I Think I have Been Making Mistake

Options
So I for the past few days I have been having left over gluten free brown rice spinach spagetti for lunch and sometimes dinner. I sometimes use a tablespoon of olive oil as my dressing and mix tuna fish and all sorts of veggies. When I entered it in it came up as 200 calories for 2oz. Which means that if I wanted one cup of pasta, that would be 800 calories, right? So my mom told me tonight that that amount was probably for dry pasta and not cooked because there is no way that there could be 800 calories in one cup of spaghetti. I don't have the package anymore so I have no idea, what the calories count is for dry versus cooked pasta.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    It means 2 oz in weight, not volume. A cup (8 oz volume) of cooked pasta is about 2 oz in weight.
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    it's easily possible to be 800 calories for a FULL pasta dish but not one cup!
    you've got oz volume and oz mass mixed up most likely.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'd try googling the product and see what you find. I did a quick search and found that 3/4 cup of brown rice fussilli was 200 calories, it didn't specify dry or cooked.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    The pacakge probably said 2 oz/56 grams and it means DRY weight and somewhere around the 200 calories.

When I cook exactly this much, it loosely fills a one cup measuring cup.

Kitchen scales a fun and useful things!
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I just had pasta tonight... 3/4 cup of fusilli was about 200 calories. Since you cook it in water, no calories added there...unless you have different water than me : )
    If you drizzle olive oil, thats about 100 cal per tblspn
    Tuna (whole can) probably about 160 calories.
    Veggies ....(depends on the veggies, check the bag)

Read each package and enter them separatly to the diary.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    General rule of thumb is that 2oz dry pasta = 1 cup cooked.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's 2 oz. before it's cooked. I had a panic attack the other day, thinking I had been measuring it wrong, lol. So I checked. I weighed a full box of my fave pasta and divided that by the no. of servings. So, I'm pretty definite the 2 oz. is dry. And you should get a scale, because it is weight, not volume for pastas usually. I LOVE my food scale! :)
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone....you have your weights mixed up. Google the manufacturer and you will find their nutritional quide. 2 oz dry pasta is about one cup cooked.

Pam
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much! I had a feeling that I was getting something mixed up!!
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish I'd known this before! I've been counting pasta all wrong (but too high, which is better than too low, right?).
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The package of pasta I bought the other day specified that the serving was 1 cup. It was around 200 calories, so that sounds about right :)