Lost 20lbs as of TODAY

Options
Brian_Dempsey
Brian_Dempsey Posts: 25 Member
edited May 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I'm 46 and have never really "dieted." I've worked from home for the last 10 years, but the last several years I've really become more sedentary - and my waistline showed it! I got on the scale at 223.8 (for the first time in forever), and that was it! The next day I determined I would do a few things (the only things I knew at the time):

1. Drink more water and cut out cokes
2. Start fast walking (I'm now up to about 5 1/2 miles 5 times per week)
3. Smaller portions
4. Reduce carbs (just say "no" to the complementary bread)
5. Don't eat late
6. Healthy snacks (grapes, cottage cheese, bananas, etc.)

I've done this consistently for the last 7 1/2 weeks, and I've dropped 20 lbs. But I'm not "in shape." I really need to work on getting tone and flexibility. I have no desire to be a "meat head" and spend all my time in the gym. I'd like to simply have good flexibility and feel "healthy" in my body.

Both of my parents died at 66, my mom from lung cancer (never smoked) and my dad from ...well, you name it, he had it. So I need to do what I can now.

So, any guys over 40 who are losing weight and trying to get in shape, I'd love to connect!

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I echo your sentiments though I was waaaaaay past 223 lbs when I started. You are doing everything right and if you have made this as a lifestyle choice you will be fine. I find the real trouble comes when I am out with or helping friends and they think they are being kind. "Cool beers here bud", "You must be starving after all this work so I got you a McDonalds!". Even close family can be culprits "Go on, one won't hurt you". Stick to your guns.

What is your goal weight?
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Brian_Dempsey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Yeah, these changes haven't been too difficult. I totally competitive with myself. I have the mentality that I'm going to beat that dang scale - every day! I don't really have to worry about folks trying to derail me. My wife is walking and trying to lose some weight too. Honestly, nobody would have thought I was too overweight. I'm 6' tall and carried it "well" so as not to look too heavy.

As for a goal weight, I don't know. I'd like to get to 190lbs, but I'm not sure. Once I get around there, I'm honestly more worried about getting toned and flexibility. So if I drop more while doing that, that's fine.
  • floweredsteel
    floweredsteel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a meat head at the gym to get toned. There are plenty of body weight exercises you can do, yoga, or exercise classes that mix in weights to achieve your goals. I'm trying to lose weight too. Ive joined a gym (orange theory) thats classes are half cardio and half free weights. I do that two days a week and try to walk two miles each other day. If i had more self drive, i could do all the weights exercises on my own. Push ups, sit ups, lunges, squats, etc. Yoga is good for low impact sustained strength. Try adding a few things each day to see what you like!