Losing weight without losing my mind!

Options
feelmyart
feelmyart Posts: 10 Member
100 lbs to lose and no willpower to resist the tasty goods. I'm the queen of justification on how I'll do it tomorrow or just one cupcake!

I'm currently on a 1300 a day diet with these protein shakes that are nasty I have to drink twice a day. I'm also getting some kind of shot from the fat dr. Every 2 weeks that's supposed to help. I'm afraid I won't be able to do it, and I'm afraid if I do it I will fall back to old habits and I'm afraid of what my body will look like after losing so much weight.

Replies

• floweredsteel
    floweredsteel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Talk to the doctor about it. If you don't like the shakes they aren't going to work for you. They may be a tool to get your appetite to normal and then add in regular food at portion controlled sizes. I am a yo-yo weight loss-weight gainer, so i don't have it figured out. I'm hoping this time that with eating more regular foods of all types in controlled portions that i will be able to maintain when i am done losing. Its a process tho.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Is this a diet your doctor put you on? Honestly, you could lose with a much smaller deficit in a way that's easier to maintain.

Have you tried entering your stats into mfp at a rate of 2 pounds lost per week?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It sounds like you are on one of those expensive weight loss programs. How fast can you get out of the contract? You are absolutely right that this sort of program is unsustainable and that it will be all too easy to fall in to old habits afterwards.

This has nothing to do with any failure on your part and everything to do with a flawed plan.

You can lose weight while on this plan. If you transition in to a slower loss plan with regular foods you may even be able to keep off the lost weight.

Oh, and believe me, the weight lost is worth it for the energy, health and mobility gains.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want log it but stay in your calorie goal, and soon you will see how much those things take up your calories; and you will make better choices. Still have a cupcake when you feel like it. Weight loss that can be maintained is a slow process 1-2lbs a week is good don't expect quick loss like 10lbs in a month that is not sustainable. Why set yourself up to fail?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    feelmyart wrote: »
    100 lbs to lose and no willpower to resist the tasty goods. I'm the queen of justification on how I'll do it tomorrow or just one cupcake!

I'm currently on a 1300 a day diet with these protein shakes that are nasty I have to drink twice a day. I'm also getting some kind of shot from the fat dr. Every 2 weeks that's supposed to help. I'm afraid I won't be able to do it, and I'm afraid if I do it I will fall back to old habits and I'm afraid of what my body will look like after losing so much weight.

Why so little? Has the doctor explained, if it's them that has recommended that amount?

With 100lbs to lose you can definitely lose on more than 1300 calories per day and whilst eating real food.

• feelmyart
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Is this a diet your doctor put you on? Honestly, you could lose with a much smaller deficit in a way that's easier to maintain.

Have you tried entering your stats into mfp at a rate of 2 pounds lost per week?

Yes, I'm also doing that. It's easy to track what I'm eating here
  • feelmyart
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It sounds like you are on one of those expensive weight loss programs. How fast can you get out of the contract? You are absolutely right that this sort of program is unsustainable and that it will be all too easy to fall in to old habits afterwards.

This has nothing to do with any failure on your part and everything to do with a flawed plan.

You can lose weight while on this plan. If you transition in to a slower loss plan with regular foods you may even be able to keep off the lost weight.

Oh, and believe me, the weight lost is worth it for the energy, health and mobility gains.

It's not expensive and it does have regular foods at least for most people, I'm just a very picky eater. I don't like beans or fish or weird gamey meats. I don't like weird grains like quinoa either.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hold the phone! Do you want to lose weight? If you want it, you will do it .. And, in my humble opinion, the only way to do that is through diet and exercise.. I would get off the shakes if they are gross! Why would you wanna live that way?! This is a life change .. you want to drink that crap the rest of your life?! Not me. Eat real foods .. you can eat a whole lot and it's delicious! Don't focus on what you can't have, focus on what you CAN!! YUM! Add me if you need some support or friendship =)
  • feelmyart
    Options

Why so little? Has the doctor explained, if it's them that has recommended that amount?

With 100lbs to lose you can definitely lose on more than 1300 calories per day and whilst eating real food.

They probably did explain but it was a lot of info and I don't remember. My husband gets 1500.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options

They probably did explain but it was a lot of info and I don't remember. My husband gets 1500.

Lets get one thing clear, you're not your husband and you shouldn't be comparing your needs with his. I would suggest you go and talk to your doctor, get referred to a dietician if you have certain nutritional restictions due to medical conditions and do this properly. Take some responsibility for your health.

Drinking horrible tasting shakes isn't going to be sustainable for any length of time and there's no reason why you can't lose weight eating normal food you like - Food types don't make you lose weight, a calorie deficit does, so not sure what gamey meats, quinoa and beans have to do with anything.