Hershey's chocolate lovers

Options

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I find Hershey's inedible as chocolate, I just don't get it, it tastes waxy to me. Those ghirardelli bars and squares though, oof, yes please. And if I'm home visiting the UK, I better be careful. Second the Roses/Quality Street vote.

That's cause Hershey's is basically sweetened, sort of chocolate flavored, brown wax with butyric acid containing milk in it. Butyric acid, by the way, is what makes vomit smell the way it does. It's not good quality chocolate at all.

If Hershey's was my only option for "chocolate", I'd never eat chocolate again.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I find Hershey's inedible as chocolate, I just don't get it, it tastes waxy to me. Those ghirardelli bars and squares though, oof, yes please. And if I'm home visiting the UK, I better be careful. Second the Roses/Quality Street vote.

That's cause Hershey's is basically sweetened, sort of chocolate flavored, brown wax with butyric acid containing milk in it. Butyric acid, by the way, is what makes vomit smell the way it does. It's not good quality chocolate at all.

Are you arguing that butyric acid is somehow a sign of poor quality? It's in other dairy products, including butter and parmesan cheese.

• heiliskrimsli
    Options

Are you arguing that butyric acid is somehow a sign of poor quality? It's in other dairy products, including butter and parmesan cheese.

I'm saying that a vomit flavored semi-spoiled milk is not an ingredient that I want in chocolate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'm saying that a vomit flavored semi-spoiled milk is not an ingredient that I want in chocolate.

So you enjoy vomit-flavored semi-spoiled milk in butter and cheese?

Or do you avoid those as well?
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

How can I put this so that you will understand it?

I love garlic. Garlic, like butyric acid, has its place. I would never eat chocolate that contained garlic because it would taste disgusting.

As far as Hershey's being low quality, it is. That it contains butyric acid is a sign of that - because Hershey used a process to allow him to prolong the shelf life and reduce costs specifically by souring the milk used in the chocolate. High quality chocolate doesn't use soured milk, or PGPR.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I've read about studies that show that people eat less if the candies are individually wrapped! Good on ya. These have been around for a while, but they're pretty good. I also enjoy the snack sized Reese's eggs and pumpkins.

Not everyone. I can easily eat a bag of Kisses in 2-3 days. Ghirardelli, though, I can limit myself to 2-3 squares.

Yeah, they say that nuts you have to open (like pistachios or walnuts in shell) have the same property, but I go through those quickly, too. I think the idea was that it helps slow you down and think about each piece, but I dunno, I rip through those pistachios pretty quickly. :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I buy the "snack size" of my favourite chocolate too. I also buy the big bars and weigh out a serving because no Dairy Milk individual Fruit and Nut bars yet haha

Good plan to stay within calories :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I love garlic. Garlic, like butyric acid, has its place. I would never eat chocolate that contained garlic because it would taste disgusting.

As far as Hershey's being low quality, it is. That it contains butyric acid is a sign of that - because Hershey used a process to allow him to prolong the shelf life and reduce costs specifically by souring the milk used in the chocolate. High quality chocolate doesn't use soured milk, or PGPR.

I think I understand what you're attempting to communicate. The reason I asked follow-up questions is because your initial post seemed as if you were trying to invoke some sensations of disgust towards something that is fairly common in products containing dairy. If you personally don't care for the taste, that's understandable. Given how much people enjoy things like butter and hard cheeses, I think it's rather irrelevant that butyric acid can also be found in vomit.

Enjoying something in one context and disliking it in another is incredibly common.

I would try chocolate and garlic. I actually made a delicious chili last night that had garlic and cocoa powder. Sometimes unusual flavor combinations turn out really well, though I understand that's a personal preference.

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have two pieces of Hershey chocolates everyday after lunch. Right now were are finishing up a huge bag of the Hershey eggs from Easter. They are so good. Dove also makes some really good varieties of individually wrapped chocolates.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've read about studies that show that people eat less if the candies are individually wrapped! Good on ya. These have been around for a while, but they're pretty good. I also enjoy the snack sized Reese's eggs and pumpkins.

Not everyone. I can easily eat a bag of Kisses in 2-3 days. Ghirardelli, though, I can limit myself to 2-3 squares.

Yeah, they say that nuts you have to open (like pistachios or walnuts in shell) have the same property, but I go through those quickly, too. I think the idea was that it helps slow you down and think about each piece, but I dunno, I rip through those pistachios pretty quickly. :)

I've seen a man go through a family size bag of in shell peanuts in a day.

Give me Lindt, Ghiradelli, or a Symphony with toffee bar any day!
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

I think I understand what you're attempting to communicate. The reason I asked follow-up questions is because your initial post seemed as if you were trying to invoke some sensations of disgust towards something that is fairly common in products containing dairy. If you personally don't care for the taste, that's understandable. Given how much people enjoy things like butter and hard cheeses, I think it's rather irrelevant that butyric acid can also be found in vomit.

Enjoying something in one context and disliking it in another is incredibly common.

I would try chocolate and garlic. I actually made a delicious chili last night that had garlic and cocoa powder. Sometimes unusual flavor combinations turn out really well, though I understand that's a personal preference.

I have tried cocoa in chili. I did not enjoy it.

Sometimes flavors that I like on their own don't go well together. That aside, there are many other reasons that Hershey's is of lower quality than more high-end chocolates, and the usage of things like PGPR, replacing some of the cocoa butter (or in some of their products all of it) with vegetable oil, and the grainy texture are not hallmarks of quality. Adding the flavor effect of the butyric acid to the other things that make me dislike Hershey's means I'd rather just pass on their products.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Unfortunately for me it is one of the only chocolates I can eat (due to allergies) , but only certain types. I can have any of their holiday wrapped chocolate or special occasion chocolate. I can only have regular milk bar, milk bar with almonds, dark bar, Reese's original (no shapes, no colored packaging), and now the nuggets.

No Hershey's kissed )regular or holiday/flavored) for me either.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I always have chocolate in my house - no problem with eating just a little bit. Usually have M&M's, and Hershey Kisses on hand, most of the time. I have big bars of it too, for various goodies that I bake. No issues with eating all of it.

Now, potato chips? I have banned them from my house. Salty snacks are my Achilles heel.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

Hershey's is my absolute FAVORITE chocolate. Different strokes. ;)
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Unfortunately for me it is one of the only chocolates I can eat (due to allergies) , but only certain types. I can have any of their holiday wrapped chocolate or special occasion chocolate. I can only have regular milk bar, milk bar with almonds, dark bar, Reese's original (no shapes, no colored packaging), and now the nuggets.

What is it in other chocolates that you're allergic to? Most of them actually have fewer ingredients than Hershey's lists on the wrapper.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    I have two pieces of Hershey chocolates everyday after lunch. Right now were are finishing up a huge bag of the Hershey eggs from Easter. They are so good. Dove also makes some really good varieties of individually wrapped chocolates.

Yep. I buy a bag of those eggs every year. I freaking love them. But just 2 or 3, every other day or so.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I've seen a man go through a family size bag of in shell peanuts in a day.

Give me Lindt, Ghiradelli, or a Symphony with toffee bar any day!

Symphony bars with toffee and almonds are my favorite :).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

What is it in other chocolates that you're allergic to? Most of them actually have fewer ingredients than Hershey's lists on the wrapper.

Cross contamination with other allergens. Number of ingredients means nothing when it comes to allergies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Ya, I'm fine with azodicarbonamide in my yoga mat but not in breads.

I do like cocoa with cayenne and cinnamon but some people would never try this. I sent assorted cocoas to my coworkers one winter. http://shop.equalexchange.coop/chocolate/cocoa/organic-spicy-hot-cocoa-mix-12oz.html

One of my mole recipes has chocolate and garlic; the other does not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is just me, but if I buy a large Hershey's chocolate, I end up eating the whole thing. I always tell myself to save some but never do. Just found a solution that works for me. I found Hershey chocolate nuggets. I have found I can leave the bag in the refrigerator, take one out, unwrap it and eat it without going back for more. The act of having to unwrap them individually makes me thing twice about eating more than one. Not sure if this will help anyone else, but thought I'd share in case it does.

Hershey's Special Dark with Almonds Nuggets are a staple in our house. Walmart has the best price locally.

I too fall victim to the Completion Compulsion and employ various strategies to work around it, like nuggets, Ghirardelli squares, Ben & Jerry mini cups, etc.

I've also learned how much food I need to feel satisfied with a meal and weigh out that amount on my plate. Not too much, not too little, just right.