Garmin Heart Rate Monitor/GPS....

Options
Anyone have one? Thoughts? My birthday is coming up and I was thinking about having my family go in together on one for me, but I would love to hear any reviews you may have on it first :)

Katie

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 with GPS. I don't use it to it's full potential but I use it the way I can use it! (I'm too old to understand it!)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have the 210. I love it. It's kinda the mid-range one I think. It does all the gps stuff, pace, splits. Came with a soft chest strap for the HRM. There are other models that do more things and have touch screens but I didn't feel like I needed that. I'm thrilled with my purchase. I think I paid $250.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 with GPS. I don't use it to it's full potential but I use it the way I can use it! (I'm too old to understand it!)

Well I will likely use it for its very basic purposes ;) Because technology is over my head ;) I see a good deal for one on Amazon, so I'm wanting them to get it for me while the getting is good, do you like it?

Katie
  • vwfrog
    vwfrog Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i love mine. i have a Garmin405cx w/ hrm. I trained for and completed 3 marathons with it. i love that it calculates my calories burned. right now i'm sidelined from running (torn ACL and miniscus from playing sports) but i still use it for all my other workouts. Get the footpod, too, so you can use it indoors. :)

i think i got mine on heartratemonitorsusa.com. :)

send me a note if you have other questions!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have the 405CX. It rocks. Running with GPS is really neat because you can glance at your wrist and see how fast you're going. Their web-based software at connect.garmin.com is pretty nice too.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have the 305 and have loved it for several years now. Be careful as not all models of the Garmin GPS + HRM calculate calories from HR. The 305 calculates calories from distance and speed, NOT HR. It doesn't take into account the extra effort for climbing hills, and such. I wear a Polar FT7 for calories and HR info, and the Garmin for distance + pace (yes, I wear 2 watches when I run).
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think is sat for a year because I was too intimidated to open/use it. That's how bad I am. For example, I take it to 6 Flags and it tracks my calories burned, how far I have gone, I can start/stop the timer when my walking stops/starts. BUT recently silly me kept it tracking mileage into the parking lot and ended up driving home with it! So you get home, load up your workout into the computer and voila! It tells you how awesome you have been all week, month whatever!
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and it has been great for my workouts - they are about $110 and totally worth the investment if you aren't looking to spend a whole lot!
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great tips here!

Katie
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I bought the 405cx last summer. I thought having the GPS would be cool, but frankly it became a pain in the butt! It took forever to find satellites, I didint ever really do anything with the tracking, and after I ran th Garmin software upgrade, it stopped holding a charge. I called Garmin, and they told me it wasnt from the software update, but that i was cycling the rechargeable bttery too much. What a load of bunk. It was less thsn a year old. I finally took it back and got the Suunto T3d and love it! If i want my track, i wear my Nike+ or use an iPhone app.....
  • dakuma21
    dakuma21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have one but only use it to track my distance and time so I can just run around exploring where ever I am. Without it I'd prob run too far in one direction then be stranded, haha
  • Cindi_Jo
    Cindi_Jo Posts: 19
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I'm pretty happy with it to track my calories. Then I use my Nike+GPS on my iphone to track distance, speed and my walking tunes. It's a good combo for me and the FT4 was pretty affordable.