Beach Body programs a good fit for a guy over 40?

Options
After losing 20lbs in the last 7 1/2 weeks, I'd like to feel more healthy in my body. I got some great motivation and some excellent advice about calories and carbs, etc. in another thread. But I'm really interested in the Beach Body programs that I can do at home - to get in cardio, get more lean, build some tone and flexibility.

I've read several threads with folks raving about BB and all the programs they've done. But they all look much younger than me. I'm 46.

What are your thoughts? It sounds like they have enough programs to find something you like and go for it.

Replies

• marissabakescakes
    marissabakescakes Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think insanity would be good for you if you're looking for something cardio based. I've seen many people 40+, even 50+ that have done it. You will really be in the best shape of your life
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How are your knees?
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Brian_Dempsey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How are your knees?

I have good knees. I have to be careful with one ankle, but I've been power walking about 5 1/2 miles every morning, so it's getting there. :)
  • moonstroller
    Options
    I used the Insanity DVDs and my knees couldn't take all the jumping, and I was even going easy. Although I did see results, and quickly, after about three weeks I could barley walk. I can run five miles fine, but Insanity just has too much jumping for my knees. You might be able to get some clips on YouTube and then try the exercises to see how your ankle will be before you drop over $100 for the DVDs. *kitten*, I'll give you my Insanity DVDs if you pay the shipping.
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Brian_Dempsey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used the Insanity DVDs and my knees couldn't take all the jumping, and I was even going easy. Although I did see results, and quickly, after about three weeks I could barley walk. I can run five miles fine, but Insanity just has too much jumping for my knees. You might be able to get some clips on YouTube and then try the exercises to see how your ankle will be before you drop over $100 for the DVDs. *kitten*, I'll give you my Insanity DVDs if you pay the shipping.

I've been thinking about doing their online streaming program so you can get instant access to all their workouts...find something that works for me.
  • moonstroller
    Options
    I don't have web access at my house so I went with the DVDs. BB has a bunch of different programs I know, and I went with Insanity because of the high reviews it got from so many people. With the streaming I'm sure you'll be able to switch around until you find something that works for you.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well Tony was 45 when they recorded p90x so yup lol.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My fiancé likes P90X and has done Max30 Insanity with me. I'm 37 and he will be 46 in August.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My trainer is 46 and he likes them!
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    After losing 20lbs in the last 7 1/2 weeks, I'd like to feel more healthy in my body. I got some great motivation and some excellent advice about calories and carbs, etc. in another thread. But I'm really interested in the Beach Body programs that I can do at home - to get in cardio, get more lean, build some tone and flexibility.

I've read several threads with folks raving about BB and all the programs they've done. But they all look much younger than me. I'm 46.

What are your thoughts? It sounds like they have enough programs to find something you like and go for it.

Age really has nothing to do with the program you try. It's more about what you enjoy and your fitness level. I'm 55 and have been doing P90X from BB which is an awesome total fitness program. You can sign up for BB live for a free trial and if you find a program(s) you like stay with them and pay. If you only find one that you like, it's probably less expensive to buy the DVDs instead of the subscription
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have the streaming service and I love it. I'm doing P90X3 right now as a 41 year old who has to modify some things. I love that all of the programs give modification so you can work at your level. As time goes on, I find myself modifying less and less.

I think that there are lots of programs that would work for you.
  • AndreaWatkins2015
    AndreaWatkins2015 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and love BBOD, I've done Body Beast, P90 and Insanity, I love the variation that it offers. Age is just a number just be aware of any joint/health issues and modify accordingly.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    on demand user here. Love it! Love the variety and well produced compared to others. That doesn't really affect the workout, but I like watching something that's well produced as opposed to something recorded on a webcam lol
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Just because you think they all look younger than you doesn't really mean they are.
    Shaun's husband is your age and he does them. My husband is too.

Age isn't really important when it comes to this, though.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Body Pump. I'm also over 40 but I do have bad knees and back so I can't run, spin, jump, etc. So this is great low impact exercise for me that is actually progressively challenging. Too many low impact exercises are geared towards the elderly...I mean come on Zumba? Flow? Maybe in thirty years but I'm not decrepit!
  • feathernaut
    feathernaut Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My uncle did Beach body, he's in his 60's and loves it.
  • teepotpie
    teepotpie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and currently doing P90x3. I love it! It's extremely varied so the yawnfest of doing the same workout day in day out is not a factor (18 workouts included). It's also great if you're short on time (25-30 mins per workout). I'm getting amazing results all round and it is not too high impact. You will need weights, pull up bar or bands etc for it though and it will challenge you. I've done several BB workouts and this is my favourite so far
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone and gain strength & flexibility w/o the stress of a HIIT routine like P90 or similar, try PiYo (which is a hybrid of pilayes and yoga. You can buy the DVDs on eBay for under $30.

That 's what did. I'm 66, lack any rythym to speak of and was only interested in developing increased flexibility. I'm already strong, toned and defined but the program still challenges me and helps maintain and improve the strength and physique that I have already acquired.

There's a 60 day program calendar included w/the program but the program is flexible enough that you can just use those parts of the program that you prefer and fit best into the workout routine(s) that you already do, which is how I use it.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tried my first at 48 and it was Hammer/Chisel. That led me to 21 Day Fix Extreme and Body Beast. I got a ton from all of them and still do.