Bikes are among the most energy efficient vehicles we have.

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
Somebody at work just told me the energy content of a gallon of gasoline is equal to about 36,000 kCal. That gets me about 30 miles down the highway in my car.

I had tacos for dinner last night. They came to about 1,000 kCal. Those tacos get me about 30 miles on my gravel road bike.

Cycling is a fantastic way to build fitness, and it's great fun, but the actual/real calorie burns are surprisingly low.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Mr.Money Mustache is a huge fan of the bike. it really is a good way to get around.

I hate biking honestly (well my motorcycle is different) - but biking through Trenton to work isn't high on my priority list- but I have considered it- it's good to get around for sure and fuel efficient.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes. Cycling is ten times more efficient than running. So a century bike ride is equivalent to a ten mile run. This was measured on a road though, not off road. Mountain biking/trail running haven't been measured that I know of.
    Cycling is great for low impact exercise...running can be hard on your back and joints.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I had tacos for dinner last night. They came to about 1,000 kCal. Those tacos get me about 30 miles on my gravel road bike.

Carrying this a little further, I get about 5 miles per taco.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    And as much as people love to hate on them, E-bikes are damn efficient as well.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you'd burn on this thing but I think it's was cool.shbqbyqm9w2h.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    And as much as people love to hate on them, E-bikes are damn efficient as well.

I'm one of the many-e-bike haters.......I probably wouldn't so much if the people riding them would stay on the road where they belong. Our multi-use paths have a speed limit of 20 km/h and e-bikes have a top speed of 32 km/h and are silent. I've had more than a few close calls while out running.....

OP - not only are bikes efficient they're environmentally friendly.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Gasoline is cheaper than tacos.

How much gasoline do I need to drink to go 30 miles on a road bike?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Gasoline is cheaper than tacos.

Tacos are definitely tastier...... B)

• NorthCascades
    Options
    OP - not only are bikes efficient they're environmentally friendly.

And one of the very few things we've invented for convenience, that has the side effect of making us healthier. :smile: