Dizzy and Faint During Work Out

Options
Yesterday I worked out with my trainer. We were doing a session of exercises that were not really new or that difficult, and I started feeling really weak and nauseated...like I was about to either faint or throw up. I pushed through, but it was still unsettling.

I think that I may not be breathing properly when I do exercises like mountain climbers or planks. Has this ever happened to you? What turned out to be the cause?

Replies

• MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes and my culprit was/is asthma. I am supposed to use an inhaler. The first two times it happened to me, I didn't realize I had asthma. The second time it happened I blacked out for a moment. That's when I figured it's time to ask the doc. Any time since then, it's most likely because I didn't take my inhaler.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not enough food. Ate a Clif bar during my workout and felt almost immediately better.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Did you eat too soon before working out? We're you dehydrated? While proper breathing is certainly essential, I'm shocked if it caused a nauseating feeling.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is more likely to be low blood sugar than what it is to be how you are breathing.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't have this while I'm working out, but a couple of times it's happened post workout. There was one time I woke up on the floor, I figured since I was on the floor I might as well take a break and rest for a few minutes. For me it's caused by low blood pressure. My doctor said the only real threat to my health is if I do completely black out again and hit my head on my way to the floor. I would recommend you see your physician.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys. Every time I go to the Dr. and they take my blood pressure, it is usually normal -- I go for a checkup this week, so I'll make a note of what my BP is. I ate a good amount of calories before I went to the gym, but not a lot of substantial food with high-protein (a small salad, fries, and baked chips as snacks) -- so I think you all are right about food being a factor. I'll eat better next time and see if that helps.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Every time I go to the Dr. and they take my blood pressure, it is usually normal -- I go for a checkup this week, so I'll make a note of what my BP is. I ate a good amount of calories before I went to the gym, but not a lot of substantial food with high-protein (a small salad, fries, and baked chips as snacks) -- so I think you all are right about food being a factor. I'll eat better next time and see if that helps.

Eating before you go to the gym really doesn't matter as much as what you're eating overall daily. If you're living on too few calories your body is starving and lack of energy can cause problems. I work out fasted every day, doesn't bother me a bit, matter of fact I tend to do better fasted than not. However, I eat at maintenance levels and eat back all of my exercise calories daily. So my muscles have plenty of energy stored up. Look at your calories overall, are you in a severe deficit? Maybe it's too much? Otherwise if it continues to happen get checked out. Any idea what your heart rate was like during the activity?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I worked out with my trainer. We were doing a session of exercises that were not really new or that difficult, and I started feeling really weak and nauseated...like I was about to either faint or throw up. I pushed through, but it was still unsettling.

I think that I may not be breathing properly when I do exercises like mountain climbers or planks. Has this ever happened to you? What turned out to be the cause?

Assuming you are healthy, not breathing properly gets me from time to time when doing challenging exercises.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes. I found out I was pregnant that way except I actually fainted and they had to pick me off the floor and call an ambulance.
  • jbirdgreen
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Yes. I found out I was pregnant that way except I actually fainted and they had to pick me off the floor and call an ambulance.

Oh wow. That's definitely a shocking way to find out!
    ...Maybe I should take a test when I get home. :/
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Could be dehydrated. How is your water intake?
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Will210 wrote: »
    Could be dehydrated. How is your water intake?

That day, I drank 40 oz of water while at work. I refilled the bottle, then drank about 8 oz before I went to go workout. I was thinking that maybe I drank too much before working out too, which could be part of the problem.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Happened to me because I went to the gym too soon after being sick with a chest cold.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Don't forget to tell your doctor about you dizziness and being nauseated.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Have you cut down on salt?

No.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Has it happened before? I experienced a drastic downtrend in cardio fitness combined with getting loopy and almost passing out, almost out of nowhere. Would be curious if it was a onetimer or something haunting you. Personally if I don't do fasted exercise I get a case of the vapors :P
  • jbirdgreen
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Has it happened before? I experienced a drastic downtrend in cardio fitness combined with getting loopy and almost passing out, almost out of nowhere. Would be curious if it was a onetimer or something haunting you. Personally if I don't do fasted exercise I get a case of the vapors :P

The last time it happened, I hadn't eaten anything at all for breakfast and went to training later in the morning. When I used to go at 5 a.m., I used to be able to not eat and still do well -- at least when I got a little bit more fit. I have regressed a little bit in terms of my conditioning, so maybe that's what's wrong.

There's so many things going on that could have caused the dizziness, so I'll wait to see what the doctor says and also see if I have problems tonight during my workout. I ate a big, balanced lunch today and I will have an energy bar before I go. I also drank plenty of water. I'll also make an attempt to breathe better. If that doesn't work, I'll report back.

I will also take that pregnancy test. With some other things I have going on, that could be a factor.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat in a typical day?
  • fightforitmp
    fightforitmp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @jbirdgreen this happened to my husband. We first thought it was because he wasn't eating anything since we workout around 5am but once he started taking a supplement that contains electrolytes and helps with hydration he felt a lot better.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough or simply working out harder and more than what your current fitness level allows.... When I was a police recruit, fainting/puking was not uncommon, simply due to the effort and prolonged intense exercise... And we definitely ate enough...