Protein intake

Options
Does it matter how much protein you take? According to Bodybuilding.com I'm supposed to consume 149g daily, but according to this app it varies one day it tells me to consume 60g another day 120g another day 45g. Does protein intake affect weight loss?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories are all that matters for weight loss. But enough protein (.8 grams per pound of lean body mass you carry minimum) will help you retain as much muscle as possible and focus the loss on fat.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    MFP is more a compilation of consensus recommendations and databases than it is an up-to-date "guide". When it comes to protein intake--esp in regards to weight loss and exercise, the RDA and consensus recommendations are a little out of date. Among the folks who are considered "authorities" on this subject, the recommended level is generally thought to be 1.2-1.6 g/kg body weight. I would use a number derived from that rather than any MFP recommendations.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Also, what is recommended for someone at maintainence is not ideal for someone in a deficit. Also, there is no downside to eating more than necessary but there is to not eating enough. The general rule of thumb is 1 gram per pound of lean mass. Since most people don't really know what their lean mass is, .8 grams per pound of body weight is often recommended instead.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I eat 1g/lb of lean body mass. I strength train 3/week so I need about 130g daily. Mfp gives pathetically low amounts of protein, but as someone mentioned eat for your goals.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Your protein amount is changing like that cause when your exercise is added, your calories increase on your diary.

Keep in mind the protein amount you start out with at the beginning of the day before exercise is the min MFP recommendations. While in calorie deficit it is very beneficial to eat additional protein as its helps with muscle sparing and it also provides satiety or a balance of protein and healthy fats and fiber rich foods.

For me my calorie deficit and also my training needs I am for a min of .8 grams per my body weight.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Also, what is recommended for someone at maintainence is not ideal for someone in a deficit. Also, there is no downside to eating more than necessary but there is to not eating enough. The general rule of thumb is 1 gram per pound of lean mass. Since most people don't really know what their lean mass is, .8 grams per pound of body weight is often recommended instead.

The only downside to eating too much protein would be if it completely crowded out healthy fats and other essential nutrients.

The numbers I've always heard are 0.8-1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.6-0.8 grams protein per pound of total weight for people in a deficit. Which are consistent with your numbers; you're just at the top of each range.

The key is to view the protein target as a minimum not a maximum. I aim for 100 grams per day on average but am happy to see numbers in the 110 to 130 range.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100g minimum for protein but am happy to go over that
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    According to NHS
    "The Department of Health advises adults to avoid consuming more than twice the recommended daily intake of protein (55.5g for men and 45g for women)."
    I eat a bit over double, at around 100gr.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    According to NHS
    "The Department of Health advises adults to avoid consuming more than twice the recommended daily intake of protein (55.5g for men and 45g for women)."

Do they give a reason? The US Dietary Guidelines has a range, but when I researched what the high end was based on it said only to allow room for the recommended amounts of the other two macros.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    According to NHS

would love to see the medical research behind that recommendation, because the RD's I work with (many who have PhD in their respective fields) do .8-1lb per goal lean muscle mass (but have said you are ok for more). I take 130g a day which is def. more than 2x the daily intake with no issues (my last blood work was to quote my PCM, as close to perfect as she has seen)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    According to NHS

That's so absurd to me. I wonder why that's stated. I'm 113 pounds and I usually get 110g of protein per day, sometimes higher but rarely lower. I couldn't imagine never exceeding 90g and if I followed the 0.6 to 0.8g per pound of bodyweight I'd be miserable.
  • angela2520682
    angela2520682 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat around 90g because i heard that eating alot of protein will help prevent excess skin and it helps with weightloss, but too much will stall weightloss.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1g of protein = 4cal
    1g of carbs = 4cals
    1g of fat = 9cals

I usually try to stick to 1g per pound of body weight.

Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum has a table on his website, barbell medicine(Scroll down): http://www.barbellmedicine.com/584-2/
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I eat around 90g because i heard that eating alot of protein will help prevent excess skin and it helps with weightloss, but too much will stall weightloss.

Too much protein isn't going to stall weight loss unless you're eating a surplus of calories. Even then, carbs and fats would do the same thing at a calorie surplus.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Protien requirements aren't usually set at one gram per pound of body weight. Country nutrient guides vary. UK suggests 53 grams per adult. The European Union suggests .83 per kilogram of body weight. North American standards appear to require higher amounts. IDK why. I aim for 55 per day as a sedentary old female of 5'7" and 9 stone. I am always over it by 20 or 30 grams. As summer depens My goals are to replace some protien calories with carbs from fruit. I heard too much protien is hard on the kidneys, I don't know if that is so or not though it would be good to find out. Young people can get away with more than those of us in the upper years.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    NA RDA is like 60g, but that is like the bare minimum for healthy body functions. if you have specific goals then your protein intake will differ
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Protien requirements aren't usually set at one gram per pound of body weight. Country nutrient guides vary. UK suggests 53 grams per adult. The European Union suggests .83 per kilogram of body weight. North American standards appear to require higher amounts. IDK why. I aim for 55 per day as a sedentary old female of 5'7" and 9 stone. I am always over it by 20 or 30 grams. As summer depens My goals are to replace some protien calories with carbs from fruit. I heard too much protien is hard on the kidneys, I don't know if that is so or not though it would be good to find out. Young people can get away with more than those of us in the upper years.

As you get older your body becomes resistant to protein, the starting strength guys (Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum and Dr. Austin Baraki) recommend more for older people as a result, unless you only have one kidney, or have some kind of medical problem with your kidneys, I wouldn't be concerned about it.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

As you get older your body becomes resistant to protein, the starting strength guys (Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum and Dr. Austin Baraki) recommend more for older people as a result, unless you only have one kidney, or have some kind of medical problem with your kidneys, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Yes, thanks. I think 70 or 80 grams probably won't hurt. Its amazing to me how even fruit and vegetables contain protien. Eating yogurt, some cheese and nuts and its relatively easy to meet the guidlines.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    According to NHS

I eat more than double that and just had labs run. My protein levels weren't even high. The only reason I can imagine for limiting protein is if your body isn't processing it properly.