Running indoors or out?

Options
I am an outside runner. As part of my new strength training program I need to warm up by running 10-15 minutes on a treadmill. I notice that I keep on checking my time anxious to be done and not really getting into it. The tv is a nice distraction but I still cant seem to wait until time is up. So different for me from running outside where the scenery changes and there are sights and smells and things to take in. I don't even look at my watch when running outside, I know the route and run it. I am curious as to how others feel about running inside vs outside. I love hearing other perspectives.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you run outside for a few minutes before weight training? I hate running on treadmills too! I'd rather run on broken glass. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to run on a treadmill to warm up for strength training? I ride an Airdyne bike for 10 minutes beforehand and used to walk on a treadmill for 10 minutes beforehand but many people don't do any cardio-type warm up. If you don't like warming up that way, do it another way.

As for running on a treadmill, I only like it for short intervals (60 seconds or less.)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Outdoors for me. I solve this warm up issue by running to the gym. Its exactly one mile away.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    other than for gait analysis i always run outside. why not just run out side for your warm up?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Outside all the way. The only time I will run on the treadmill is if it's really icy outside, which doesn't happen a lot around here. Then I will do speed work because the sessions are shorter and I can break the monotony by varying the pace. I don't think I could ever run more than 50 minutes on a treadmill.
  • newthinkingfish
    newthinkingfish Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. Running on a TM is so boring!! BTW - You might want to try just warming up outside by walking/jogging before you run.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Why the need for a 10-15 min run prior to strength training?
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have friends that put a towel over the digital display on the treadmill, but that's mostly for longer runs.

I prefer to run outside, but I'll run on a treadmill in the winter, during inclement weather, or when I want to do a run / lap swim combo morning. The longest I can stand is about 5 miles, and I count down in my mind by mile increments and just try to watch the TV.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I only run outside...when I run on a treadmill, I get horrible shin splints. As for weight lifting...I warm up with the bar and then a lighter set before I jump into my program.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'm another runner that would prefer to chew on broken glass than run for long periods of time on a TM, I could probably tolerate a 10 or 15 min warmup.

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I used the treadmill in the winter and I really hated it. So boring. Normally I run outside at a beautiful lake. I found myself slacking off on cardio and I think this next winter I will focus mainly on lifting with some long runs on the weekend.

My gym has a hydraulic hill treadmill (not sure what it is called, but it simulates hill climbs by actually moving and elevating) and sometimes I would use that for a shorter period of time as a warm up, walking for about five minutes with some challenging hills, instead of running.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You don't have to warm up this way, you can warm up for whatever movement you're doing by doing warm up sets of that movement with the bar or lighter weights.

For example, when I bench press, I like to do some light high rep sets of face pulls and band pull aparts in front of me and above my head, and then 20 reps with the bar, and 20 reps at 135 before I start my work sets, I'll often barbell row whatever I'm benching between sets also.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love running outdoors--it's an amazing and relaxing experience. I unwind and just zone out.

But I also do a lot of treadmill work and it's really increased my speed! I mainly do this at Orange Theory and it's the base-push-all out method. You can't really get bored because you're working too hard! It's a very different experience from outdoor running.

I have two 30 minute treadmill routines I use at the gym and I love and hate them because they are really hard and really good for you!!! You work on your speed and you can't get bored.

So ignore my numbers--you need to know what your "base" speed is, a speed you are comfortable doing for 30+ minutes, challenging but doable. I'm putting in 6.7 for mine, but just change that to what yours is, then add and subtract accordingly.

And the great thing is you are so focused on what minute you're on/what's next that you can't get bored

(Pasting these from notes):

The 4321 workout

4 minutes 6.2 mph
    4 minutes 6.7 mph
    4 minutes 7.2 mph
    3 minutes 6.2 mph
    3 minutes 6.7 mph
    3 minutes 7.2 mph
    2 minutes 6.2 mph
    2 minutes 6.7 mph
    2 minutes 7.2 mph
    1 minutes 6.2 mph
    1 minutes 6.7 mph
    1 minutes 7.2 mph

The speed/incline workout (2 blocks of 12 minutes, 2 blocks of 3 minutes)--this is HARD but burns more calories for me than the 4321 one

2 minutes 6.7 1 incline
    2 minutes 6.8 1 incline
    2 minutes 6.9 1 incline
    2 minutes 7.0 1 incline
    2 minutes 7.1 1 incline
    2 minutes 7.2 1 incline
    1 minute 6.7 1 incline (recovery)
    1 minute 6.7 3 incline
    1 minute 6.7 5 incline
    2 minutes 6.7 1 incline
    2 minutes 6.8 1 incline
    2 minutes 6.9 1 incline
    2 minutes 7.0 1 incline
    2 minutes 7.1 1 incline
    2 minutes 7.2 1 incline
    1 minute 6.7 1 incline (recovery)
    1 minute 6.7 3 incline
    1 minute 6.7 5 incline
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Like most other distance runners, the dreadmill is my last choice for running. Given a need to warm up prior to strength training, I think I'd just head out the door and do an easy 2 mile warm up run.

I do run indoors in the winter for speed work, and when the weather is so bad that running on the roads is not possible; but that's on an indoor track. An indoor track is not nearly the mental challenge that a dreadmill is.

I think the only time I've been consistently successful at putting 15 minutes in on a dreadmill or exercycle has been in the physical therapist's office, when I need that warm up before I do weird exercises designed to get me back to real running on the roads.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you have to warmup inside, try the elliptical... it's like running, but different enough that it might be the necessary change of pace.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some very good ideas here, I am embarrassed to say that I hadn't thought about running outside. I guess I figured the machines are inside right next to the treadmill and my plan says to run so I run.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Why the need for a 10-15 min run prior to strength training?

Yeah, I'm not getting this either. You warm up for lifting by lifting lighter.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    orionaimee wrote: »
    I love hearing other perspectives.

Well I've never run on a treadmill in my life, but I'm more of a cyclist and generally an outdoor one although I've used indoor trainers too. I feel the same way as you. Outdoors is enjoyable and full of pleasant distractions, indoors is a tedious chore.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The treadmill means I never use the weather as an excuse. I also don't have to stop and pick up poo or find somewhere to put my key, asthma pump, dog poo bags...

I use the treadmill as part of the other stuff I do in the gym.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I hate the dreadmill. Running outside is the best.