Breastfeeding and weight loss tips

Options
Does anyone have any tips on weight loss tips during Breastfeeding?

Replies

• EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, take it slow and go easy. I did keto when my second baby was only a couple months old and still exclusively nursing and it was a TERRIBLE decision. It impacted my supply irreversibly. The sad thing was, I didn't realize that my supply had been reduced because he was such an easygoing, uncomplaining little guy. It wasn't until he was 10 months old and not growing along the curve that I started to suspect. I switched him to formula and he instantly started gaining. I can't express how guilty I still feel about it.

With baby #3, I did not cut out any food groups. I ate at maintenance and let breast-feeding create a deficit. If I noticed I was more empty or more hungry, I would eat a little bit more. I ended up nursing her well past a year (even after I unexpectedly got pregnant again) and there were no issues with my supply or with her growth. I guess I would just say, remember that nursing is your priority right now and that you have your whole life to get back in shape. Good luck!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Entirely agree with pp. Set your MFP to maintenance and let the breastfeeding create the deficit. I lost all my baby weight plus 10 lb by breastfeeding - but it took 6-8 months. Take it slow, give it time, and don't cut calories too much or remove food groups. Nutrition is really important when you're supporting another person off what you eat.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    How old is baby?

My son is now 15 months (12 months corrected) so is eating solids and breastfeeds less than before so i now need to create a deficit as his feeding doesnt need as many calories.

I have to be careful thou as too low on the calorie front and my supply dips (i express after feeds to use my milk in his meals)

I have mfp set to 1lb a week which is what ive lost the last few weeks
  • Meh2Milf
    Meh2Milf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough protein (and fat). I found out I wasn't eating nearly enough protein and that accounted for why I was starving all the time. I thought it was just the breastfeeding hunger. IIFYM.com has useful information about losing weight while breastfeeding. I started following the If It Fits Your Macros way of eating about a month ago and it has really helped me (and my energy) more than I can express (haha breastfeeding pun). My 14 month old is of course eating solids, he nurses about 6-8 times during the day and sometimes once at night. I figure I burn 200 calories a day breastfeeding my toddler. Be prepared to adjust with the addition of solids, a decrease in night time nursing, etc. Personally I have only had a dip in supply on days I've been so busy I forgot to eat enough. I've lost 50 of the 70lbs I gained. Also it gets easier as your LO gets older. You can add me as a friend if you ever need anything :) sorry if I'm scattered lol