Down 90 lbs, still feeling like I don't look any different

Options
I started last January at 303 lbs.. focused on weight loss a little last year then fell off due to some emotional events. This January, I embarked on a super healthy vegan lifestyle and have LOVED every minute of it. I currently weigh 213 which is a 90 lb loss total and 67 lbs since January. Frustrating thing is that I still feel like I look the same. I should have taken before pictures to compare progress but I didn't. This morning I did take some though to compare in another 20 lbs or so. Does anyone else feel this way after a big loss of weight? I compare pictures of me currently to people the same height/weight as me and I feel like I look way bigger than them. Any tips or advice? I don't want this to discourage me from losing more. 8rbbexzvzmlb.jpg Here is a before and after for reference. It's just a face pic but it's the best comparison I have haha.

Replies

• Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it takes the mind a little while to catch up. Congrats you are doing great! I've also heard that with the more weight you have to lose the less it will show at first.

Can I ask you how tall you are? The extra weight doesn't show on your face in either picture. i.e. if I were to guess your weight by picture I'd be guessing 120 and 5'5.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think your face looks thinner especially around your jawline and chin :)
  • tayleranndavenport
    tayleranndavenport Posts: 8 Member
    Options

That first picture I was probably around 275 (303 was my highest) and that second one on the right was taken this past Sunday and I'm at around 213. And I'm 5'8.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Wow, I'm also 5'8" and at 206 right now and you look way thinner than me. I would have guessed between 120 - 140 from your pics. When I was at my max 269 my face was much heavier with double chin, and your face looks slim in your first pic. Where ya keeping the extra weight?
  • blett001
    blett001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It may be awhile before your mind will accept the changes your body has made. You will have to remind yourself several times before you believe that the weight loss was real and can be maintained. Ask yourself this, what can you do after losing that 90 pounds?

Running? Weight lifting? Increase flexibility?

My weight loss has been slow going. I started at 311 and currently at 279 but I can jog 3 miles without stopping. Last year, when I was just 10 pounds heavier, I could not run to 2 minutes at a time but now I can do 50 minutes plus. I know I have changed but I have to remind myself what that change can measured by in a way that I can recognize.
  • pdlaynor
    pdlaynor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, you look beautiful! Women have this terrible habit of being hard on themselves. Focus on the non scale victories, NOT the number on the scale. How do you feel? Do your clothes fit better? Are you sleeping better? Do you have more energy? A 90 pound weight loss is an amazing accomplishment and you need to feel good about that. You lost the weight. You did the hard work. I am in the middle of my weight loss journey so I know how difficult it can be to stay positive. Be proud of yourself as you continue your healthy weight loss journey. Good Work!
  • ForMyHealth226
    ForMyHealth226 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss! I just want to say its normal to feel that way because 213 is still a heavy weight but that does not mean you should feel discouraged you are not where you should be yet buttt you are getting there. Its really easy to gain the weight back so keep it up! Dont give up!
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It an awesome weight loss! Congrats! You (your face) do look much thinner. I think there is some kind of delay in updating our body image. I was relatively lean for a long time. Last few years I've gained about 40lbs. I have bought so many painfully tiny clothes because I had continued to see myself as 40lbs lighter. I know it sounds stupid, but in my mind I kept being this lean women with 2,3 extra pounds.
    My point is, give it some time :)
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Well done on the big weight loss - your face looks different and so beautiful! You remind me of Ashley Shaw (ballet dancer).
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you have any clothes from when you started? I keep a pair of trousers I was wearing for work last year at this time. So when I start to feel like I've made no progress, I post here, and then I go try the trousers on. Then I feel much better.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights & consistent exercise helps to give you the fit "shape," where often times, losing body weight keeps you looking the same just smaller. Your doing awesome btw!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Can't really tell anything from the pictures, you look good in the pictures and you obviously don't carry any weight there lol. Don't be discouraged.... You've lost 90 lbs. that's huge. Think about what how much you will weigh in another 6 months.