What would you pack if you were going on a 12 hour car trip?

Options
What healthy food would you pack if you were going on a 12 hour road trip?

Replies

• moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Dark Choc, fruit, cheese and some raw crunchy veg.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Nutter butter. Water. Coke. Coffee.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    popcorn, fruit, cheese, turkey sandwich (not assembled, but pre-weighed!)... chocolate in the cooler :-)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Cooler packed with diet drinks, water, Gatorade, Chicken Salad (in cooler) and sandwich bread, peanut butter/celery, jerky, string cheese, nuts or nut trail mix, popcorn, protein bars, brownie brittle as my sweet snack.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    If I planned to eat in restaurants along the way, I wouldn't pack any food.

If I planned to avoid restaurants, I'd probably pack 2 or 3 sandwiches in a cooler and maybe a couple pieces of fruit.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Fruit, diet soda or water, salad dressing.

Why salad dressing? Because I can always find salads at local restaurants and turnpike plazas but since the calories are in the
    dressing, I want my own low cal to put on it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Are you not buying food anywhere? Like you need meals or just some snacks?
    Meals- sandwiches, salad, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, egg muffins, vegetables, fruit, cottage cheese
    look up packed lunch or bento box ideas.
    http://justbento.com/recipes
    http://theroxxbox.com/category/teenadult-bento-lunches/

I often have stuff like granola bars, fruit, cottage cheese, carrots, eggs, popcorn, trail mix for snacks at home so I would probably pack some of that.

I'd bring water to drink.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 13 hour drive with my bf to Northern Quebec in August so I'm in for ideas <3 There are no Wendy's in Quebec so my beloved go-to 250 cal chilli isn't going to be available at drive thru hahah
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    I'm planning on packing Kirkland protein bars, cold cuts and buns... other than that I'm not too creative!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    pickles? Hard boiled eggs, banana. Don't forget your pillow and light blanket.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    rdmitch wrote: »
    Fruit, diet soda or water, salad dressing.

Why salad dressing? Because I can always find salads at local restaurants and turnpike plazas but since the calories are in the
    dressing, I want my own low cal to put on it.

I always keep my calorie wise Catalina in my backpack for this reason lol. I'm not even ashamed anymore lol
  • bharvikpurohit
    bharvikpurohit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Food clothes make up!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    We drive from Ohio to South Carolina every summer. I am gluten free, so fast food is difficult and we have a dog, so we always pack a cooler and eat at rest areas (plus, munchies in the car when the ride gets boring!). I always pack: protein bars, fruit, sandwiches for my hubby and deli meat and cheese for me (I don't like GF bread), trail mix, and rice crackers and hummus. I also usually bake a big batch of somewhat healthy GF cookies for the trip and the rest of the vacation.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Anything that will fit in my cooler. Today happens to be chicken and noodles.

...and always have a roll of toilet paper.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fruit, cheese, hummus/veg, chocolatey granola bars, sodas, coffee thermos. If the kids are with us, PB&Js.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    it depends - I tend to use the full-service rest stops like Wawa and Stop'n'Go because they have pretty solid food offerings

if I'm packing food - then I do single serving baggies of cheese, fruit, meat to snack on; hummus to dip veggies in

or I make some bite size snacks from my one cookbook (feedzone portables) - this is normally my go-to on my way to a race, because I want to avoid any kind of stomach issue leading up
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, pork rinds, almonds ..... anything with protein or fat to hold me over. I may sneak some fig newtons in there :#
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    PB&J, almonds and cashews, water and protein shakes, apples, and some good dark chocolate
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would just have snacks, personally, and plan to eat my actual meals at restaurants. Jerky, berries, and protein bars are typical.