Getting over the mental hurdle of eating all the calories :S

2»

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Therapy. Sounds like the beginning of an eating disorder to me.

Where do you get that idea? Are you a therapist or a psychologist? Do you have personal history with an eating disorder? This is not the kind of encouragement and motivation that anyone needs or deserves.

Girls are more likely to develop and eating disorder. Therapy was also my first thought, I also struggle to eat all my calories and I have a history of eating disorders. BUT thought it because 'mental hurdle' was used to describe eating. That always makes me wonder. I also only ate 1000 calories of my the...1,600 I was supposed to (including my exercise cals) and burned about half of them (netting a piddly 4-500). Sometimes you don't meet the mark, sometimes, like me today, you plan on eating dinner but after an hour run/walk you are too tired to eat, you aren't hungry and so you don't. I ate a peach instead of my intended dinner. I'm wasn't hungry, I'm not hungry now, I'm not worrying about it.

I also think EVERYONE should be in therapy. Seriously, go once or twice, hunt around for a therapist, it's fun, its useful, it's a person to whom you can trash EVERYONE you've ever met and there are no consequences. I love therapy.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407

Where do you get that idea? Are you a therapist or a psychologist? Do you have personal history with an eating disorder? This is not the kind of encouragement and motivation that anyone needs or deserves.

*Shrug*. If she does have an ED, sometimes that kind of blunt talk is the "kick in the pants" needed to really sit down and think, "Do I have a healthy relationship with food?" I agree if EVERY response on here was like that, it wouldn't be helpful, but I don't think you need to jump on the one person bluntly suggesting therapy so quickly. It may be true. (I wasn't the one who said it originally, btw.)

You make an excellent point.
  • kabatoff
    kabatoff Posts: 54
    :smile: Thanks for the help... I guess I need to think about eating more... which doesn't seem right when I am trying to lose weight. But I know and understand what everyone is saying.. its just that mental hurdle...
  • I'm glad i'm not the only one experiencing this. My issue is while i could eat more the sodium levels would be WAY over instead of right on target or 100-200 over and my blood pressure would go up.

I guess the only thing i can do is eat "clean" foods where sodium content is very low. And fill up on those? A lot of the time besides the 3 meals a day i'm not hungry and so I don't feel the urge to go eat more food.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Im sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but if you felt healthy before eating less calories and losing weight and you don't have that much more to lose...I think it is fine to continue this way until you get to a healthy weight you enjoy...then eat healthy from there on out ^.^

of course im not a doctor or anything...this is what I am doing though, and I do NOT have an eating disorder -- I am just limiting my calories until I reach my goal weight (I'm the size of a 10 year old btw...so my goal weight is fine lol).
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I find alot of people that are screaming to eat your calories are new and dont know what to expect or are skinny active men who dont have a clue what it is really like. I lost 13.5 lbs out of the 16lb i by eating back the calories. I stopped eating them all back the past two weeks. Lost 2.5 lbs the fist week and nothing the next but i had a bad weekend with high sodium. SO my next weigh in will tell me if i should keep at it or start eating it up again and having fun with my food.lol
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member

*Shrug*. If she does have an ED, sometimes that kind of blunt talk is the "kick in the pants" needed to really sit down and think, "Do I have a healthy relationship with food?" I agree if EVERY response on here was like that, it wouldn't be helpful, but I don't think you need to jump on the one person bluntly suggesting therapy so quickly. It may be true. (I wasn't the one who said it originally, btw.)

You make an excellent point.

=) Thank you.

To the person above who said it's mostly skinny men who advocate eating their exercise calories, I for one am definitely not either naturally skinny or a man, but eating my exercise calories has been crucial for my ability to get down from a body fat percentage of 23 to 19-20. Before I ate my exercise calories, I had plateaued at 23% for months!!
  • malee67
    malee67 Posts: 1 Member
    I just started "MyfitnessPal" a couple of weeks ago and loved reading all your posts..I have been trying to eat my 1200 calories a day but there are still days I want more...the weather has been too hot so I haven't been out for any walks..Hoping if I keep reading different posts it will help me stick to it and keep losing..Great Job everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.