How to track Crossfit?

Options
embids
embids Posts: 2 Member
Hi guys!

I've just started crossfit classes (loving it so far!) but unsure how best to track my exercise in MyFitnessPal...

Does it come under "circuit training"? My class is about 50 minutes long, but the calories it says you burn in 50 minutes is surely too many... right? Same goes for "Metabolic Conditioning".
Or am I supposed to try and track each and every exercise individually? (E.g., 30 dead lifts at 15lb, etc) Seems likely to be pretty innaccurate! Short of forking out to get a Fitbit ($$$!), not sure what's best to do.

If I'm going to take this seriously, I want to do it right. I'd appreciate your tips for this one. Thanks!

Replies

• JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit and base everything off of energy levels, body weight. I also monitor muscle definition for body fat purposes. You will need to fuel your body properly or you will begin to burn out quickly. Depending on how many times a week you are WOD'ing you can probably get by with more carbs too.

Find your maintenance cals. Then adjust Macros from there depending on your fitness goals.

There really is no good way to track crossfit because the workouts and intensity vary so much. You will have to be on point with tracking everything so you can get it dialed in.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are consistently doing it, I'd considering switching to the TDEE method so you won't have to worry about eating back exercise calories. Because in all reality, it's rather difficult to know what you are burning.
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to use circuit training but adjust the calories just as a guestimate, based on the difficulty of the metcon, i.e. if it was more strength work than cardio (max cals on bike or rower, 400 m runs and box jumps, etc.). I had a friend that went with me too that was the same weight/height that wore a heart rate monitor too so that helped. I'd usually burn between 250-500 calories a day depending on the class!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you are consistently doing it, I'd considering switching to the TDEE method so you won't have to worry about eating back exercise calories. Because in all reality, it's rather difficult to know what you are burning.

This is my suggestion too. Actually, I'd suggest this for any person doing consistent exercise.
  • embids
    embids Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

This is my suggestion too. Actually, I'd suggest this for any person doing consistent exercise.

Thanks for your input guys!
    This might be a silly question, but what is the TDEE method? @rybo
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    embids wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »

Thanks for your input guys!
    This might be a silly question, but what is the TDEE method? @rybo

The TDEE method or Total Daily Energy Expenditure (also referred as EE or TEE) is a method of calculating total expenditure to incorporate all aspects of the energy balance equation; Basal metabolic rate (BMR: calories burned through metabolic processes) + Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT: calories burned through non exercise daily activities) + Thermal Effect of Food (TEF: calories burned through digestion) + Thermal Effect of Activity (TEA: calories burned through intentional exercise).

With a TDEE calculator, it estimates your total calories burned in a given day; they estimate BMR through various metabolic formulas and then use a activity multiplier. From there you'd take a reduction of calories and eat the same level every day (this way, you aren't chasing exercise calories). From there, you'd take a 15-20% reduction of that number.

Now, the key here is incorporating a feedback loop (why most people fail). This means, tracking calories for 4-6 weeks and adjusting calories based on actual results.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

For example: They estimate my TDEE to be 2800

If I average 2200 and lost 1.5 lbs per week (on average over 4 weeks)

So to figure out what my actual TDEE, I can use the above data.

1.5lbs/week = (3500 * 1.5) = 5250 (total deficit)
    Avg daily deficit = (5250/7) = 750
    Actual TDEE = 2200 + 750 = 2950

So I would then recalculate calories based on actual avg expenditure

Daily needs = 2950 * (1-.2) = 2360 (~590 calorie deficit - so just over 1 lb per week)
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yup, I just have it as part of my daily activity.