When to eat the most calories.

Options
Is it more important to eat more calories in the morning to carry me through the day, or at dinnertime to carry me over until breakfast?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I personally like to snack after dinner more than before lunch so just do what feels best for you. Makes absolutely no difference
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    When you're the hungriest. For me, that's usually later in the day.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I eat most of my calories in the evening.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I usually eat/drink around 300 calories for breakfast, and slightly larger meals, 350-450 calories, for lunch and dinner. With exercise, I can include more than 2 snacks which makes me happy. For the most part, it's pretty even unless I go out for food.

Stats for reference: 5'2, female, 1270 kcal net a day, 193#
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It depends on what works for you. I know if I don't eat a snack at night I wake up extremely hungry the next morning.
  • emilybrooke358
    emilybrooke358 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference but recommended to finish eating by around 7/8pm so the food doesn't sit in your stomach over night and cause more fat
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I try to save the majority of my calories for the evening, because that's when I'm nore peckish. I don't eat breakfast and put off lunch for as long as i can aka when i am truly, genuinely hungry.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like my food in the evening. I'm single and just love to come home and sit around and have calories to spare. That's usually between 600-1000 depending on whether I'm cutting hard or not.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I always save around 200 cal to have around 8 pm
  • NewBetterBest18
    NewBetterBest18 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Eating in the evening is not a problem for me as I work the 4-mid shift at a hospital so I'm really active at that time of the day. It's just finding the time during my shift to grab a bite or two.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eat whenever it's most convenient for your schedule and best for you in terms of satiety/adherence. Meal timing is irrelevant in terms of weight loss. I eat the most calories at dinner because that's when I'm most hungry, and almost always save some calories in reserve for an evening snack after dinner.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It is important to become aware of all the myths that surround food and eating and makes weight management difficult, so this is a great question. The answer is that you can eat anytime you want, it makes no difference for your weight. When you eat can make a difference for how satisfied you feel. How satisfied you feel can make a difference for how easy it is to stick to your calorie goal. Sticking to your calorie goal is what makes a difference for your weight.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference, as others have said, split them however and when ever you like.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference but recommended to finish eating by around 7/8pm so the food doesn't sit in your stomach over night and cause more fat

You're first 3 words are correct, the rest of the sentence, not so. Your body continues to digest overnight, your metabolism keeps chugging along, and when you eat has absolutely no bearing on gaining fat or not.

OP I like to start my day light and eat the bulk of my calories near the end - that way I get a substantial meal with the hubster and a snack after. Personal preference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Personal choice. I end up splitting them somewhat evening between the three meals I eat, with a bit more at lunch and dinner usually. (I also eat dinner late and it never hurt me.)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    when youre the most hungry......

time of day has zero effect on it