Protein supplements

Options
cpfmrp
cpfmrp Posts: 18 Member
I'm looking at expanding my protein supplements as I'm not getting enough protein every day. Currently I am taking EAS soy protein supplement in the morning for breakfast. But recently discovered collagen protein and Pea protein. What is your experience and success with protein supplements?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I just have a whey protein shake after the gym
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use GNC whey protein in my coffee every morning and for a mid afternoon snack. I use about 90 calories at a time. I find it filling and it keeps me from eating junk.
  • eagleriverak
    eagleriverak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If there is a Costco near you, buy the ON Whey Protein. It has fewer calories and is regarded as one of the best. Costco has a 90 serving bag for about $60. Cheaper than anywhere else.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy products as they have been linked to estrogenic issues.

Whey isolate or casein are all you need.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate protein powder and Collagen peptides in my coffee every morning post-workout and have a variety of protein bars around for snacks or meal replacements if needed. My fave are the RX bars (mint chocolate, chocolate sea salt, and chocolate coconut are all fantastic!) and the Oh Yeah One bars.
  • manwaffles
    manwaffles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I second the whey protein shakes. ON is a good brand, make sure you're not buying a protein that's less than $15-20 a pound or you're probably putting a lot of extra filler junk in your body. Taking two scoops is fine, but just be sure you're watching that you are getting enough fiber as it can tend to cause irregularity and lead to bloat. Also, I like supplementing my protein with egg whites mixed in my oatmeal, it's super easy and packed with protein and low calorie.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Plus the protein is less bioavailable.

Whey all the whey.
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Protein Cake Bites (birthday cake is the best flavor in my opinion)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC natural 100% whey. Sweetened with stevia! It's also consistently 20$ per 2lbs container where I live since they re-did their price system.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I put them in smoothies. Add in some strawberries and spinach most days, although I've also made chocolate or hazelnut flavor.

Also I put egg whites into soups. I like to beat them well first and then stir them in so they thicken the broth rather than being big chunks.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options

The only case of soy causing estrogen issues was one guy who ate a ridiculous amount of soy products. More than what people in Asian countries consume. Otherwise you are perfectly fine eating soy products.
  • jennypatch9
    jennypatch9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Quest vanilla milkshake is THE BOMB! Ive tried every single protein powder listed on this thread and THEN some! they start out ok but then i start tasting their gross chemical aftertaste :( another good one is PE Science snickerdoodle. I also use collagen peptides in my coffee or shakes and that adds 9g of straight protein with no fat or carbs.

Other protein treats i enjoy occasionally are lenny and larry complete cookies (White chocolate macadamia nut, snickerdoodle, peanut butter, birthday cake flavors ate my faves), quest bars (Smore's, or chocolate raspberry, chocolate chip cookie dough flavors), Robert Irvine's fit crunch bars (chocolate and birthday cake flavors), nuts 'n more toffee nut butter or white chocolate nut butter
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Skyr yogurt is a great source of protein and is low calorie too
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I put collagen (the soluble kind) in my coffee every morning. It dissolves completely and I can't tell it's there at all. I use the Great Lakes brand.