Period cravings

Options
So i just started my period and craving junk. How do y'all swerve away from those cravings. I know I should eat fruits and stuff but right now I'm craving chocolate and other sugary things but I don't want to mess up my diet.

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I just went through this last week. I gave into my cravings..... in moderation of course. I went and bought a dark chocolate bar, ate a square when I couldnt avoid a craving, otherwise I just kept myself busy, went for walks, did other hobbies. Fruit also helps. Night time snacking is always an issue for me, until recently. After dinner Ill allow myself some sort of treat, and then I make a cup of chamomile tea with honey, not only has it helped with my sleep habits, My body now knows, once I drink my tea, its time for bed soon and I wont be eating anything else, its totally just a mental thing, but its working for me!
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at maintenance the week before my period. That way I don't have to worry. I don't really have cravings, it is more of an insatiable hunger for a couple of days.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't get period cravings. If anything I can't bear to eat because of the pain.
  • thompsvi16
    thompsvi16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    when I start mine I want to eat literally EVERYTHING that's not nailed down. Telling myself no only makes it worse and redirects my hormone-induced rage at myself so no one wins.

Trader Joe's has an AMAZING sugar-free chocolate (made with stevia) and I will allow myself one piece when I need it. If there is one near you go there and check them out!

Carbs are more my weakness and I have yet to find anything that helps but just a little bit has been able to get it out of my system
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance for 2 or 3 days every month. The whole "eat fruit instead" or all the other supposed tricks just never worked for me. For a short period of time I overwhelmingly want some chocolate and nothing but chocolate will fix that. So I buy a couple of reasonably sized candy bars, or a single serving Haagen Daz or whatever and I give myself permission to eat that extra 250 cals without guilt. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't hurt anything, and it makes me happy :)
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I looked up online. Obviously it's online so how true it is I don't know, but according to some sites, it's possible for some people to burn an extra 300 per day in the week before a period which is what the cravings are about. It's the week before mind, not during. Maybe there's someone on here with medical training who could tell us if that's true or an urban myth. If it's true, then eating at maintenance isn't far off.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    All I know is I am ravenous the week before my period, and I just eat what I want... I have horrible horrible PMS symptoms so really what I am eating is the least of my worries. I have never gained from eating whatever I want while pmsing so I don't worry about it. Also I know that they say eating healthy can help PMS symptoms but even when I have eaten flawlessly (low sodium no caffeine no sugar) I still felt just as sick... so if I am going to feel like I'm dying and want to die, I am gong to eat nachos if it want them :smile:
  • tonadayuu
    tonadayuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a bar of 85% chocolate in the fridge so when I crave chocolate, I eat a square or half of it. Good thing I prefer dark chocolate.