Solo workout probs

Options
I don't have a partner to go workout with & I do mainly cardio but I try to hit 3-4 lifts each day too & lifting alone has made it hard to do certain lifts. Any advice on some machines & lifts that are safe to do without a spotter & maybe just some new ones so I don't get stale and repeat the same ones every other day. Thanks

Replies

• sballcoach
    sballcoach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell exercises are great to do they work multiple muscles at a time. Dumbbell fly, bench, lunges, deadlift, straight leg dead lifts, and squats. Cable machines offer a lot of variations also
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I always train alone - had years of major back spasms so decided I would neither spot for anyone or ask for a spotter. If I dropped weight on myself that was my look out but didn't want to flatten anyone else!

Machines are all safe alone, using safety bars for barbell lifts, using dumbbells all good suggestions but I would add you can always leave a couple of reps in the bank.
    Bodyweight exercises are also very suitable and safe for a solo trainer.

What specific lifts do you feel you can't do alone?
  • Julia4596
    Julia4596 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here!
  • healthyfitsamantha
    healthyfitsamantha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I almost always lift alone. As long as you know your limits and have the space to bail on a lift if it's too much, I don't see a problem with it. Just lift smart!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    When lifting alone, don't forget the power rack is your friend. You can set it up in a way to do your squats inside of it to catch the bar in case you fail the rep etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are you doing that you need a spotter?

In 2.5 years of lifting I've asked for a spotter exactly one time. My husband happened to be in the basement and I took the opportunity to try to max on OHP. If he hadn't been there, I wouldn't have tried it. None of my training programs have ever required me to push to the point of failure.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What equipment are you using/do you have access too? I always lift alone. I just make sure to use cages/racks with safeties in place, just in case.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I always train alone. The only lift I ever ask for a spotter is barbell bench press, which for most people could be subbed for dumbbell or machine presses etc. if no one was available to spot.

(I have asked for a spot during squats a few times leading up to a powerlifitng meet, but that was more to get comfortable with someone standing over my shoulder. I actually tell them if I miss the lift just let me dump it in the cage, they don't need to try to deadlift 300 lbs from floor to rack.)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Research how to safely fail lifts.

For example, I leave my barbell uncollared so I can knock the weights off if I fail. That's not exactly how it worked when I failed lol but I knew enough/had rehearsed it in my mind to know what to do.

I haven't worked out with anybody since college 12+ years ago.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    JayMatthys wrote: »
    I don't have a partner to go workout with & I do mainly cardio but I try to hit 3-4 lifts each day too & lifting alone has made it hard to do certain lifts. Any advice on some machines & lifts that are safe to do without a spotter & maybe just some new ones so I don't get stale and repeat the same ones every other day. Thanks

which exercises in particular are you struggling with that you would need a spotter?? as someone else said, you can do most exercises safely without a spotter if done right. only time I've ever needed a spotter was really more for lift offs on heavy bench (135lbs+), but even that could have been done with safeties if I didn't have someone.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I ask for a spotter regularly- lift off on 80% of my bench is difficult for me- and does not get me in a proper set up- so I do ask for a spotter there- but for lift off- not because I can't bench.

But I lift alone generally speaking- and then just ask for help when I need it.