Working out- Silly Question?

Options
This might sound a bit stupid but I just thought I'd ask!! I am working out 5 days a week, mainly cardio- sometimes weights and I've just started the 30 DS yesterday so I'm on day 2. But apart from the weekends where I normally have a break or just go for a walk- my body constantly is aching!! I feel like a really elderly lady when I'm bending over or something because it hurts me! I'm only 20! Is this normal/good to be feeling the workout or am I doing something wrong??

Replies

• agilegazelle
    Options
    haha if you push your body every day your muscles don't heal all the way. If you have more rest days then you won't feel as bad, but ive had the experience if i just wait a couple of weeks or a month then your body just gets used to it, and its not really a problem anymore.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    hey! it seems to me that you have just been working out a lot more than your body is used to, and that's what is causing the soreness. as you continue to work out and get fit, your body will become accustomed to the heavier work load and you won't be as sore. i also just found this thread kind of talking about the same thing, it might help you out : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/299194-how-long-is-normal
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I consider it a good workout if I am sore and a waste if not. Granted, your body will adjust.... But yes I think ur normal. :-)
  • gilmangirl
    gilmangirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe streching before and after workouts would help. It helps for me. Also swimming is easy on the joints if you have access to a pool
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ps. Water helps detox the lactic buildup! Drink lots. :-)
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's great to do cardio everyday, however, if you are going to be working with weights, do your upper body one day and your lower body the other...Your muscles need time to repair between workouts...Not sure if you are taking a multi-vitamin, but you may want to try it...Good luck on your journey..!!... :flowerforyou:
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I consider it a good workout if I am sore and a waste if not. Granted, your body will adjust.... But yes I think ur normal. :-)

i agree! i love feeling sore the next day, it lets me know i worked hard!
  • mmcperez
    mmcperez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The coach at our Crossfit fit gym said ice baths help tremendously with muscle soreness. The water has to be less than 60 degrees and soak in for at least 5 minutes. I'm gonna try after a hard lifting day.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Not silly at all. It could be a number of things. Lack of water can cause muscle cramps - in this case drink a yogurt smooth, protien drink, small chocolate milk, pickle juice, or cherry juice. That is for good muscle recovery.

Lack of stretching after working out - not doing it immediately while your muscles are warm. Lack of potassium --- in that case eat a banana. I would try those ideas first.

One other possibility, over doing it, stressing your body, depending on your type of workouts.
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You could try epsom salt baths, in warm water, as well to help relieve sore muscles.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i am in pain a lot from workout out actually. I am 19 years old and sometimes I feel like I got hit by a bus when I wake up, but I usually run like 7 miles a day, so maybe that's why. I think it's normal if you push yourself to your limits, but I don't think it's necesarily healthy. idk.. eat more protein & take vitamins!!
  • greensnow
    greensnow Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks for the tips thats great :D