How long to ketosis?

Options
I wanted to make sure I knew when I was in Ketosis, so I dove into a blood testing monitor and Keto strips. After the first week, I was at .2 then raised a 10th every week until I got to .4. The next week I was .7, so I was very excited. That following week I was .3. WHAT?! I was watching my macros and eating everything that I should. My fat count was typically around the 80% mark, couldn’t believe it. The next week, I was .3 again. I’m a bit slow, but figured it was time to look deeper. I had introduced raw milk, but it was accounted for on my macro list, I was still within range. Having not been a soda drinker for years, I was excited to have found a soda that “I was allowed to have,” Zevia. Zevia has many flavors and they are all decent, but grape produces an almost addictive situation for me. On top of the raw milk, I was drinking 2-3 sodas a day. So much for moderation. At this point, I know it is one of the two or maybe the not so moderate consumption of both. After a week with neither, mixed with planned fasts of 18 and 23 hours, I was at .6. I will attempt to reintroduce the raw milk, maybe 4 oz. a day instead of 8 oz. after I get into that sweet spot of 1.5, but so far lesson learned.

I guess the short answer would have been, for me, 5 weeks into the lowest form of ketosis. I am curious if that is typical. Not that it's important, more of informational than anything. Testing your ketones is mentioned a lot to be done in the morning, but that is not when they are highest. I test mine in the evening. I learned a good lesson and felt that I would share it. I would have never known I was going about it the wrong way, if I hadn't been checking the numbers against my macros. Hope this may help someone.

Replies

• catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For some dairy is the ticket not to lose weight on a high fat diet and to struggle to get into ketosis.
    It happened to me.
    Then I cut my milk to 60ml a day with 10ml cream.
    The weight started dropping again.
    Try cutting dairy for a couple of days and see what happens.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Some go deeper into ketosis than others. I tend not to show much ketones on the ketostix. To get a moderate reading I need to fast for a day or two.

Your hydration levels can affect the readings too.
  • darrinsgt
    darrinsgt Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Having another week in, I had a result of .6, which didn't go over very well. Since realizing that I had probably gone overboard on the artificial sweetener, combined with the milk, I had decided to begin intermittent fasting. I have done several involving 18 hours, with a couple of 20 plus hours. The .6 after a week of the fasting caused a bit of a panic, which is why I list it here. I tested myself the next night, after eating 3 meals that day and the result was 1.1. That validated my thoughts that the .6 was due to an extensive fast going on that day. If you are checking your blood and wondering why it isn't getting there. I would first check what your putting into your body, what time are you taking the test, and how long it's been since you have eaten. Hope my mistakes can help someone facing similar issues.

I am ready to re-introduce raw milk....plan on starting with 4 oz a day...see how it works out.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You have to aim for low calories
    Watch out I got really ill doing keto
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    You have to aim for low calories
    Watch out I got really ill doing keto

I'm sorry it made you sick. Lots of people don't get sick on Keto, though. Quite a few have found it helps with the issues they have beyond weight loss.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I did Keto and was able to drop 90 pounds.. Mind you I've packed 25 back on..lol.. So I'm back at it again in hopes to drop 40 this time and find a good balance!!
  • darrinsgt
    darrinsgt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently found Sucrolose in a big bag and used it for the homemade lemonade. Loved it, thought I found THE answer to sweetness. Be careful, as Sucrolose can be mixed with Maltodextrin, which ranks at 110 on the GI index: http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html

I started gaining weight and couldn't understand why, as my macros are always are in the 80/15/5 range.....sneaky
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Don't bother with keto strips and other stuff like that... really not necessary.

Follow a keto diet and you will be in ketosis. It doesn't really matter how long it takes as long as you're sticking with it. Keep your net carb macro at ~5% and track accurately and you'll be in ketosis. Use keto-safe sugar alternatives and be wary of products labeled "sugar-free" - always check the ingredient list.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    tbh, unless you're doing it for medical reasons it doesn't matter. Low calories will cut the weight down, and protein is way more muscle sparing than ketones anyway.