Can't go to gym :(

Options
Been a mum of 4 it's hard to get to gym so I'm looking at some things I can buy at home what has helped you the most at gym and I could buy to use at home thanks for the replying

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to browse the threads on this forum for similar topics. There usually are several threads on this exact question, so you will read lots of good advice.
  • saphiresleaman461
    saphiresleaman461 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps I'll look throw the post on here!
  • CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started with a beach body program and got up a little earlier each day just for myself I had to learn the time is just for me and I deserve it and I needed to put my health first. You can check forum and youtube for a good workout plan and change your daily routine to the best you can try early in morning if you can as at night it is harder to relax and sleep after a good workout lol ! But get up and give yourself the extra hour before all 4 kids get up! 30 minute good workout and 15 minutes for a quick healthy breakfast or shake and 15 minutes for a nice warm shower before the littles take over your day ! all the best in your journey
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I recently got into at home work out videos and I am super hooked! They are so much fun and very effective. Beach body on demand has a whole database of almost all of the most popular programs and includes every type of home workout you could think of (weights, dance, yoga, Pilates) so you won't get bored, I love having the options. Also the Jillian Michaels workouts are really fun, and they kick your butt too! I bought those on iTunes. The only thing that's non negotiable is that you will need to buy hand weights for these to be effective, but they aren't very expensive. Good luck, it's definitely doable!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I started with fit-tubes and a YouTube video. Then I got a book on strength training and started picking up other equipment. To wit: a stability ball, resistance bands, a mat, and some dumbbells. Also a Nerf soccer ball, because some of the warmup exercises in the book require one. Basically, I've got a home gym for about $250.00 CDN.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Off brand trx straps.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use p90x and have a power block elite 5-70 pound weight set, pull-up bar, push up bars, some resistance bands.

Have the treadmill as well.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has a ton of content with a wide variety. If you have streaming, you can get an on demand package from them and have access to all of it on an annual basis.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    And yes, I much prefer working out at home, its hard to tell yourself you don't have time, when your gym is three feet away and you're creeping Facebook lol!
  • saphiresleaman461
    Options
    Thank you everyone for getting back to me I'm going to buy more workout DVDs on Tuesday!!! I'm going to set alarm starting next week Monday and do me an hour earlier then kids thanks again!!
  • Ashley_Nicole83
    Ashley_Nicole83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love fitnessblender.com, or you can find them on YouTube. Their website provides much more details on each workout, but they have over 500 free workouts, and they are all great. They offer bodyweight workouts, and workouts to use with dumbells.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    No need to spend a lot if money in dvds. Search YouTube and check your library and half price books.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com either with a set of adjustable dumbbells or just body weight should be all you need. Oh, perhaps walks with the kids ;-)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite piece of equipment are my kettle bells - I exclusively workout at home (and started a discussion on this board where the home exercisers can go and post their workouts, ask for ideas, etc...) and get some awesome workouts in.
    If you have a dedicated space I would invest in a few pieces of equipment like the kettle bells, some dumb bells, yoga mat, etc...
    Pinterest also has a ton of printable at home workouts.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I love fitnessblender.com, or you can find them on YouTube. Their website provides much more details on each workout, but they have over 500 free workouts, and they are all great. They offer bodyweight workouts, and workouts to use with dumbells.

I use fitness blender as well. Plus I have the complete Body Pump DVD set with weights, step etc. I also have Ronald Yee power yoga and advanced yoga dvds, rainbeau mars beginner yoga is what I started with. There are soooo many options for working out at home.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Even a 10-30 minute workout is very effective. You'd be amazed.

I like the YouTube channel "popsugar" for free videos, including resistance band workouts.

I added significant strength with resistance bands and general floor exercises. It's amazing what you can accomplish with them! You must be careful to avoid accidents. Some exercises involve attaching one end of the band to something like a doorknob and pulling toward you. (What could possibly go wrong?)

Here's a set that looks good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/7245456313/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8SwWybP9SE87E
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How old are the kids? Can you put them in a stroller or have them bike along with you for a walk? We have a close park and while mine plays I can walk the track. He's older though so I can get away with that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for cardio or strength training? I bought a Total Gym to keep my fitness up over the winter and I absolutely love it! It is a little larger than I imagined but it's not huge, and folds up nicely. In addition to that I used a step (like you use for step aerobics) for cardio. I usually just step up and down on it while watching TV in the evening.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks heaps I'll look throw the post on here!

Instead of buying right off - do inexpensive (or free) until you figure out what you like to do. If you are a beginner you will grow out of that quickly and want to move on anyway.

YouTube and your local library will get you started.

Jessica Smith TV is my favorite YouTuber. Fitness Blender is really popular too.
    http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/
  • saphiresleaman461
    Options
    My kids are 9-7-2-and 6 weeks old before my youngest was born I use to do a lot of bike riding but I don't like going out much since baby has been born as I'm breastfeeding and I still don't know when she wants a feed as yet