How to find a personal trainer?

Options
treecroz
treecroz Posts: 61 Member
How/where do I go to find a good trustworthy personal trainer in my area? I don't want to join a gym to get a trainer....ideas?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Which part of the world are you in? :+1:
  • treecroz
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Which part of the world are you in? :+1:

Barrie Ontario Canada
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Before you find a PT, figure out what you want to gain from one... Overall goals, Building a plan, form and technique validation, motivation to workout and/or work out more intensely. These are all different reasons, know yours and communicate that to prospective PTs. Otherwise you could get someone who simply will put you thru their prewritten routine.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ask around, see if anyone you know has used one
    See if any small gyms near you offer personal training (without joining).

Most trainers will offer a free first session/consultation so feel free to meet with them and shop around. Also agree that you should think about exactly what you want from the training (and how much you want to spend!)
  • treecroz
    Options
    Thank you for your wisdom and help @richardgavel and @slaite1. I will go "shopping".
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    how i did it was by typing 'starting strength coach' and my city name into google. that brought up an old thread on the starting strength forums, where someone else had been asking the same thing years ago, and someone had given that long-ago person the name of my trainer's club. i googled that and found him.

simplified for me because i'd been using rippetoe's book as a diy manual for a year. but i guess it does make sense. you go as far as the resources at hand can take you, and when you get to the end of that you use it as a reference point to find the next direction to go.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    1. Write down your goals
    2. Figure out how you want to get there (torture, reasonably but challenged, slowly and gently)
    3. Google "sports massage." I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but sports massage therapists see the havoc wrought on athletes by themselves and by their trainers. Call 4 or 5 and ask their advise using your results from steps 1 and 2. You'll probably have at least one name come up several times.