My food log is getting out of hand!

Options
I spend a lot of time searching for each food - I dislike the way there is no consistency in the way the food is entered on the database and also in the way the amounts are listed.. but.. anyway, that isn't the main issue - I can see that I need to somehow record my regularly used foods on my "personal" list and to use the "recipes" feature, more. .. So, here is my actual question - I have mountains of items listed on the "recent" list etc and I would basically like to clear every thing out and start again..... is there a tutorial link or can someone totally talk me through how to delete from each of the food lists, and how to use the food lists/tabs more effectively, and also, does anyone have any tips for finding items more easily in the database? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For finding things in the database easily,

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Search that then copy/paste the food listing from the usda database into the search field of the mfp food database to get exactly that listing.

Pruning your lists? I don't know.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    A user currently can not delete items from the Recent list on the web version or iOS mobile app. MFP started rolling out a delete capability for the Recent list for the Android MFP mobile app version 6.13 on 21 April 2017. I have not had the opportunity to test that out, so the following only applies to the versions that do not have the delete capability.

Currently, the Recent list on the web version seems to be a plain, old database query that is regenerated each time the Food Diary is searched and displays up to the last 100 items a user added to their Food Diary, either by individual Meal, or by All Meals, depending on the display option. Those food items will eventually drop off of the Recent list display on the web version after a user logs more items. The Recent list query on the web version likely is not stored anywhere (it likely is regenerated every time the Food Diary is searched or the page is refreshed); which is why in the current design a user can not delete anything from it on the web version.

On the mobile apps, it seems the Recent list query can pull and display (using predictive text) more items from the mobile app Diary than what is displayed on the Web version.

The Frequent list displays up to 50 items from the Food Diary based on an algorithm that the user can not change, but a user can in effect hide particular food items from displaying in the Frequent list.

If desired, a user can change the default display to the Frequent list, from which the user can hide previous food items that were added to the Food Diary and which the user does not want to see displayed on a list of foods. On the Web version, navigate to FOOD > Settings and change Default Add Food View to Frequent. On the mobile apps, navigate to Settings > Diary Settings and set Default Search Tabs to Frequent.

Currently, the only way to have the Recent list query not display those items on the web version that have been added to the Food Diary is for a user to go back to the Food Diary and delete all instances of those unwanted items from every day that the item has been logged. A user can go back to individual days in the Food Diary and delete the food items one by one on the web version or by multi-delete on the mobile apps. However, once those unwanted entries from the Food Diary have been deleted, the Calories and other nutrients will not be correct for those previous days and any Reports, if viewed, will not be correct.

​Please see these articles, and search for other helpful articles, on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/374439-how-do-i-delete-an-entry-from-my-food-diary-

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/152746-can-i-remove-a-food-from-my-%22most-used%22-or-%22frequent%22-list-what-if-i-change-my-mind-
  • amandaann2017
    amandaann2017 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you JeromeBarry1 and CyberTone. ..
    CyberTone, thank you writing such a detailed response!.. I will work my way through the steps you outlined later this evening (busy day as always!) and thank you for highlighting links to relevant articles - I will definitely check them out. .. :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    thumbs up!