Disappointed in myself.

Options
Food is the culprit, I know I've been bad. I've lots 60lbs in the last 2 years and put back on 15 in the last few months. I was so good ate eating healthy and now I'm slowly giving in. Still do my workouts so for awhile there I figured muscle gain. I do have muscles but my stomach and hips are showing other wise. I need advise on how to be stern with myself with the bad food choices I make and plus I've been so hungry lately: I know how to eat healthy. :( I've done it before so why is it so hard this time. I'm 5 7' @ 168lb from 154lb. Any advice helps.

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a low weight can be a life-long struggle. I have personally dealt with self-sabotage when I get close to my goal weight. I figure that I look good, I can ease up on tracking calories, maybe a few more treats... then bam, I'm back where I started.

The key is just consistency and avoiding complacency. You just gotta keep tracking. I think I will need to track calories for the rest of my life, because eating intuitively just doesn't work for me. And I'm okay with that. MFP makes it easy, and once you start, it's easy to build the habit.

Keep tracking your calories and keep weighing yourself on a regular basis - then you can see when you're starting to creep back up and take the necessary measures.

Don't deprive yourself - work daily treats into your calorie goal. Just watch your portions.
  • 1reason2live4
    1reason2live4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had a setback too. After three years of logging and hitting my goal weight (lost 164 lbs) I stopped logging October 1st to December 31st last year. Wow....I gained 14 pounds eyeballing my portions. Needless to say January 1st weigh in was a shocker. So back to weighing and measuring and logging....I am now convinced that I need to be a lifelong logger to stay at my goal weight. So far this year I have lost those 14 pounds plus 7 more and I'm at a new all time low. Don't beat yourself up....you've been here before. Baby steps toward your goal....slow and steady consistency is the answer. You can do this....you've already proven that.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You just need to find your "sweet spot" in terms of what is sustainable over the rest of your life and build a plan that makes that a reality. 14 pounds is an easy 272 calories and 180 days away - if you do nothing but change what you are eating. IMO that is pretty doable; what do you think?
  • roxannerussell
    roxannerussell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks too u all for input. I do log everything, I stay between 1200-1700 cals a day, but I do great tell mid day when I feel the hungrest, and I eat too much at once. I usually have cottage cheese/ fruit, or protein shake mixed with almond milk, plus coffee, creamer
  • roxannerussell
    Options
    I had more to my reply but it didnt show?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just say no.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Most of us have been there. 15 lbs isn't bad; you'll lose it pretty quickly. Keeping it off is always the hard part. Try to figure out what your issues are. Too many sweets? Mindless snacking? Too much alcohol? Serving size? Eating out? Then work on those specific issues.

You say you get really hungry at noon. Maybe eat more protein at breakfast? More bulk in your lunch? Cottage cheese wouldn't hold me for an hour. Neither would a protein shake. I like real food.
  • roxannerussell
    Options
    I'm replacing premier protein shake for creamer, small changes. I've completed insanity 3 times and Body Beast 2 and running when I can. I am now doing Weights 3-4 days and cardio 2 days. I do like to drink alcohol which I quit for a while, now when we seem to relax in evening I want a drink.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about. Did a lot of yo-yo-ing, but I think I'm finally starting to figure it out. You lose the same weight over and over again, eventually, you get pissed off and more or less stop. I'm currently yo-yo-ing over the same 5-7 pounds, instead of the same 20.

With most things in life, I try to remind myself that it's a marathon, not a sprint. Like a marathon, I'll probably "get" most things right before I die. C'est la vie!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Another thing is to realize that when you do intense exercise you are releasing cortisol (and your body thinks you are being chased by a wild beast or the Heathen Horde) and once you stop doing what you are doing you body is then hungry and wants calories to support it for the next time.

How are you supporting your cortisol?

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Think positively - at least you caught it and recognized this early on.

Conduct this exercise. Write down 5 "bad" habits that you want to change or conflict with your fitness goals. Prioritize these 1-5. Scratch off 2-5 and focus on #1 - identify a "good" habit to replace this with. Repeat until this in ingrained in your routine and creates a positive feedback loop. Once complete - repeat this exercise.