found my new favorite exercise!

Options
Swimming laps at the gym. Can I really burn 500 calories swimming laps for an hour? I didnt eat back 200 of my exercise calories today because I was afraid it was giving me to much credits and I only logged 40 mins even though I really did 55 just to count stopping to catch my breath and in case it was giving me to much? Either way I feel like I have hit a gold mine. I would much rather swim for 30 mins after my strength work out then be on the elliptical for 20 any day and It might just motivate me to do an extra 15 to 30 mins of cardio since I dont hate it so much. Just sharing ;)

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    Swimming is an amazing, full body workout!!!! Try getting an HRM that shows approximate calories burned. It will be a bit more accurate.
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't give you numbers, but swimming is a fantastic exercise! It works just about every muscle you have.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - sounds about right - great cardio workout as it has your legs and arms moving all the time!!

I have found though that by working with a swimming coach my calories burned reduced dramatically as I learnt to "glide" through the water (I wear my HRM when swimming, so have reasonably accurate figures) .... so I can swim faster and longer - but don't burn as much as when my technique was really bad :-( You win some you lose some!!
  • gilmangirl
    gilmangirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's one of my main exercises and it uses most of your muscles! It's also alot easier on your joints if you have bad joints which is a plus!
  • dakuma21
    dakuma21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    swimming is better than running due to less stress on the joints. The whole body is at work as you have to pull yourself through water as opposed to running in air with little resistance.
  • skf1009
    skf1009 Posts: 2
    Options
    YES!!! It is my favorite! I have three small children so I not only enjoy the exercise--I also enjoy the quiet and feel relaxed when I am done. And it give s a GREAT BURN! :)
  • jamadler2
    jamadler2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I've been swimming 3-5 times a week for about 3 weeks now and I've already started getting compliments on my newly toned arms!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - sounds about right - great cardio workout as it has your legs and arms moving all the time!!

I have found though that by working with a swimming coach my calories burned reduced dramatically as I learnt to "glide" through the water (I wear my HRM when swimming, so have reasonably accurate figures) .... so I can swim faster and longer - but don't burn as much as when my technique was really bad :-( You win some you lose some!!

Yes, DRAG myself thru the water that is exactly what I do lol. There is very little gliding going on atm but I am sure that will change as I get back into practice haha. So good news and bad news. Guess I need to get a heart rate monitor. I didnt even know they made those water proof?