop one of the other ones.)
  • graydreams
    graydreams Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your struggles. It is okay if you don't exercise daily and take a rest day. Usually I just listen to music while exercising or remind myself I can relax at home later. I also drink a bottle of tea and I'll have one sip every 5 minutes to keep my mind off of the boredom :):):) good luck and if you need to talk let me know
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    When I have a goal, usually a race, it stops becoming a chore....

If you're not motivated by your goal, get a better one.

This ^^

Find something you want to do and you'll be more likely to stick to it.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You can succeed without the exercise, but the added input helps keep you motivated to stay on track.
    Just go for a little walk instead. At least then you are moving a bit
  • sheps1990
    sheps1990 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I go on my lunch break (in my situation, teaching English abroad, we get a 3 hour lunch break!). On a bad day I can be sat at my desk for a good 20 minutes weighing up pros and cons of going/not going, and psyching myself up to go. The gym is a good walk away but once I get there, I'm fine. I will always end up going though because the pros always outweighs the cons, in fact there are no cons!

I'd suggest going for a morning workout if you can, get it done first thing, then that's you for the day.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everyone deals with this in different ways--it happens to us all. Perhaps you just need to change things up a bit. Look into doing something else, at least for a while. There's biking, dancing........the list goes on. Another thought is to find a partner to go with you. That can make it more fun, and you'll go so you won't let them down.
  • Fitness_and_FODMAP
    Fitness_and_FODMAP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As others are saying, you just need to push yourself to do the exercise, after a while it becomes part of your routine - I get up, I get on my bike to do 30 H.I.I.T training, I get showered, I have breakfast and then I head out the door to go to work ... 9 hours later I walk in the house, change into my gym kit and get back on the bike and do 30 steady cycling, or 60 minutes weight training (depending on which day it is) whilst Hubby cooks dinner and then we sit together and enjoy the rest of our evening ... Daily AM cycling & alternating PM cycling or weight training in an integral part of my day, so it's not a case of pushing to do it, it's just part of what I do every day ... I'm currently signed off sick from work and banned from exercising on medical grounds and it's killing me, so I keep going for walks instead - I clocked up almost 50 miles last week, this week will probably be much the same.

Also, if you really hate what you're doing and it really is such a chore, you need to ask yourself why ... are you doing the right exercises, or routine? Is there an underlying reason why you don't want to do it? You need to look into this, because as long as you resent your routine it will always be a chore and you'll always struggle.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Folks here are right, it will become a habit. I just don't feel right without some sort of workout. Even if traveling and I have to resort to one of those hotel room youtube things.

That said, a question, what is your routine? Some folks set the bar too high at first. Initially it's more important to get into a routine. Short version of my story is my first workout was 8 min on the stationary bike in my basement. That was the most I could do. But I made a big deal in my own head about my "workouts."

You say you lack energy to press on. Are you eating right to fuel your workouts? Another thing that happens to people starting out is an upward ramp that's too steep. 30 min at level 4 today does not have to be 35 min at level 5 tomorrow.

Last thought. When I got to the point of joining a gym there were days when it seemed I was trying to drag myself there. I would make this deal with myself, go to the gym, do 60% of my workout.
    Some days once I was there I would do 100%. Some days I purposely did less. I called this defending my habit.

Another last thought, there anything fun in your routine?
  • skibunni516
    skibunni516 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Life will ALWAYS have an excuse not to workout! Think about yourself, set a schedule. Take a break from your phone, work and people and workout just 30 min day
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I remember how I want to feel and what I'm aiming for ...to feel good. It's mental and there are days I don't wanna do anything, but I know my health is most important and I can do it. Feel free to add me as a friend to support each other
  • TequilaBlaize
    TequilaBlaize Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get bored whilst at the gym??? ... I mean I have headphones in but from the minute I walk in and step on a machine I'm bored. Anyone got tips of how to get rid of this? Any help is really appreciated!
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Meh ... losing a job or losing a loved one is hard .... Going to the gym is easy :) Put your trainers on and just do it ... You will feel better afterwards. x
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? When I am not eating enough I have little motivation to do much of anything, let alone exercise.

We know little about you. How much weight do you need to lose? How tall are you? How many calories a day are you eating? Could you open your Food Diary to "public" so we may be able to see what's up? You should have energy to spare if you're eating enough.

Change your diary settings here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit. HUGE wake up call. I'm only burning 1600 calories a day if I stay on the couch. I can burn 2400 easily if I make myself move... it's just so worth it, because I love eating.

Just ask yourself - what would you do instead of exercise? Watch TV? Get on the treadmill/bike/elliptical and watch Netflix. I watch 80% of my shows on the treadmill now (2 shows a day). I mean, I'm going to watch anyway (I'm a bit of a TV show addict), might as well burn calories at the same time... that's 500-600 calories right there.

And I like walking and being outside so I take every opportunity to go for a walk too.

The other stuff? I can't really be bothered. I'll do my 30 push ups every other day (I've noticed a difference in the last 2 months for sure), and that's pretty much it. Just find something you can tolerate and it won't be as bad. Honestly now I can't stand sitting not doing anything longer than 2 hours. I got to move or I lose my mind...
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise. Really, I really hate exercise. But most mornings - I do skip some - I still drag my butt out of bed an hour early, do some stretches, get on the elliptical and do 20 minutes before work. Virtually every day at lunch I lock my office door and change my clothes and take a walk - 1 to 2 miles depending on how much time I can spare and the weather. I haven't done this long...a couple months...but it's become a habit.

I don't do this because I enjoy it. I'd much, much rather sleep in every day and sit on my butt playing on-line at lunch. I do it because if I don't, I'll never lose weight. As it is I don't lose fast enough to suit me. I do it for the same reason I brush my teeth, do my laundry, wash dishes and mow the lawn...because it has to be done.

The only thing I hate more than exercise is the thought of dying young because of my weight.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    One of my motivational phrases is "just show up." You'd be surprised how much easier it is to go ahead and get started once I'm dressed and ready to go.