low calorie foods that make you feel full

Options
what meals and snacks do people have, that particularly help them to feel full?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the opposite. I aim to get enough calories, and enough of all the nutrients I need, by eating a varied and balanced diet of all the foods I like. I will feel satisfied after meals, not necessarily full, and I expect and appreciate to get hungry before meals. And I don't snack.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    gem88mfp wrote: »

Generally high fat or high protein make you feel the most full.

Carbohydrate with fibre (vegetables) also work well.

Grains (even whole grains), starches, processed carbohydrates and sugars tend to fill you up the least in relation to calories.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    gem88mfp wrote: »

Generally high fat or high protein make you feel the most full.

Carbohydrate with fibre (vegetables) also work well.

Grains (even whole grains), starches, processed carbohydrates and sugars tend to fill you up the least in relation to calories.

Generally it varies from person to person on what will make you feel most full. For some it is fats, some protein and for others complex carbohydrates and starches. I do think it is safe to say though that simple refined carbs would be down the bottom of the list though as they can quickly fill you up and leave you hungry not long afterwards.

Low calories snacks that I enjoy are apples, cottage cheese with celery and greek yoghurt.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    non fat greek yogurt with fruit, apple with teaspoon of peanut butter, protein powder with almond milk, frozen fruit,
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Cereal with warm almond milk. 150cal per portion.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's individual.

Do you really mean "full" and is that something you need? I'd say satisfied.

For me, eating 3 times a day so I can have larger meals is one thing that does it. Snacking a bunch is counterproductive. Other people find eating 1-2 meals is even better, but others find that many mini meals makes them satisfied -- you have to figure out what.

Another question is if volume matters to you -- how much you see on your plate or physically eat. If so, the answer is vegetables.

Beyond that, people vary some on the macronutrients that make a difference, but for me protein and fiber both help. I also find that having more fat in my diet makes me feel more generally satisfied, although I suspect that's a lot about enjoying my diet and not feeling deprived.
  • LKjourney
    LKjourney Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Grapes! I like to eat these when I'm feeling peckish and trust me, you'll get full pretty quickly! Also popcorn ( I make mine fresh with a little salt - no butter!) is a super easy snack that gives you a lot of bulk for not that many calories
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Pizza.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Greens! You can eat a lot for very few calories. They make you feel full for a while, but do digest quickly. If you add a little fat and protein with them though, it lasts longer.
  • gem88mfp
    gem88mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your replies :smile: and lemurcarlt12 I meant enough to feel satisfied. Its interesting to hear what types of food help keep people going. Will definetly try some things out and see what works for me.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetables, roughly 100 cals per pound for broccoli, string beans, etc. Eat a pound of raw broccoli and you won't be starving anymore.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A serving of steel cut rolled oats. My home made real placement bar which is 170 calories (made from protein powder, freshly ground flax seed, rolled oats, unsweetened almond milk, and cinnamon.) Green veggies. Drinking a bottle of water before eating a meal.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots dipped in low cal salad dressing
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek yogurt with a tbsp of PB mixed in and some almonds on top.
  • MonishaB2017
    MonishaB2017 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I snack on cucumbers nearly all day at work. I like the crunch. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms and spaghetti squash are the 2 very low calorie foods that really fill me up.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein rich snacks paired with some sort of fiber help me feel full and satiated for long periods of time. Hard boiled egg and apples, string cheese and crudites, strawberries and greek yogurt, etc.