thunder thighs needs advice

Options
Honestly my biggest issue are my thunder thighs (as my Dad so lovingly called me). I didn't realize until MUCH later in life what he meant. I am looking for advice on getting these thighs under control. I am 5'8" and wear between a 12 (on a good day) and a 14. I really want to lose about 45 pounds...any advice?

Replies

• Daliramire
    Daliramire Posts: 10
    Options
    Hmmm, I too carry a lot of weight on my thighs. I would suggest walking, lots of it if you can, not too fast cos that will build muscle. See if you can walk within your fat burning zone, which probably wont feel that fast at first but as you get fitter, your speed will increase and you can still stay in your fat burning zone. My zone is around 120 beats per minute (heart rate that is). Keep to a healthy diet, not fatty cakes etc. When I eat something fatty, my thighs feel like they expand immediately. Drink lots and lots of water. However, in theory sounds good, I am still trying to put it into practice myself. Good luck!!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I wonder this same thing about the thighs with every step on the treadmill. I'm in a 8/10 and they still are a problem. I'm hoping to lose about 25 pounds.

I'm interested in this advice too. Good luck!
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    Losing weight, in general, will slim your thighs. Also, I've found walking to be great for workin' my thighs and my legs all around. The key is to keep things tight and step tall. I wish you well on your journey through losing 45 pounds. You got this!

*smiles*

Jean
  • Laurabetha
    Laurabetha Posts: 15
    Options
    Love yourself, ALL of yourself. You are not made of separate parts. I have big legs too and I have found that there are a lot of men that would rather see legs with some meat on them, rather than tooth picks! Either way, you can strength them, but you cannot spot reduce. I love Zumba and do it three or more times a week. My legs are more tone, but until I get a little more serious about cutting calories, I will not be able to lose the fat on them. I am okay with it.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I too, have the "thunder thigh" issue....(size means nothing to thunder thighs, trust me, because my thighs do NOT match a size 2-4 body at ALL. But, I have been told lunges do help work some wonders in that area, so guess what I'll be doing a heap of??? :happy:
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What ? you mean thighs are not meant to be touching??? LOL lots running for me and now started with lunges and squats
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Pliés have been helping me. I watch Battlestar Galactica and do them until I can barely stand.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Overall body fat loss! But unfortunately your body decides where to lose weight. I'm 5'9" and my thighs are definitely where I carry my weight. I was about a 14 right after having my last child, I've slowly worked back down to a size 10 (155lbs) but I have a suit jacket that's a size 4. Before my last kid I was down to 145 and a size 8 but still didn't like my thighs yet felt my upper body was getting too skinny. I just decided to try to accept them. No one is perfect.
  • LenoA5
    LenoA5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are the way to go. They suck but my legs are the most trim on me now.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Cycling is the only thing that has helped me slim mine down. Squats and lunges seemed to make them bigger but thats probably all in my head! When I started cycling they really slimed down and have REALLY toned up.
  • gilmangirl
    gilmangirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a good workout for your legs. It's nice even when it's raining if you have an excersize bike too. I also find it alot easier and more enjoyable than running, but maybe that's just me, lol
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges for muscles, cycling/walking/cardio for fat loss.
    One of my first NSV that really excited me was looking down and thinking 'Hey, my thighs aren't touching!' It was the most amazing feeling! You'll get there.
  • ivyvine22001
    ivyvine22001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem. Thick thighs. Always had them, always will. It's who I am. So I've just learned to use them to the best of their ability. I run, bike, walk, hike.. anything that keeps them semi-shaped for now. I hope that losing 25lbs will help reshape them a bit more. :)

All the suggestions here are good ones! :)

Love your thighs! :)

Good Luck!
  • annebietsch
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I agree, walking (and youga) are about the only thing I enjoy doing regularly. More water should help!