420 pounds male determined to make a change

Options
leeboothgb
leeboothgb Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hey All,

Im not here to make excuses or for people to feel sorry for me but here is my story:

6.5 tall male and always been around 18 stone and looked good for it. 5 years ago I had really bad thyroid troubles which I've had ever since and have been in and out of hospital. I can blame a slight proportion of my weight on my condition but not all of it. Ive gained 12 stone in 5 years and I'm no longer happy or the same person. I go to the gym 5 times a week swimming and I enjoy it, however I also dont eat healthy either.

I was showing someone at work a picture of me in my slim days and they said "ow god your were really good looking and fit" that hit a cord with me and made me really sad what I had done to my body. It is my fault and no-one elses but what have I done to myself?? Im miserable, I dont socalise due to my weight, it stops me appying for jobs and I panic about travelling too. Due to being a tall lad, I really do carry my size off well and I have no mobility problems but what the hell have I let myself become.

I go to Dubai in 12 weeks and although I wont change my life in 12 weeks. I want to lose as much beef as possible and change my whole lifestyle. I have purchased this app and dusted off my fit bit and I'm going to get my *kitten* into gear.

I've had a reality check and I dont like myself and im stuck in a horrible place with my weight. No more, this ends now (well yesterday actually as I ate healthy and done the gym)

I will be fit and healthy and change my life.

Hope anyone else in the same boat, realises that we can do this and it would be great to hear other stories.

Lee.

Replies

• cxmxd1975
    cxmxd1975 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Just make sure you are doing things the right way. Start with diet. You can lose a ton of weight just from changing your diet. Add in some exercise at least three times and week and the weight will fall off. In 12 weeks you could make a noticeable change in your physique if you work hard and eat right. I would just make sure you talk with your doctor first and make sure you don't over do it. You don't want to have to put your goals on hold because you over-train and get an injury.

The first step is motivating yourself! You are on your way!
  • leeboothgb
    Options
    Thank you for your reply and support. I really appreciate it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I want to share this one thing I learned losing weight- weight loss is liberation. Best wishes.
  • huniejohnson
    huniejohnson Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hello. Good luck on your journey. I learned to eat healthier which I love to eat so start with incoorperating all green leafy veggies you like at least 2 serving a day. Water I can't express how important it is to drink plenty of water this will help keep muscles hydrated and keep you from being dehydrated. I will check in on you to keep you motivated. If you have questions don't hesitate to reach out. P.S love who you are and stay motivated everyday is a new beginning. ❤
  • leeboothgb
    Options
    Thank you so much. I can do this.
  • lorinoye
    lorinoye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! I feel ya. I carry my weight very well (very few people would guess that I was 360 at my heaviest). And for a long time, I never admitted to that number. I was ashamed of it and for good reason. I've been at this for almost 3 months now and I have to say it's been life changing. I'm only down 13 lbs but I feel so much better.

If you'd like a friend please feel free to add me. The more people we have motivating us, the better our chances of success!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Lee...I'm here for the long haul...topped out at 323 a while back, joined MFP at 298, been up and down once or twice, and now headed on a long slow slide down to One-derland...currenltly in the low 270s. Using a combination of Keto and Paleo, trying to keep my macros at C: 10/ F: 70/ P: 20, and calories at 2000ish.

So far, so good.

Sent you a friend request. We can do what I cannot.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What a great attitude!! I'm rooting for you! You've got this, it's a lifestyle change for sure!
  • Docfloyd
    Docfloyd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keep at it man! I was 349lbs (25stone) at one point. i'm down to 278 right now. I started my weight loss journey in August of 2016. Closing in on the year mark. My ultimate goal is 200lbs and being healthy. It's slow work, hard work, but I need to do this. And I know you can do. I've done this without much outside support, so just remember you have random people you've never met on here who knows what it's like and are rooting for you man! Feel free to add me as a friend on this thing if you need more support and accountability. I'm always looking to help people on similar paths as myself. Or any weight loss transformation!
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have the right mindset and are off to a great start!
  • leeboothgb
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind comments and support. It really does mean a lot and I already feel I can do this with the support of the group behind me.
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You've made a step towards a happier and healthier you. Congratulations. The hardest part for me was starting and enlisting a support group. I felt embarrassed about my weight and it was difficult to admit I needed support. I have learned that there will be good weeks and bad days. Don't let the set backs set you back. If you need a friend feel free to add me.
  • jlovesgod
    jlovesgod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, being 400lbs and 5'11". I have also reached a point where I'm determined to make a change. I want to encourage you, and myself.. this can be done! You possess the power and the tools to change your life. Winning the battle of the mind is the hardest part. I hope this quote helps you as much as it's helped me: " whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right". Good luck friend!
  • graydreams
    graydreams Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you for deciding to have a fit and healthy lifestyle, hope you have a lot of fun visiting Dubai :):):)
  • MichelleMirzoian
    MichelleMirzoian Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I get where you are coming from, 9 years ago I weighed 202lbs, I was turning 30 and was in a bad relationship. By taking control of my health (decided to run the marathon) I changed my entire life and world view. I now weigh 145lbs, have maintained that loss, have finished 12 marathons and an Ironman but the most important is I am now a yes person to life. My two pieces of advice in your journey is first, don't be afraid. It sucked going to the gym as the "fat" person...I was scared/embarrassed but it's not about other people...this is for you and it's your journey. And second, find the thing you love to do and make it about a goal that isn't just the scale. I happened to find that I loved to run but more important the goal was the marathon, not just weight loss so I kept at it no matter what the scale said. Find the right thing that you love, you'll keep at it if it's fun and the scale ends up becoming an added bonus to your work! Know we are all here for each other and any way I can support you I'm there!!
  • huniejohnson
    huniejohnson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Lee just checking in on you. Keep it up and stay Motivated.
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The beginning is the hardest! Hope you're feeling great!