Building Strength Without Gym/Equipment?

Options
I'm completely new to any kind of muscle building, so any tips will be hugely appreciated.

Part of my college program will require me to be able to carry someone up and down a flight of stairs. As of right now, I can barely lift a garbage bag full of clothes. I run every morning and have started doing crunches twice a day, but that's as far as I go in terms of anything fitness related right now.

I live in a small apartment and can't afford a gym membership, so I'm looking for some ways to build up muscle (specifically upper body) from home. I'm female, 5'6, and about 120lbs if that helps at all. I've tried looking up some exercises on google but so many of those sites seem like total BS (if anyone knows any good ones please let me know!). I've had several people recommend push ups, but I want to add some other exercises into my routine as well.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Google "you are your own gym"
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you goal is to carry someone up a flight of stairs, then start by running up and down the stairs. and each day carry something up the stairs, and add weight each day until you can carry something very heavy up the stairs.

you can do pushups and pull ups and squats and all that stuff to help get strong, but if you need to train for something specific, just do that specific thing and you'll get conditioned for it.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Part of my college program will require me to be able to carry someone up and down a flight of stairs

Really? That's pretty extreme.

As far as I know, only fire dept candidates are required to do anything like that and they don't use real people in the test, they use dummies or they just have to put on a firefighting suit, a Scott airpack and drag a water hose (all of which weighs pretty close to 200#) up an open steel training staircase.

When I was in the police academy, all we had to do was drag a 200# dummy 50 ft or something like that.

If I were you, I'd question the administration on the need for such a test. Someone could get seriously injured doing that and they should be concerned about their liability if that happens.
  • theautumneffect
    theautumneffect Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 - I thought that as well, but someone who had taken the program before told me that was part of the fitness test (it's for a paramedic program). Maybe they were just pulling my leg?

Either way, I know there will be some sort of lifting component. I'll definitely e-mail the people running the program and see if that's actually part of it, thanks for bringing that to my attention!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of posts in the MFP blog on bodyweight exercises. Start there. Also Google "19 bodyweight exercises" there is a good article from Women's Health mag. Does your school have a weight room? Is there a community fitness center where you live? You will need to add in true weightlifting at some point to keep progressing after you get stronger from the bodyweight exercises.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I like kettlebell workouts as they require very little equipment (a kettlebell and mat), build strength and burn fat. There are lots of free workouts on youtube - Bodyfit by Amy had some great intro videos which were good fun to do. You could then move on to more strength focussed classes such as Simple and Sinister.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I have to say i agree with sgt1372 carrying someone down a flight of stairs does seem a bit extreme for a paramedic course. I think someone may be winding you up. You could almost certainly google the fitness tests for your course and get the details.

We used to do casualty carries in the Army (British) during FIBUA/CQB training when the instructors would randomly (always the biggest heaviest trooper) to become a casualty and you'd need to evac them. It was hard work even for very physically fit guys.

In terms of body weight training this site give some good progressions for full body strength form beginner to advanced.

In terms of training for that exercise specifically sandbag shoulder carries would probably be the most useful. Starting with a sack containing not very much and working up to carrying a (small) friend. I wouldn't practice on the stairs though!!!

A homemade sandbag costs virtually nothing to make and if you google sandbag training is incredibly versatile. Ross Training is a good resource for SB training, BW training and home made equipment.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Part of my college program will require me to be able to carry someone up and down a flight of stairs

Really? That's pretty extreme.

As far as I know, only fire dept candidates are required to do anything like that and they don't use real people in the test, they use dummies or they just have to put on a firefighting suit, a Scott airpack and drag a water hose (all of which weighs pretty close to 200#) up an open steel training staircase.

When I was in the police academy, all we had to do was drag a 200# dummy 50 ft or something like that.

If I were you, I'd question the administration on the need for such a test. Someone could get seriously injured doing that and they should be concerned about their liability if that happens.

Those 200# dummies are harder to carry than an actual 200# person because they generally don't bend/move like a person and their weight isn't distributed like a human body..

That being said, carrying a person or a dummy is as much about technique as about strength.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm completely new to any kind of muscle building, so any tips will be hugely appreciated.

Part of my college program will require me to be able to carry someone up and down a flight of stairs. As of right now, I can barely lift a garbage bag full of clothes. I run every morning and have started doing crunches twice a day, but that's as far as I go in terms of anything fitness related right now.

I live in a small apartment and can't afford a gym membership, so I'm looking for some ways to build up muscle (specifically upper body) from home. I'm female, 5'6, and about 120lbs if that helps at all. I've tried looking up some exercises on google but so many of those sites seem like total BS (if anyone knows any good ones please let me know!). I've had several people recommend push ups, but I want to add some other exercises into my routine as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you're going for Paramedic or Firefighter.

Sorry but conditioning your body to drag couple of hundred pounds requires weight training. If you have a heavy couch or a bed that would be your best bet. Practice proper body mechanics, not only does it save your back, proper form makes you stronger.

If you can make it to a gym I would suggest Deadlifts, Squats, Standing Overhead Presses, Farmer's carry's. If your school has a gym use it, and find friends in class that lift. I have VIP at my gym and I can bring guests for free, so thats one way around the fee. Good luck in your studies!
  • mindywilsford
    mindywilsford Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Darebee.com. Bodyweight workouts that you can do at home.