Long Run in the Heat

Options
Because of my work schedule this week, I am doing my runs midday while the temps are in the 90s. This is my first summer in the south. Yesterday's 10K was only a 5.5M because my heart rate was very high and I was starting to get funny feeling. Anyway, I need to do my long run today and need to run about 2 hours. My thought was to try walk/run intervals but to increase it to 3 hours so I'm still running for 2 hours but walking for 1 hour of that until I get a little better with the heat and it'll force me to hydrate better during my 60 seconds of walking. Thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If it's your first summer in this kind of heat, I wouldn't push too hard. Ideally you would build up to running longer distances in the heat and staying out for longer (even if you're walking part of that time) is going to be hard on your system. Is there any way to switch your training schedule so you can do your longer run when your work schedule changes?
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's just this week is a bad schedule for me. My HR was around 185 for my run yesterday and I was struggling to stay hydrated despite slowing my pace to 90 seconds slower than what I intended to run at. I know the long run is important but I don't want to end up dead out there either.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I've lived in this climate my entire life and my heart rate was jacked the past 2 days because of the heat. Your body will acclimate to the heat after a couple runs but you really need to pay attention to hydration and electrolytes. I drink a lot of Gatorade and ad NUUN to my water in the summer. I also do my longest runs in the morning.
  • Charlene_1985
    Options
    I drink Gatorade too. 40oz yesterday and a few extra stops at the water fountains along the way. Still came home with a 2.5lb water deficit. I've always been a decent sweater, even during my winter runs in NY but this southern heat is crazy and it's not even humid where I am this week.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't extend your time out there. Just put in what you need to do. Try to hydrate as best you can and go as slow as you need to
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I drink Gatorade too. 40oz yesterday and a few extra stops at the water fountains along the way. Still came home with a 2.5lb water deficit. I've always been a decent sweater, even during my winter runs in NY but this southern heat is crazy and it's not even humid where I am this week.

Yeah, I would advise against extending your time. You *can* get used to the heat (I've run in the south and also in Arizona), but it takes your body a bit of time to acclimate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to the heat, being our for 3 hours in it is probably worse than just doing what you can walk/running for 2 hours.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Maybe, like starting over, using that "conversational Pace" we talk about. In the heat that pace will be slower, at first probably much slower, than you are used to. As you acclimate, that pace will increase, much like it did when you were starting out. Slow down, get used to the heat, It's really the humidity that hurts the most, acclimate and your pace will pick up. At all time, listen to your body, if it hurts, slow down, walk if necessary, you're still moving. Depending where in NY you used to run, summers came be plenty bad, you should know what to do, no?
  • Charlene_1985
    Options
    Thanks. I'll just start today off with a 2/1 run walk interval attempt and see how it goes. My next race is only a 10K and is still 6 weeks away so I'm sure getting out there with and just putting some time in on my legs and heart is better than nothing. I like to log about 35-40mpw; I'm at 22.5 this week plus today's attempts so hopefully I'll be able to get 7.5 to total 30 for the week. It's not perfect but it is what it is. Thanks for your replies. :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll just start today off with a 2/1 run walk interval attempt and see how it goes. My next race is only a 10K and is still 6 weeks away so I'm sure getting out there with and just putting some time in on my legs and heart is better than nothing. I like to log about 35-40mpw; I'm at 22.5 this week plus today's attempts so hopefully I'll be able to get 7.5 to total 30 for the week. It's not perfect but it is what it is. Thanks for your replies. :)

Try not to get bogged down in the numbers. From an exertion standpoint, your body probably will think you are running 35-40 miles, which is really the point in logging all of those miles anyway, right?. You will really notice the progress you are making when fall rolls around.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Can you run at night? Try to find a shady area, perhaps a trail in the woods? If you're training for a 10k, a 90 minute run should be sufficient. Maybe split the run so you do 1/2 at noon and half in the evening when it's cool/shady. Bring lots of water, but perhaps add Nuun or Fizzzz - something with electrolytes. If you have to, sit in the shade and get your HR back down.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Living in California most of my runs take place in the heat. It takes a few weeks to adjust and the pace slows down but it is doable. Just drink plenty and be aware of your bodies signals. Don't add time and don't change how you run other than slowing down.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    try using a treadmill and run indoor if it adversely affects you so much.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It is for this vary reason that I do my runs at 4:30 AM. It is really the coolest part of the day and traffic is very light. By noon and after it is just too hot & humid for me out there. The only thing I hate more than the heat is treadmills.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    try using a treadmill and run indoor if it adversely affects you so much.

It sounds like OP has at least one race coming up, so she'll want to adjust running in the heat. Racing outside in summer can be really jarring if one hasn't trained for it (at least in some parts of the country).
  • Charlene_1985
    Options
    I did a 4/1 run walk interval for the 2 hours and was fine. Heart rate stayed below 160 on average and the 1 minute walk allowed me to drink enough during the run. I normally run earlier in the day but I had to change my work schedule this week for a family event next week and could only work an overnight shift. I was able to cover 13.5 miles including a 15 minute walk warm-up and 15 minute cool down. The intervals actually made the time go by pretty fast too. I was able to stomach 20oz of Gatorade and 50-60 oz of water and actually feel better now than I have after a lot of my more recent runs. I'm sure this wasn't the best approach for doing a long run but I figure it's better than skipping it.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Houstonian, here. We've got the hot AND the humid.

Take it slow. Your body will adjust, sort of, but I pretty much always just stop worrying about pace during the warmer months (morning runs suck, too, because of the humidity - MY best bet is evening, but it's impossible, for me, to do a long run in the evening).

I probably don't have to tell you this - but use sunscreen.