When should I start increasing the weight I lift?

Options
I'm relatively new to weight lifting. I've gone from flailing around, to making sure my form is correct.
But now I'm wondering, at what point should I start increasing the weight I lift?

For example bicep curls, Im doing 25 pounds 3 sets, 12 reps. But today I tried 30, could only do 8, 8, 7.
Should I stay at the higher weight with lower reps? Or should I try increasing the reps on the lower weight until I can do 10 or so for all three sets?

Any tried and true rule for when to move the weight up to the next level? Not limiting it to only bicep curls, just using that as an example.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm partial to picking a rep range, and as soon as I cap that, I move up. For example, with what you have here, 8-12 looks fine, and I'd stay with the 30 until you hit 12 for that, then move up again. Eventually, this stops working in a linear fashion, but once I have the weight up, I won't back it down unless I am cutting hard or something. We all have off days where *kitten* feels heavier than it should.

Keep in mind though, I only really do this for accessories, as they barely matter to me in the grand scheme of things. I have my primary compounds programmed more specifically.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My general philosophy is that if you can complete all the reps/sets it is time to bump the weight.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Once I reach 12 reps I increase the weight.
    My minimum is 5 reps. If I can't get to 5, then I decrease. If I get to 5, I keep the weight and work increasing the rep. Once I reach 12 increase again.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I take a similar approach, but do a set amount of reps. Once the weight feels easier and when I have no issue completing at that weight, I bump it up. Some days it's heck to get the reps in, other days it's easy, but once I'm consistent it's time to bump up again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - are you following a structured program?
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Essentially yes. I have to skip a few things due to a knee injury (no squats/lunges) but I try and make up for it by doing something I can that works the same main mussel.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm on a linear progression where the weight stays constant but the reps increase, then the next cycle the weight goes up and the reps go down. I pick a rep range depending on the exercise, then stick with the weight through that range. When I'm done the range I reset and move up a few lbs. That way the volume of the highest rep range with the lower weight is more similar to the volume of the first higher-weight workout.

30 lbs
    Workout 1 - 4 sets of 8 = Volume 960 lbs
    Workout 2 - 4 sets of 9 = 1080 lbs
    Workout 3 - 4 sets of 10 = 1200 lbs

35 lbs
    Workout 4 - 4 sets of 8 = Volume 1120 lbs
    Workout 5 - 4 sets of 9 = 1260 lbs
    Workout 6 - 4 sets of 10 = 1400 lbs
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I pick a rep range I want to work at and keep the weight the same. So each workout I'll do one more rep. Then when I get to the top of the rep range I'll up the weight and start at the bottom rep range. It means the volume of the last set you do with the lighter weight is about the same as the first set you do with the heavier weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Essentially yes. I have to skip a few things due to a knee injury (no squats/lunges) but I try and make up for it by doing something I can that works the same main mussel.

Then when the sets and reps feel easy you bump up weight by 5# and so on
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Any tried and true rule for when to move the weight up to the next level? Not limiting it to only bicep curls, just using that as an example.

Check out Starting Strength. It's tried and true. I started on StrongLifts 5x5, but I have gravitated towards SS. Add weight to the bar every workout.
  • mauryloko
    mauryloko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to weight lifting. I've gone from flailing around, to making sure my form is correct.
    But now I'm wondering, at what point should I start increasing the weight I lift?

For example bicep curls, Im doing 25 pounds 3 sets, 12 reps. But today I tried 30, could only do 8, 8, 7.
    Should I stay at the higher weight with lower reps? Or should I try increasing the reps on the lower weight until I can do 10 or so for all three sets?