One meal a day.

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    I eat one meal a day. Its not ideal, but what needs to be done to keep me on track. I work overnights so generally I wake up at 8pm, work at 11pm, eat my meal (a tuna/hummus/lettuce wrap, a rice cake, a baby bell cheese, 1 cup of red grapes, a sugar free pudding, and one of those special K 100 cal pastry crisps) around 12:30am. But I'm finding it hard to make it to 8am without snacking so I might push it to around 3am/4am and add in a Greek yogurt and clementine later on in the morning. Without the later day adds I just mentioned, it runs about 665 cals. Of course, I tend to nibble at things at work later on to keep me awake which could make it higher. Then I get out of work at 8am, chill for a little bit until 10am and knock out. The one meal a day thing really works for me, but for those with a day job, I can't see it being satisfying. When I did it with a day job, I had no energy.

Please tell me that's a typo or I'm missing something. Are you saying that you eat just one meal a day (which is fine) and that meal is only 665 calories (seriously not fine)???

I think it's the "nibbling on things at work" that would mean 655 calories is not all she's eating. There's also no mention of whether she's drinking any calories.

Well, her "nibbling on things at work" would need to be at least 545 calories worth to be healthy unless she's extremely short.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    I eat one meal a day. Its not ideal, but what needs to be done to keep me on track. I work overnights so generally I wake up at 8pm, work at 11pm, eat my meal (a tuna/hummus/lettuce wrap, a rice cake, a baby bell cheese, 1 cup of red grapes, a sugar free pudding, and one of those special K 100 cal pastry crisps) around 12:30am. But I'm finding it hard to make it to 8am without snacking so I might push it to around 3am/4am and add in a Greek yogurt and clementine later on in the morning. Without the later day adds I just mentioned, it runs about 665 cals. Of course, I tend to nibble at things at work later on to keep me awake which could make it higher. Then I get out of work at 8am, chill for a little bit until 10am and knock out. The one meal a day thing really works for me, but for those with a day job, I can't see it being satisfying. When I did it with a day job, I had no energy.

Please tell me that's a typo or I'm missing something. Are you saying that you eat just one meal a day (which is fine) and that meal is only 665 calories (seriously not fine)???

I think it's the "nibbling on things at work" that would mean 655 calories is not all she's eating. There's also no mention of whether she's drinking any calories.

Well, her "nibbling on things at work" would need to be at least 545 calories worth to be healthy unless she's extremely short.

Have you seen Secret Eaters?

People literally nibbling and drinking 1000-2000 kcal and not even being aware of it is kind of common.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member

Have you seen Secret Eaters?

People literally nibbling and drinking 1000-2000 kcal and not even being aware of it is kind of common.

So unintentionally eating 1655 due to possible nibbling a 1000 calories worth of food makes it okay to think you are only intentionally eating 655 calories plus a little bit (that you think is only a couple hundred)? Do you not understand where I'm going with this?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    My lunch was 1400 calories today.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    edited May 2017
    From this research about meal timming meal frecuency doesn't have any special effect in metabolism The conclusion is that "it appears from the existing (albeit limited) body of research that increased meal frequency may not play a significant role in weight loss/gain when under-reporting, restrained eating, and exercise are accounted for in the statistical analyses. Furthermore, most, but not all of the existing research, fails to support the effectiveness of increased meal frequency on the thermic effect of food, resting metabolic rate, and total energy expenditure. However, when energy intake is limited, increased meal frequency may likely decrease hunger, decrease nitrogen loss, improve lipid oxidation, and improve blood markers such as total and LDL cholesterol, and insulin."

In other words meal frecuency (less or more meals) might play a role in diminishing the apetite thus reducing food intake but doesn't change the metabolism and it can help improving health markers and muscle loss when limited energy intake. There are cases of guys building muscle on one meal a day, the kind of activity, energy balance and nutrition are the main factors of muscle catabolism/anabolism.

In my experince you should eat according to your activity levels and preferences. I do an hour of running at 80-90% of my FR for the first 20 min and not less than 70% the rest, an intense excercise. When I do it with an empty stomach (+8hrs fast) I end up pretty worn out, even after eating I feel tired all day. Today I didn't ate at deficit and ran after eating 3hrs before, I feel with energy to run another hour, maybe following people and laughing hysterically, it's midnight... I'll be right back in an hour.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    For years my natural tendency was to eat the majority of my calories in the evening and around that one meal. On average I might eat/drink 300-400 calories during the day, then easily wipe out 2000-3000 at or after dinner.

Usually this only changes a little depending on workouts. Naturally if I do hit a long hard cardio session early in the morning then I'm too hangry to wait and eat in the evening. But even if I go on a 1000 calorie session, I generally just refuel and still eat more later in the day.
  • sherryzm24
    sherryzm24 Posts: 44 Member
    If your goal is to gain weight, then 1 meal a day is gonna be a bad idea (given the daily caloric requirements and various metabolic reasons associated).

If you aim to lose weight then there are tons of dieting protocols out there which you could select from like Intermittent fasting, Keto diet etc. in the end its all about restricting calories. so during weight loss having one meal a day is no harm unless or until you are getting the right stuff inside your stomach!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I tried it. I'd think about food ALL DAY... then I'd go home and have a glorious, glorious feast.

But it was too difficult to stick to. So now I do 2 meals a day: lunch and dinner. Much easier to stick to.

A real problem with 1 Meal A Day is getting all those nutrients into your feast. I'd be so ravenous that I'd just stop by a burger joint and eat a burger, fries and a shake for my 1400 calorie meal. But there's not much there in the way of vitamins and minerals. Basically no "green stuff".

Trying to eat 3-4 servings of veggies for one meal is damned near impossible. It's much easier to stretch that out over several meals.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member

you know for most people less than 1000 calories is not healthy right?

That's a "fact" made up by the American food industry. Around the world people eat differently and are fine. The US food industry is a consolidation of seed companies/chemical companies/packaged food companies focused on profit not health. Very powerful lobbiests pushing their agenda.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

That's a "fact" made up by the American food industry. Around the world people eat differently and are fine. The US food industry is a consolidation of seed companies/chemical companies/packaged food companies focused on profit not health. Very powerful lobbiests pushing their agenda.

There is science to support caloric requirements. So do you believe that you need less calories than a toddler?

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/downloads/calreqtips.pdf

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-2/

You're using government websites to try to show me the food industry lobbyists aren't dictating what the government guidelines for nutritional needs are. I think you made my point.
    There's science to support climate change is real, but the US government websites don't say that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

since when is a fact something made up? what people around the world eat has nothing to do with low calories. do you know how much everyone in other countries eat? what about 3rd world countries where they dont eat enough? are they fine?
  • bharvikpurohit
    bharvikpurohit Posts: 76 Member
    What are your views on the one meal a day diet, is it effective?

Very effective but difficult for me!! Cant stay hungry
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

since when is a fact something made up? what people around the world eat has nothing to do with low calories. do you know how much everyone in other countries eat? what about 3rd world countries where they dont eat enough? are they fine?

I found this chronometer really cool: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/what-the-world-eats/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

I found this chronometer really cool: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/what-the-world-eats/

it is interesting.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    It definitely works depending on your energy needs and the like. I only eat about 300 calories during the day and then have a HUGE dinner because I like going to bed full. It's what works best for me.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    only If the meal lasted all day and had at least 6 courses :)

I get to hangry if I cant eat
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    I've done this before! Usually when I am hungover AF and can only eat dinner.