Had to take steroids for a week; scale says I gained 5lbs :(

Options
I was prescribed a steroid from my Dr to help with a skin infection that resulted from a bad allergic reaction. All he warned me was that I was going to get a boost of energy; and he was right. I had more pep in my step and found that I was drinking water like crazy. I didn't increase my calorie intake; but after the week; my scale said I gained 5lbs! :worried: Is this normal ?

Replies

• x3Karma3x
    x3Karma3x Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Steriods are known to cause weight gain/water retention. I was on them for a few months and puffed up like a chipmunk :#
    I did eventually lose it.
  • jamezbond
    jamezbond Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You were probably on prednisone or another catabolic steroid. This is the opposite of an anabolic steroid. Catabolic steroids don't build muscle, they (generally) break tissue down, and can cause fluid retention and aggression, etc., but they usually go away when you stop. You will be your slim self in no time!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Keep drinking that water like crazy and it will eventually go away.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I will never be off steroids. The retention comes and goes.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ROIDS?!! She ain't natty! Burn her!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I took prednisone for six months and gained 30 pounds. You retain water and it increases your appetite and blood sugar. The medication helped but the side effects sucked. I bet the weight will come off in the next few weeks. :) I got all the weight off fairly quickly when my doctor discontinued the medication.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I took prednisone for six months and gained 30 pounds. You retain water and it increases your appetite and blood sugar. The medication helped but the side effects sucked. I bet the weight will come off in the next few weeks. :) I got all the weight off fairly quickly when my doctor discontinued the medication.

Not 30 lbs, but a similar experience with prednisone, god it make me hungry all the time.
  • fitforeternity493
    fitforeternity493 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My advice is to not look on the scale when your sick or on any medications, especially if you didn't increase your intake of calories.. Yes it's completely normal as it's just water weight, however can cause anyone to freakout or worry.. You might also be constipated and that my cause you to weigh more. The scale isn't always accurate in that regard.